RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

In N gauge I notice they're increasing the range of models in countries the group operates in in HO; recently the very first RTR model from a major producer of a French steam loco — the 141R. There were over a thousand, and they survived pretty much to the end of steam in France, but — aside from Germany — there is little support for RTR N gauge steam locos in Continental Europe apart from ex-German locos., of course.

7 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Does anyone know when Hornby TT:120 track will be on sale (not preorder) - I have read they already have it in their warehouse.

Brit15

My understanding is they're waiting until at least some of the rolling stock is ready to go along with it.

Having said that, they aren't going to want to be waiting months between the announcement and getting things out there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I’ve signed up to the TT120 club while it’s still free, although I’m not sure I’ll be buying anything for a while at least. Do you get sent anything? It asked for a shipping address.

In theory you get a membership card and a printed copy of the brochure, with a regular magazine - not sure if anyone has received anything yet though

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

In theory you get a membership card and a printed copy of the brochure, with a regular magazine - not sure if anyone has received anything yet though

I signed up for the TT:120 club membership about two weeks ago, however it does say allow up to 28 days for processing.

35 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I’ve signed up to the TT120 club while it’s still free, although I’m not sure I’ll be buying anything for a while at least. Do you get sent anything? It asked for a shipping address.

It's just like Taskmaster, all the information is in the task, or in this case, on the webpage.  You get:

A pin badge

A lanyard for your membership card

A bunch of special offers

A quarterly magazine

Varying amounts off normal and special items

I expect that things will arrive in the post eventually, it's only just over two weeks since everything TT120 was announced, so given postal strikes and so on....

I wonder if TT membership numbers start from 1?  A low number membership card might eventually be valuable itself!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Littlethorpe said:

I'm currently constructing a new N gauge layout & using a Farish Class 08 for clearance checking. Then I'll do a final check using a Dapol 9F. If these 2 are OK then everything else will be.

No it won't, a Minitrix 9F and others still won't go....

Les

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Bear in mind it's only the first year's membership that's free, so best not wait too long before using the 15% discount (for however long that lasts) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/10/2022 at 00:10, Robin Brasher said:

Kitmaster did make some locomotive and coach kits to go with the Tri-ang TT range.  I have just watched Simon Kohler's interview with Howard Smith.  I don't think that TT does anything that N gauge cannot do and I also think that TT gauge is too big. a 4'6" x 3'6" board is too heavy for one person to carry and I think the maximum size board that will fit in my car is 4' 6" x 3'3" whereas my 4'6" x 2'6" N gauge layout will fit in my car and I can carry it down my stairs. I did ask my group of the Hornby Railway Collectors Association if they would be interested in a TT gauge layout and their reply was that they have got no more storage space and if I wanted to make a TT gauge layout I would have to take it to the clubroom myself and to take it back afterwards. If no-one had invented model railways TT would be an excellent scale but 0, 00 and N gauges have already been invented and I don't think TT 120 does anything that N gauge does not do better already.

You do realise that multi-baseboard layouts have been around for a while?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

With over 1900 posts and covering 7 pages apologies if this has been mentioned before.

In the new issue of Heritage Railways there is an story relating to Flying Scotsman being displayed at Kings Cross last week, in the article it said Hornby were displaying the TT:120 models at that event.

As the main sponsor of Scotsman 100 Hornby are very well placed to maximise sales of Flying Scotsman sets though either pop-up shops at sponsored events or even just encouraging purchases through their web-site with appropriate publicity..  

More info on the Club (from the back of the TT120 brochure/catalogue)

Membership includes:

• 15% off all Hornby TT:120 products
  • 20% off special promotional lines
  • Access to special bundle deals
  • Quarterly 32 page Club Magazine featuring tips, articles and guides
  • TT:120 Membership Card, TT:120 Club pin badge and lanyard
  • Exclusive Club models
  • Advance notice of uncatalogued releases
  • Free access to the Hornby Visitor Centre
  • Half-price Family Ticket (max. 4) access to Hornby Visitor Centre
  • Exclusive Club Members’ area on website
  • Free access to the Hornby Members’ Lounge at selected exhibitions
  • Monthly email updates

The thing is that there is a small degree of confusion over details, for example the trainsets are advertised as having 2nd radius curves in one place, and 3rd radius curves in others. It'll all become clear when the physical models make their appearance!

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

As the main sponsor of Scotsman 100 Hornby are very well placed to maximise sales of Flying Scotsman sets though either pop-up shops at sponsored events or even just encouraging purchases through their web-site with appropriate publicity..  

The initial trainset "The Scotsman" contains the A1 Pacific "Blink Bonny". The locomotive "Flying Scotsman" will appear in A1 form in Winter 2022/23, about the same time as the trainset.  I expect "Flying Scotsman" was excluded from the trainset to keep prices down.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I expect "Flying Scotsman" was excluded from the trainset to keep prices down.

I expect "Flying Scotsman" was excluded from the trainset to encourage people who bought the trainset to purchase the Flying Scotsman thereby doubling A1/3 sales..

Same with the way Mallard is excluded from the trainset.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I expect "Flying Scotsman" was excluded from the trainset to encourage people who bought the trainset to purchase the Flying Scotsman thereby doubling A1/3 sales..

Same with the way Mallard is excluded from the trainset.

Hornby have to pay a licencing fee to NRM for locos in their collection, so the box price will be a bit cheaper if those locos aren't included. The list price of the "Scotsman" set with "Blink Bonny" is already £20 more than the "Easterner" because of the lit Pullman coaches and Hornby want healthy pre-orders in what will be a price sensitive launch of TT:120.

I'd have been more impressed if Hornby had produced a model of "Caerphilly Castle" in Phase 1...

• Agree 2

Re. TT120 wheel standards.

Don't know if this info has already been posted on here,

I emailed Hornby technical dept. about this and got this reply (in less than 48 hrs):

TT is built to European NEM standard 310. Please use the link below for the table you are looking for, showing all measurements. The gauge of TT track is 12mm, so along that line will be the numbers you need.

https://www.morop.org/images/NEM_register/NEM_E/nem310_en_2009_20111116.pdf

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Matt Jordan
Customer Technical Advisor

Edited by philsandy
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The list price of the "Scotsman" set with "Blink Bonny" is already £20 more than the "Easterner" because of the lit Pullman coaches ...

I thought it had already been confirmed that the Pullmans in the set are the same are not lit, but otherwise are of the same standard as the separately sold, illuminated Pullmans

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

I thought it had already been confirmed that the Pullmans in the set are the same are not lit, but otherwise are of the same standard as the separately sold, illuminated Pullmans

That may well be so, it'd be just another example of confused information!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Do you have the source on that? Might not buy the set if so. Is there another explanation for the higher price?

45 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Do you have the source on that? Might not buy the set if so. Is there another explanation for the higher price?

The post by Frey that is part way down this thread indicates that he phoned up Hornby and asked (However I thought I had also heard someone say they got the same answer from Simon Kohler when at Kings Cross  - I'll see if I can find that source)

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/sets-329451 

EDIT: it is also mentioned in this thread
https://uk.Hornby.com/community/forum/pullmans-330330

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, philsandy said:

Re. TT120 wheel standards.

Don't know if this info has already been posted on here,

I emailed Hornby technical dept. about this and got this reply (in less than 48 hrs):

TT is built to European NEM standard 310. Please use the link below for the table you are looking for, showing all measurements. The gauge of TT track is 12mm, so along that line will be the numbers you need.

https://www.morop.org/images/NEM_register/NEM_E/nem310_en_2009_20111116.pdf

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Matt Jordan
Customer Technical Advisor

That's good news.  Note that NEM 310 covers the wheelsets only, with details of track and points in NEM 110 - see https://www.morop.org/index.php/en/nem-the-norms.html

I guess that if the wheels are compliant though, the details of the track probably have to be too.  I did some calculations on another thread that indicated that there wasn't a lot of wiggle room beyond the published dimensions if everything was going to work together smoothly.

2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

I just took a good look at the TT:120 brochure. The text for the Scotsman Set does not mention lit Pullman's at all (it describes them as stunning Pullmans).  Also the lamp symbol that is used against the individual Pullman Cars in the same brochure is not shown against the Scotsman Set when it should probably be  next to the DCC Ready Logo)

For comparison I then looked at The Belmond 'British Pullman' OO gauge Train Pack in the 2021 Catalog and it does have the lamp logo next to that set and I know the Pullman Cars are lit in that set.

Kind of hints to the same thing that has been posted in the Hornby forum i.e. that the Pullman Cars are not lit in the set.

Oh and no idea about the price difference between the two TT:120 sets

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Thanks 1