RMweb

Which Models would you wish from Dapol?

Stefen1988

Firstly I’d like to say thanks to Dapol (and Lionheart) for the super range of O gauge wagons released over the past few years. I have bought a lot of the tank wagons and mineral wagons of various types, and am working through them with various modification, detailing and repainting projects. I’m also really looking forward to the iron ore hoppers and the toad. 

On the theme of tank wagons, something that’s really missing in O gauge is small diameter class B tanks of the 1907 or 1920s RCH designs. Often used for tar, creosote, chemicals or other dense liquids. There aren’t even any suitable kits and modifying large-barrelled tanks is very hard work as I know from personal experience. 
The small class B anchor mount tanks were very welcome (and I bought 6) but how about an older type?

A rectangular tank would be nice too. The old Slaters kit is of a very old, unusually small tank pre-dating the 1907 RCH standards. The later, RCH standard types lasted a surprisingly long time (into the 1960s). 

Another popular wagon type missing in O gauge rtr is the Lowmac. There are a variety of kits, some better than others. Skytrex did a rather mediocre rtr example but they’re scarce. In the 1940s a near-standard design was built for LMS, LNER and later BR giving a range of possible liveries. 

Regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2023 at 17:37, 6990WitherslackHall said:

A class 185 DMU.

No manufacturer has made a ready to run version yet. Currently they are being only used by one TOC: TransPennine Express. But they've carried 3 liveries throughout their career.

This is the problem with the 185.. three liveries, and most of the time these units run solo, so most people only need to buy one in their selected era, and job done.

I seem to recall at least 1 class 185 in a promo livery, c2000’s.

I've decided to withdraw my request for an O Scale D63xx/Class 22, despite Dapol doing very good 2mm & 4mm scale versions, as I don't want to die of old age in between any announcement and the actual appearance of the model..... 🙄🙄🙄😝😝😝

Well I for one am extremely grateful for the announcement of the 323...but would second support for a Class 116, which would be a natural follow on from the 122 bubble car.  Of course, how you would accommodate the Tyseley later year units which acquired lavatory equipped centre cars from class 115 and 127 units is a moot point but given they got everywhere and were replaced by the 323s in the Midlands it would be a nice unit to bring out.  Pretty widespread especially if you include the visually similar Class 125 units which worked the Great Eastern and Great Northern routes up to the mid 1970s.  I expect it would be popular in both OO and N as well.

• Agree 2

On 04/12/2023 at 18:22, adb968008 said:

This is the problem with the 185.. three liveries, and most of the time these units run solo, so most people only need to buy one in their selected era, and job done.

There's been a few promotional liveries, or variations, Liverpool Capital of Culture '08, Pride, Remembrance Day, Eurovision, and Andy's Man Club spring to mind.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

how you would accommodate the Tyseley later year units which acquired lavatory equipped centre cars from class 115 and 127 units is a moot point but given they got everywhere....

And  provide the famous Tyseley Scratch Sets as well, where at least one car of a 3-car set was in a different livery to the other two, such as a WMPTE white/blue stripe centre car sandwiched between two blue/grey driving cars. 😁🤣👍

On 05/12/2023 at 23:20, wombatofludham said:

Well I for one am extremely grateful for the announcement of the 323...but would second support for a Class 116, which would be a natural follow on from the 122 bubble car.  Of course, how you would accommodate the Tyseley later year units which acquired lavatory equipped centre cars from class 115 and 127 units is a moot point but given they got everywhere and were replaced by the 323s in the Midlands it would be a nice unit to bring out.  Pretty widespread especially if you include the visually similar Class 125 units which worked the Great Eastern and Great Northern routes up to the mid 1970s.  I expect it would be popular in both OO and N as well.

We're crying out for an N gauge suburban set, be it a 116/7 or 8 lol!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/07/2023 at 17:37, 6990WitherslackHall said:

A class 185 DMU.

No manufacturer has made a ready to run version yet. Currently they are being only used by one TOC: TransPennine Express. But they've carried 3 liveries throughout their career.

I second that. Probably more attractive to Revolution as there are only a couple of mainstream liveries to produce, rather than multiple liveries that Dapol tend to favour, but whoever was to produce these, I’d be in the market for four sets of these.

• RMweb Premium

There’s still some low hanging fruit . Now that they’ve developed an my drive for the 323 

A class 185 , looks like it will remain TPE fleet for some time to come 

Class 116 . A spectacular miss from Bachmann when they introduced  the 117 . A 116 was promised from Kernow but disappeared when Bachmann took over development . A 116 was widespread . Wales Midlands and Scotland . It would probably be less expensive than Bachmann too 

We are still waiting for 313/4/5 . Supposedly being developed by someone , but no sign of it for years ! 

A Swindon 120 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2023 at 18:22, adb968008 said:

They actually run in 6 car formations fairly regularly nowadays, but granted this is a relatively recent development in the last couple of years. On the positive side, these have run over quite a widespread area, despite only having one operator and they would complement the forthcoming Hornby TPE Class 802, which seemed to sell out extremely quickly on pre order and the Accurascale Nova 3 Mk5 sets.

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

There’s still some low hanging fruit . Now that they’ve developed an my drive for the 323 

A class 185 , looks like it will remain TPE fleet for some time to come 

Class 116 . A spectacular miss from Bachmann when they introduced  the 117 . A 116 was promised from Kernow but disappeared when Bachmann took over development . A 116 was widespread . Wales Midlands and Scotland . It would probably be less expensive than Bachmann too 

We are still waiting for 313/4/5 . Supposedly being developed by someone , but no sign of it for years ! 

A Swindon 120 

Agree with all of those choices - I’m quite amazed that the 116 and 120 DMU’s have been shunned by manufacturers for so long, while some other quite niche (and ‘bargain bin’ candidates,) have been chosen ahead of them! 

20 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

Agree with all of those choices - I’m quite amazed that the 116 and 120 DMU’s have been shunned by manufacturers for so long, while some other quite niche (and ‘bargain bin’ candidates,) have been chosen ahead of them! 

Class 120 coming from RevolutioN - but only N so far.

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Class 120 coming from RevolutioN - but only N so far.

Yes,sorry, I meant in 00. Revolution always seem extremely cautious about producing 00 gauge stuff, demonstrated with the two liveries offered for their 4mm 175 and 180 models. They’ve also avoided 00 gauge versions of their 320/321, 313/314 and Electrostar models, so I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for anything from them. Ben has said ‘N gauge sells at least as well as 00 gauge’ so they probably feel safer sticking with what they know with N gauge products. 

Revised Class 156 models with the universal toilet window modifications, so that we can have an up to date Northern White & Blue and Scotrail liveries. Also if the boxy underframe could be retooled, that would be a great improvement!

Edited by nickb4141

The Network Rail Class 950 Track Recording DMU would be a good choice - at least 3 liveries off the top of my head and they have been literally EVERYWHERE across the rail network, so an easy excuse for every modern modeller to buy at least one.

…..there’s not that many items you can say run everywhere! 

• RMweb Gold

120s sound like a dead cert from a manufacturers' pov, but what do we know?  High poll scorer, low-hanging fruit, shares underframe with bubble cars and 117, very wide geographical spread and a core element of the steam/diesel changeover period on the WR, which is a very popular genre.  Ditto 116, but for some reason both Lima and Bachmann chose the 117, which had much less of a geographical spread.  Tooling for different variants seems to be easier these days, but the 120s featured two different trailers, buffet and non-buffet, and two cab styles, the 1961 batch featuring 4-character headcode panels below the cab windows.  These sets tended to be associated with workings west of Bristol, though by no means exclusively.

116s have some variety as well.  A 117 is a 117, but 116s have two different trailers, an all-second and a composite, and several cab front formats with 2-character headcode and marker light variations in different batches, though they merged to a final plain 2-marker form in their later lives.  This may be one of the reasons manufacturers have favoured the 117; an easy life by and large equals better profitability.

I like the idea of a good quality 116.  I don't need one for my layout, but their association with South Wales would probably increase the number of South Wales layouts out there, which I highly approve of because the more interest there is in modelling the area the better chance I have of some of my more esoteric wishlist items seeing the light of day...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The problem with a crowded marketplace is choosing which way to go when looking for a new subject. Bachmann already produce a 117, so a 115 or 116 would be a simple matter of producing new tooling slides. Revolution are promising a Class 120 in N, which would be a logical release in OO also.

The 323 was chosen, as it has a 30-year lifespan and numerous liveries. The 185, despite only having two main liveries, has a very wide sphere of operation and has been much requested. My worry would be that this could be under development somewhere else for these reasons.

As to what is next...wait and see. We have a few interesting things in the development queue.

• Like 6