Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

On 10/12/2022 at 13:58, MarkSG said:

It's a composite. The setting - a small terminus in a deep cutting - was inspired by the Metropolitan station at Liverpool Street, but converted to a terminus instead of a through station. But the four-platform track plan is typical of many small urban stations, including Fenchurch Street and Maryleybone. Which is why it works as a design, because, apart from some necessary compression at the station throat, it is true to life.

Except that Minories only has three platforms. Before the war, most designs for models of urban termini by the likes of Edward Beal and the famous 0 gauge Maybank layout of Bill Banwell and Frank Applegate * did have four platforms but Freezer reckoned that three gives enough scope for an intensive service. There were and are plenty of three platform termini in and around London including Hammersmith (H&C) which was GWR, Ealing Broadway (District Line) and Windsor Riverside (now just two platforms)

*Maybank was the first main line terminus to fiddle yard layout and Cyril Freezer, who had seen it at the MRC Easter show before the war, was veery strongly inspired by it. He described it as the"first modern layout" and it was an influence on the Minories concept. It might be an interesting scheme to look at in TT.

Received my Dapol couplings today.

They are not rigid enough to move the close coupling mechs on the Tillig stock I tried them on at all (instead the the knuckle partly opens on curves while the mech stays straight).

They won't even clip into the NEM pockets on my Arnold ferry vans (way too loose) so presumably won't fit Hornby pockets either.

All in all not usable for my purposes.

Still intend to try the Roco/Fleischmann Profi coupling, but can't find a US supplier that has them in stock, so waiting until I order something else from Germany that I can combine postage with.

Edited by BRTrainz
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

But I'd rather have the opinion of a fellow modeller than that of an "influencer" whose aim is to make a story and get likes!

Then FB is the place, there's already 3 or 4 people who said they'd had the notification of the delivery date and would be posting photos and videos, they are in the TT Groups so enthusiasts, not influencers!

8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

the famous 0 gauge Maybank layout

That was the one with a loco depot on top of the fiddle yard with a steep incline up to it?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, BRTrainz said:

Received my Dapol couplings today.

They are not rigid enough to move the close coupling mechs on the Tillig stock I tried them on at all (instead the the knuckle partly opens on curves while the mech stays straight).

They won't even clip into the NEM pockets on my Arnold ferry vans (way too loose) so presumably won't fit Hornby pockets either.

All in all not usable for my purposes.

Still intend to try the Roco/Fleischmann Profi coupling, but can't find a US supplier that has them in stock, so waiting until I order something else from Germany that I can combine postage with.

Hi,

Just a quick word on the Fleischmann/Roco Profi couplings - they're expensive, a bit ugly and, in my and many people's experience, aren't particularly reliable unless you've got extremely well-laid track and very gentle trasitions into any inclines. Otherwise, they have a bit of a tendency to leave half a train behind and the uncoupling can be very random - not always the same coaches/wagons, not always in the same place on the layout. 

Personally, I live in a small apartment and have to make do with Kato Unitrack running on a pretty uneven floor. Profi couplings are of absolutely no use to me under those circumstances (hopefully yours are better! :). I've turned to magnetic couplings (I do no shunting, so don't need remote uncoupling, tho I 'think' I've heard rumours of future 'powered' magnetic couplings that will allow remote uncoupling).

Don't want to put you off giving them a go but before ordering a bulk pack, given the price, I'd order about ten-or-so to have a play around with. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I think the cardboard, whilst envrio friendly, won't last.

The cardboard is fairly good. My Satan's Express is three years old now and the cardboard is in much better condition than the loco...

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

That was the one with a loco depot on top of the fiddle yard with a steep incline up to it?

Yes. Maybank was supposed to be a Great Central terminus and could handle four coach trains. There were goods sidings but no good depot as such though when the two teenagers first exhibited - in 1933- it there were a couple of high level goods sidings behind the terminus.

2091591661_Maybank_MR_Wealdstone1933M.jpg.b87b666ff2f5797b873dd1ca6f7a52ec.jpg

(note the MRC badges on the lapels of messrs. Applegate & Banwell) 

Since it was operated from the rear at exhibtions the high level goods sidings  must have been really awkward and they'd gone by the time it was described in MRN in 1934.

1419590792_Maybankat1937MRCshow.jpg.38739e6aebd2ce1b322edf1c8bb044e6.jpg

This photo was from the MRC Easter Show in 1937 and Maybank appeared there almost every year between 1934 and 1939

The terminus was fed by a four road motorised sector plate and at exhibtions it ran to timetables that apparently took about half an hour to work through followed by a gap before the "next display" .  

1849941543_Maybankplanconsolidatedm.jpg.a7f19537248b5bcb3e09b1a3812dbafc.jpg

Edited by Pacific231G
addition of 1934 image
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would say that it is worth trying the Fleischmann N Profi coupler provided you are not running on an uneven floor introducing switchback conditions. After 30 years of using them on layouts built on baseboards I have never experienced the unplanned uncoupling that Michanglais has. Using them with magnets for uncoupling, I was able to push a preuncoupled rake of wagons round a tight 180 degree curve, through a reverse storage loop with 7 facing turnouts  back round the 180 degree curve and on to a straight, where the loco and first wagon remained preuncoupled. I am building a new post-bereavement layout now where the grain terminal will rely on magnetically operated Profis. 

• Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

First photo!
My brother is pleased. I think the cardboard, whilst envrio friendly, won't last. At least the loco has a plastic frame. I which the coaches did too...

We get to "play" with it on Thur eve...
Luke

1963482126_TT120FSset1.jpeg.cb283832d40aa02864b49b29ed13a2e4.jpeg

Knowing how big the Hornby controller is, the TT120 models are tiny!

Hope everything goes well on Thursday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

First photo!
My brother is pleased. I think the cardboard, whilst envrio friendly, won't last. At least the loco has a plastic frame. I which the coaches did too...

We get to "play" with it on Thur eve...
Luke

1963482126_TT120FSset1.jpeg.cb283832d40aa02864b49b29ed13a2e4.jpeg

Are ours collectors items, first 2 sets in the world opened!

5 minutes ago, fredoxford said:

Are ours collectors items, first 2 sets in the world opened!

Facebook would suggest you have competition for that title. How about "First sets opened, set up, the packaging put in recycling James May style, and the track nailed to a board." 😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Facebook would suggest you have competition for that title. How about "First sets opened, set up, the packaging put in recycling James May style, and the track nailed to a board." 😉

Have you go one on order Phil? I'd be curious to have your take on the TT120.

Luke

30 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm not on Facebook so in my world that doesn't count!

• Funny 1

54 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Have you go one on order Phil? I'd be curious to have your take on the TT120.

Luke

I don't do big locos, but the 08 and a few wagons would suit me down to the ground. I'm sure there is a TT120 project in my future.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I don't do big locos, but the 08 and a few wagons would suit me down to the ground. I'm sure there is a TT120 project in my future.

Then I await your 08 and wagons plan with interest! Ready for AllyPally? :)

Enjoy you time off from the blog. Rest, recover and repair.

Luke

4 hours ago, Michanglais said:

Hi,

Just a quick word on the Fleischmann/Roco Profi couplings - they're expensive, a bit ugly and, in my and many people's experience, aren't particularly reliable unless you've got extremely well-laid track and very gentle trasitions into any inclines. Otherwise, they have a bit of a tendency to leave half a train behind and the uncoupling can be very random - not always the same coaches/wagons, not always in the same place on the layout. 

Personally, I live in a small apartment and have to make do with Kato Unitrack running on a pretty uneven floor. Profi couplings are of absolutely no use to me under those circumstances (hopefully yours are better! :). I've turned to magnetic couplings (I do no shunting, so don't need remote uncoupling, tho I 'think' I've heard rumours of future 'powered' magnetic couplings that will allow remote uncoupling).

Don't want to put you off giving them a go but before ordering a bulk pack, given the price, I'd order about ten-or-so to have a play around with. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Michael

Saw your earlier post in thread about reliability.

Mainly interested in the Profi coupling as I think you can lift coupled stock straight out of a train like with rapidos?

My layout will eventually be on a flat tabletop without any inclines so no worrys about that for me.

I am somewhat curious about the (I assume NEM?) magnetic couplings you mentioned - what brand are they?

Definitely not ordering a bulk pack of Profis before testing a few of them.

Edited by BRTrainz
Fixed last sentence

• RMweb Gold

they look as good as what has been at the shows. can't wait for my set after Christmas, excited to see some on youtube in the next few days, i dont really care who's they are, i've seen the real things and i love them, just be good to see them going round :)

• Like 2

The DPD courier delivered my Christmas present to myself at noon today.

I haven’t had a chance to run the locomotive but it certainly looks impressive. 

Quite why an LNER A1 locomotive is hauling K type Pullman cars built for the Southern Railway I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter to me.

It took me a few minutes to see how once coupled, I could uncouple the coaches from the engine. I blame the cold weather!

74128308-6D44-40A2-9210-05160461745A.jpeg

C4B685D2-0E7D-4DA4-AC04-539692170340.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to say it does run on the Peco track despite the flanges looking a little heavy. 
Excuse the dull patch on top of the boiler but it’s been freezing in a van for hours and as quickly as I wipe it off it returns 🥶 The paint is perfectly good. 

0F2DB7A8-C9FB-40F0-9183-84B06AD518F5.jpeg.b37f4361158172a1ea35b0ae219ba782.jpeg

Peco top Hornby underneath 

B6E26BC8-AF16-490E-A7BE-E7940BE44544.jpeg.8931f129943b5971aaf32ee7458ffd00.jpeg

57891C73-D368-4C18-814A-F1CCE7D4199E.jpeg.1ea002f547055004999a3c7e2b49e918.jpeg

The draincocks were in a separate pack. 
17E80C13-DCA8-4B2E-A889-467D16FA0A09.jpeg.3200baca33703212a4b70a4feb6d748c.jpeg

Detail is nice and it runs nicely straight out of the box. The flanges could be finer but apart from that very well done. It’s a shame they aren’t going to be in the shops as I think they would appeal to those tight on space. 

19AEB6F9-687F-41D8-ACE6-8230AF6D65C9.jpeg.13ceca4c492938e1f42d48bb593f1561.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Wheels look great with the flanges harddly visable. Valve gear is outstanding. Model has a presence  difficult to achieve in a small scale.

Hornby really has set a high standard.

• Like 4