RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

5 hours ago, NCB said:

What do you use for fixing set track down ? I'm looking for a means of doing it such that it's very easy to lift the track. I'm thinking of very small black self tapping screws. What do you think?

If you only want to screw the track down temporarily perhaps you could find some fairly flat-headed screws that would fit in the gap between the sleepers and which would hold down the sleeper on either side of the gap - if you see what I mean...!

That way you wouldn't have to drill the sleepers and there would be less chance of distorting the track if you're careful and you screw the screws down just enough to lightly nip the sleepers.

You'd need something with a broad head but low-profile so that the locos/wagons/couplings won't foul them - maybe something like these (although I'm not sure about the size as I don't have any track to hand):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-button-low-profile-screws-4-8-x-22mm-200-pack/7483H?kpid=7483H&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvqGcBhCJARIsAFQ5ke4Xkr4txY6KFYnyl037h6Gz_AjgD7NcAXvs4R6VqHGggBMgMIOC44caAl4TEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
Clarity (maybe!)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NCB said:

What do you use for fixing set track down ? I'm looking for a means of doing it such that it's very easy to lift the track. I'm thinking of very small black self tapping screws. What do you think?

I use Trix-C track ready ballasted for reasons I won’t go into hear but you fix those down with really high quality screws from Trix/Maerkin, beauty of them is if you need to adjust or raise it’s a 10 second job.

They are a cross head screw not a slot head as shown on the internet for some reason.

Edited by boxbrownie

8 hours ago, BRTrainz said:

I stand corrected then.

At any rate I've gone and ordered Dapol Easi-Shunts in all three lengths to test on the CCU fitted TT stock I have.

You will find that mediums are probably your base coupling. Shorts are rather too short for most N gauge stuff and longs are grossly over long for most things , and look like 1930s Hornby tinplate couplings . I've still not worked out exactly what longs are intended for

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

You will find that mediums are probably your base coupling. Shorts are rather too short for most N gauge stuff and longs are grossly over long for most things , and look like 1930s Hornby tinplate couplings . I've still not worked out exactly what longs are intended for

Yeah that's what I expect to find.

Only ordered the longs to have all lengths for testing and don't expect to ever actually have a use for them.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Thank you for the information about couplings.

Corgi is owned by Hornby and Corgi have produced a range of static TT gauge locomotives. I wonder if Hornby is developing these to produce its TT:120 range.

Fairly clear from the interview in the club magazine that these are all complete new toolings, designed by new staff taken on especially for the project. 

• Agree 4

55 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Fairly clear from the interview in the club magazine that these are all complete new toolings, designed by new staff taken on especially for the project. 

I did find it a little surprising that ignorance of the Corgi Rail Legends range being 1/120 was expressed in the interview- surely Hornby has some inter departmental interaction.

• Agree 1

April 1957. Minories is published!

Minories0457small.jpg.0d2ea9820f9bb973860ad6832589af2f.jpg

Scaled for OO and TT.

But remember, March 1957 and the above are TT3*...

* And it says so on the Minories TT scale!

Edited by Hroth
Minories plan
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

April 1957. Minories is published!

Minories0457small.jpg.0d2ea9820f9bb973860ad6832589af2f.jpg

Scaled for OO and TT.

But remember, March 1957 and the above are TT3*...

* And it says so on the Minories TT scale!

Axonometric, I’ve not heard that since secondary school TD class 😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

I've never heard of axonometric, I trained as a draftsman and did a few isometric drawings though.....

I create game sprites which are 30 degree axonometric, but most of us would struggle to distinguish axonometric from isometric.  I'd have to look up the difference to explain it. 🙂  Possibly isometric is even a subset of axonometric, can't remember 🙃

image.png.efe3a9005a84aa89304bccf554654330.png

Edited by andythenorth
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

I create game sprites which are 30 degree axonometric, but most of us would struggle to distinguish axonometric from isometric.  I'd have to look up the difference to explain it. 🙂  Possibly isometric is even a subset of axonometric, can't remember 🙃

TTD!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Wait until they ask about orthographic views 😁

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

One of the main benefits of TT:120 is that you can fit a layout in a small space but if you are short of space you can still get lots of enjoyment from a Hornby 0 gauge layout. This is my my friend's Hornby Vintage layout at Winterborne Kingston Village Hall last night.

P1010692.JPG

My Hornby tinplate is too ratty to display like that, but the baseboard the track was bolted to will have a TT120 roundy built on it!

• Like 1

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Hornby Model Railways, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2022. 
Highlights included a first look at the new and extensive range of TT:120 products currently in development, featuring working samples running on the firm's TT:120 display layout. 
Also on show were some of the latest samples of the manufaturer's forthcoming models in OO, including 3D printed samples Stadler Class 755 Flirt unit and LMS Stanier 5MT Class 4-6-0s, EPs of the LMS Stanier Turbo Motive and a plethora of livery samples, including the all new LNER Bugatti nose Gresley P2 Class 2-8-2 and Ruston 88DSs. 
Finally, there was a short demonstration of the forthcoming 'Realism of Steam' steam generator system, fitted to one of the commemorative range of 'Flying Scotsman' locomotives, produces to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the world famous locomotive.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Hornby Model Railways, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2022. 

Surely that's not Warley - the lights are on and you can see the floor between the bodies in places.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Funny 3

Interesting film.  I have to say that the effort, expense and logistics that Hornby has devoted to TT:120 is amazing, and seemingly in parallel with the OO programme.  I'm not really a RTR modeller, P4 and more recently O-16.5 due to age and eyesight, but I think I could tackle 1:120 track and scenery for this RTR range.....

• Like 5