Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Hobby said:

A bit OTT for that comment, I'd suggest, mountain out of molehill springs to mind... I'll leave it at that, seems no-one has a sense of humour these days.

However half a dozen unconnected persons sent scans of the page/comment over to me yesterday raising eyebrows; it's incorrect to relate it to 'sense of humour', it's a generational thing.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Just to change the focus of this thread a little .............

I wonder who, when and where will the first exhibition layout appear on the circuit - other than the Hornby official ones of course.

And will it be a 21st century style exhibition layout? Or a homage to the old days, like this..................

TT.jpg.85f4efcebf2a906e3cef7f0b50de93f5.jpg

Wow…I remember that “battery pack” controller 😄

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

However half a dozen unconnected persons sent scans of the page/comment over to me yesterday raising eyebrows; it's incorrect to relate it to 'sense of humour', it's a generational thing.

Sorry Andy, but it's still humour, I could easily have said the same thing quoting exactly the same scenario and I expect many would agree with me. If he'd have said "partner" then I expect no one would have said anything, though, I suppose. 

To call it sexist, though, is making a mountain out of a molehill, it was said in jest with no intention to offend.

Trust social media to blow things out of all proportion.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

And it's rather said that something said/written in jest is taken so seriously by someone else... Sign of the times, sadly, that one can't say anything these days without someone reading far more into something and taking "offence"... 🙄

Even if said in jest, it’s not something that should have got anywhere near the printed page nowadays regardless of origins.

Sad yes.

• Agree 6

The only email I have received since ordering the membership pack arrived early this morning, asking me to rate my purchase , however I have yet to see the membership pack, although I have been away from home for a few days! 

Screenshot_20221108_105110.jpg

Edited by kernowtim

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

If only SK had instead used the phrase "and when your gender fluid, non binary life partner provides your equal share of the vegan surprise..." there'd be no such controversy.

There's no place for comments like that either.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

37 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Sorry Andy, but it's still humour, I could easily have said the same thing quoting exactly the same scenario and I expect many would agree with me. If he'd have said "partner" then I expect no one would have said anything, though, I suppose.

I can't actually see what was actually humorous in the statement.  Saying "partner" would have made it worse to a certain extent (because that would have been a misplaced attempt at PC) and putting "husband" would have actually been self ironically funny.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How difficult would have been (and to be honest, it seems more natural language to me) to say something like 

you can even do your modelling at the kitchen table, and when it comes time for tea, you can just tidy it away until later.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

45 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

The only email I have received since ordering the membership pack arrived early this morning, asking me to rate my purchase , however I have yet to see the membership pack, although I have been away from home for a few days! 

Screenshot_20221108_105110.jpg

With any luck, now you've commented on it (have a look over the past couple of pages re the email) the Club magazine should arrived!  Its been sent direct from the printers, so Hornbys delaying actions shouldn't hold it up...

There's an email link to customer services at the bottom of the email, drop 'em a line asking whats happened to your membership pack!  🤪

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Wow…I remember that “battery pack” controller 😄

I've a couple of those...

I've also got the Lonestar TrebleOLectric version.

And the huge battery box that came with the early sets.

I got a trainset for a Christmas long ago that contained one, and after it was discovered exactly how long three EverReady 126 batteries lasted driving a loco around an oval of track, a transformer and controller were soon forthcoming!

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

And it's rather said that something said/written in jest is taken so seriously by someone else... Sign of the times, sadly, that one can't say anything these days without someone reading far more into something and taking "offence"... 🙄

3 hours ago, TomE said:

Well I’m not going down that rabbit hole, but I have to wonder if using lazy, outdated, casually sexist language to sell model trains to the modern family is a valid marketing strategy in 2023.

Tom. 

Perhaps the idea that it’s ‘in jest’ just doesn’t come across very well in writing, as is often the case. The jump to ‘one can’t say anything these days’ is probably also a bit OTT.

Actually, something that I find similarly dated/clichéd (though it isn’t offensive of course) is the ‘you can do your modelling on your kitchen table’. Hasn’t this ‘advantage’ been done several times in the promotion for lots of small-scale/small space model railway stuff in the past?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

If only SK had instead used the phrase "and when your gender fluid, non binary life partner provides your equal share of the vegan surprise..." there'd be no such controversy.

How could they/it/thing…….after being up an M25 Traffic Sign for the past few days? 🙄

I've just had the magazine arrive.  Not had a chance to read it yet but I'm sure it will keep me entertained for bit until the rest of the membership pack gets here.  

As for Mr Kohler's comment, they may not have been the best chosen words but in my limited time back in the realm of model railway discussion I have gained the impression that almost anything he says will be scrutinised, analysed and interpreted in a negative light if at all possible.  I'm not quite sure what crime he committed in either this or a past life but it must have been pretty bad!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

I've been told, via email, all of my joining details could take up to two months. Looks like TT120 will be popular if membership demand is anything to go by? I'm in no hurry.

Its just the joining pack thats affected. You should get the club mag soon, as the printers are sending it out separately  You're a member, so you can take advantage of the discounts, etc.

6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I don't think that there are many advantages in TT:120 over N gauge.

Having tried both (and still having some Japanese N 1:150)... the only advantage I see N having over TT is if you want to do massive scenes and wide curves, if you want to model the BC Rockies or the Forth Bridge.

• Agree 2