Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The other interesting fact was that SK confirmed that TT:120 will be to "main range" standard rather than "railroad (+)", which is good to know.

Whatever that means.  The reduction in fragile details on some of the samples shown so far has  been positively commented on in this thread more than once. 

Hornby's ability to confuse its public is quite remarkable.

• Agree 1

On 19/10/2022 at 18:51, leonk said:

Ok, so you're looking at it from the UK, where shops get their stock from Hornby directly.

Here in Australia, there is a company called Southern Model Supplies that has the exclusive rights to distribute Hornby and many other brands in Australia.

They've been around for many many years (I remember their logo being on my Lima trains as a child)

They get to decide how they distribute the product.  They've chosen to do so by selling to stores as they always have.  

Hornby have nothing to do with it, they just supply the product to SMS to on sell.

Turns out I was spot on, SK basically said exactly the same thing in the update video.

Down side is we don't get the TT club or discounts that go along with it.

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Whatever that means.  The reduction in fragile details on some of the samples shown so far has  been positively commented on in this thread more than once. 

Hornby's ability to confuse its public is quite remarkable.

I'm not feeling all that confused. I take it to mean that they'll be dimensionally accurate, have lights (where appropriate), detailed liveries, and levels of physical detail appropriate to the scale, without having parts that may get damaged when handling, which is a Good Thing. 

Remember that TT:120 is supposed to be used, by a wide range of people and not put on a shelf and examined with a watchmakers loupe to detect errors.

1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

But I do worry that Hornby will screw it up.

Its possible, but I hope not. Hornby are doing something new in terms of British railway models, with a range of models that goes beyond toe-dipping. I wonder what the reaction would have been if another manufacturer had announced a small range of British outline TT:120 earlier in the year?   

I wish Hornby well.

43 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Why, oh why, oh why, aren't there any Southern models... 

There may well be, but they're in those nebulous Phases  that lurk in the distance!  🤪

• Like 4

Being a little confused on the matter of Pullman lighting I took up SK's invitation of direct email to which he very promptly answered. The train set Pullman cars are not fitted with lighting and nor are they easily converted by the simple addition of an led and pickups- which suggests they are not fitted with clear plastic light bar mouldings

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Seriously though, I haven't noticed anything Southern at all (unless I missed it on here or in the club magazine), which I find a little odd.  I would have thought with the Pullman's being on the list there'd a least be a Spam or Packet in a set to pull them.  

I keep thinking there's very little left that I want in 4mm but then of course EFE are bringing out the cross country sets... the b#####s!

Class 50? 

19 hours ago, SeanTT said:

Possibly to do with the way JK Rowling has conducted herself recently and distancing themselves from that as it may be perceived negatively. 

It's unproductive for Hornby to get into , and wisely avoided.  Since there can never be a resolution. For one side, for there to be various legitimate stances counts as a win. Rowling for example, is happy with discord in this area, according to her own statements.  The other side seems to want a hegemony, so they will pursue it in any forum, no matter how remote from the issue. 

Any company who wants to appeal widely, would want to duck a situation either of discord or of hijacking of their forums or products in furtherance of one view. It isn't going to add tuppence to their balance sheet. 

Edited by teletougos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Wasn't aware the Southern Railway used class 50 diseasels but you live and learn.

You didn't specify that it was Southern Railway. But Class 50's spent more than a decade heading main line trains out of Waterloo. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, teletougos said:

It's unproductive for Hornby to get into , and wisely avoided.  Since there can never be a resolution. For one side, for there to be various legitimate stances counts as a win. Rowling for example, is happy with discord in this area, according to her own statements.  The other side seems to want a hegemony, so they will pursue it in any forum, no matter how remote from the issue. 

Any company who wants to appeal widely, would want to duck a situation either of discord or of hijacking of their forums or products. It isn't going to add tuppence to their balance sheet. 

Plus all the available evidence is that it has had zero commercial impact on the Harry Potter franchise, which suggests that the decision by Hornby is for other reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There may well be, but they're in those nebulous Phases  that lurk in the distance!  🤪

There is a mention of an "electric" Pullman in one of the early phases, as they aren't doing any electric locos could that be a Southern three rail version?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, JohnR said:

You didn't specify that it was Southern Railway. But Class 50's spent more than a decade heading main line trains out of Waterloo. 

You need to read the post, both mentioning steam locomotives of the Southern Railway, no mention what so ever of region.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I just don't understand, being a Hornby fanboy, they should have pandered to my whims.

see you next time

3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

You need to read the post, both mentioning steam locomotives of the Southern Railway, no mention what so ever of region.

No mention of Steam locomotives, no mention of railway. just "Why oh Why arnt there any Southern models"

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Seriously though, I haven't noticed anything Southern at all (unless I missed it on here or in the club magazine), which I find a little odd.  I would have thought with the Pullman's being on the list there'd a least be a Spam or Packet in a set to pull them.  

I keep thinking there's very little left that I want in 4mm but then of course EFE are bringing out the cross country sets... the b#####s!

I think some of the Pullman names announced are Southern ones and he does mention at least one Southern locomotive on the video....

Woof! Woof!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Half way through the episode two of the TT chat and I claim my 50% discount, pretty sure SK have mentioned 50% twice now, yes please SK

I'm sure I heard it in the introductory video on the 10th October too!  I got all excited until I saw in print on the Membership page that it was 15%. 

What I think it is, is that SK has a slight speech impediment.

Or, despite looking "professional", that their microphones are rubbish and baulk at sibilants...

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

One of the things I find curious was the push to produce both the MK2e and f.  At this stage of the game, one or other would have been sufficient.

Of course the reason might be that they had the existing CAD for both, developed in semi-tandem  (especially after Hornby had to change tack from the f to the e initially when Bachmann announced their f's...) so it was easy to do so, but that can't be true as we're told it is easier to start completely from scratch ;)

I suspect that Hornby's new MK1 and MK2's were always being developed with other potential scales as a beneficiary (though the TT ones look to be better spec'd than the 00 ones).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I just don't understand, being a Hornby fanboy, they should have pandered to my whims.

see you next time

Hornby Dublo did not produce any Southern locomotives, except for the LNER N2 in Southern livery, or coaches for the first 21 years and Tri-ang did not make any Southern steam locomotives apart from the saddle tank for the first eight years.  At the Graham Farish stand someone asked if they were going to make a 'Lord Nelson' and the reply was that no-one was interested in the Southern north of the Thames.  I expect some Southern models will appear but perhaps Hornby sells more models from the other regions.  Some Southern models do sell well and the Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0T was a huge success.

• Like 1

Just now, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby Dublo did not produce any Southern locomotives, except for the LNER N2 in Southern livery, or coaches for the first 21 years and Tri-ang did not make any Southern steam locomotives apart from the saddle tank for the first eight years.  At the Graham Farish stand someone asked if they were going to make a 'Lord Nelson' and the reply was that no-one was interested in the Southern north of the Thames.  I expect some Southern models will appear but perhaps Hornby sells more models from the other regions.  Some Southern models do sell well and the Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0T was a huge success.

I think you mean "Southern models did sell well". That was over fifty years ago, the market has changed vastly since.

We really should be comparing the TT:120 range to what is currently available in 00 and N rather than harking back to the Dark Ages of model railways.

Look at Hornby's current range for answers. At least one SR locomotive model is mentioned in the video (Woof! Woof!), expect others to be hit with the shrink ray.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

There is a mention of an "electric" Pullman in one of the early phases, as they aren't doing any electric locos could that be a Southern three rail version?

Well, we've had the Brighton Belle from Hornby in OO and from Hornby by Arnold in N and the latter has 'track record' in TT120???

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Especially if they got the set on the strength of the full page ad/competion in the club magazine, page 11, which states specifically that the coaches each have working lights. SK in the interview said otherwise!

I took up SK's offer of his email address and asked him why he was contradicting his own club magazine. And got a very quick reply that he had not been aware of the content of that magazine ad but it is definately the magazine that is wrong.

Full marks for the quick reply if not the proof reading.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm not feeling all that confused. I take it to mean that they'll be dimensionally accurate, have lights (where appropriate), detailed liveries, and levels of physical detail appropriate to the scale, without having parts that may get damaged when handling, which is a Good Thing. 

On what basis do you take it to mean that?  Main range standard in 00 means lots of parts which may get damaged when handling and some of your description could apply to Railroad+ or whatevever other half baked market segment Hornby have invented this year.

The TT samples we have seen so far, which represent varying stages of completeness, are generally close to what you describe, though the complexity of detail doesn't seem to be absolutely consistent.  But you couldn't be at all sure of that from SK's comment alone.

3 hours ago, natterjack said:

Being a little confused on the matter of Pullman lighting I took up SK's invitation of direct email to which he very promptly answered. The train set Pullman cars are not fitted with lighting and nor are they easily converted by the simple addition of an led and pickups- which suggests they are not fitted with clear plastic light bar mouldings

Seems I asked pretty well the same questions, same answer on lights in the set but he ignored my supplementary on retrofitting lights.

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

No you are rearranging the order of the words.

The description is:

British Pullman, Electric Trainset.

Although Hornby don't use any punctuation.

All the other set descriptions also end in Electric Trainset.

• Thanks 1