Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

10 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Yes and magically, in that order

Les

Thanks for that, Les. Given some of the things I'd read about the vagaries of Hornby's online ordering system I had my doubts that they'd get the Reward Points correct for orders that predated the Rewards Scheme but nice to know that they've got this right.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Quick Q for those that returned there loco for repair. Did Hornby ask for your proof of purchase? 

Only ask as someones selling a set close to me and knowing some of the issues im wondering if its worth the risk if i need to contact Hornby.

I have never returned anything to Hornby for repair, but if they are only selling TT direct, they wouldn't need to ask for proof of purchase, because they would be able to see from their records who bought what & when.

Whether Hornby would still repair something that is secondhand (to you), that I don't know.

33 minutes ago, Moxy said:

I have never returned anything to Hornby for repair, but if they are only selling TT direct, they wouldn't need to ask for proof of purchase, because they would be able to see from their records who bought what & when.

Whether Hornby would still repair something that is secondhand (to you), that I don't know.

Yes that what im thinking theyll see ive not had it from them if they check my account.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

Do we know if TT120 will be sold permanently by Hornby Exclusive over their own Webstore?

At the moment it is, but who knows what will happen in 3/5/10 years time?  When Simon Kohler has been asked that question, he has not ruled out selling through retailers at some point in the future, just not at the moment.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

Do we know if TT120 will be sold permanently by Hornby Exclusive over their own Webstore?

ISTR in one of the TT Talk videos SK said something like Hornby were not ruling out selling TT:120 through other outlets at some point in the future after they had seen how it was going (or something along those lines).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Stefen1988 said:

Just tell them you get that Set as Christmas / Birthday / Weddning / Whatever present should work?

Careful what you wish for.  

I did a comparison between Hornbys price and what we in Australia will pay in stores (when it turns up) and between the distributors and the stores markup, it adds around another third to the price.  We also don't have the TT Club discount either.

On 07/02/2023 at 17:07, Porfuera said:

I'm not panicking - I'm looking at my online Rewards statement and I'm doing some basic arithmetic.

For a start, my online statement commences at 22nd November, which is the day I joined the scheme because I have a 'welcome' email on that date. The online statement lists all my orders and pre-orders since that date, including cancelled ones. However...

My four pre-orders for my Class 08 and three TTAs were made on the 7th November (i.e. before the scheme even existed) and do not appear on my rewards statement in any form, not even retrospectively. Instead all I have is an entry on my rewards statement on the 22nd November which says "Extra points for active pre-order" and against this "+200pts".

Now for the arithmetic. My points balance is as follows: Available points: 0 (zero); Pending points: 5,183

If I add up all the points values in my statement that are marked 'PENDING' (i.e. outstanding orders that I haven't cancelled) I get a total of 5,183 points. The only order I have actually received to date is my Scotsman set, which I received last Saturday and is still marked as 'PENDING' because it is within the 14-day period that you mentioned above.

Therefore my pending Rewards points total does not include my pre-orders for my Class 08 or my three TTAs, which I made before the scheme started and which have not been retrospectively added to my pending points total. Maybe the points for these orders will be credited to my account once they are delivered in spite of them not appearing on my statement or being included in my pending points total but I can't know that for sure.

I guess what I need to know is: has anyone who ordered a Scotsman before 22nd November received their rewards points yet? And did the set ever appear in their statement or did the points just magically appear?

Hornby have replied. Points will be credited in full for pre-orders including those ordered before the scheme started. However, it seems they have so many pre orders (would you believe? ) that it is taking time to go through them all. They hope to sort it all out by the end of February. Mind you, they didn't actually say which February. The 200 points will be withdrawn when they sort out your pre orders. So, as always with Hornby,  patience is necessary. Who would have thought ordering from Hornby would make you more virtuous? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, simmo009 said:

Hornby have replied. Points will be credited in full for pre-orders including those ordered before the scheme started. However, it seems they have so many pre orders (would you believe? ) that it is taking time to go through them all. They hope to sort it all out by the end of February. Mind you, they didn't actually say which February. The 200 points will be withdrawn when they sort out your pre orders. So, as always with Hornby,  patience is necessary. Who would have thought ordering from Hornby would make you more virtuous? 

Cheers for the info. I remember this being mentioned at some point but I didn't realise it was an ongoing process.

On 02/02/2023 at 18:45, Pacific231G said:

The rim and spokes may though be a tad heavy for standard gauge in 1:120 scale though the size is right for 40 inch wheels and, looking at old photos, most spoked wheels appear to be larger than more modern solid wheels.  

Possibly spoked wheels look bigger.  Looked at a number of prototype railroads over the years. Spoked and disc wheels on freight wagons were mostly the same diameter.  One exception had 3' 2" but they then moved to 3' for whichever type was used, spoked or disc. Another started with small spoke wheels and then increased diameter by 7" yet they'd mostly gone to disc by then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teletougos said:

Possibly spoked wheels look bigger.  Looked at a number of prototype railroads over the years. Spoked and disc wheels on freight wagons were mostly the same diameter.  One exception had 3' 2" but they then moved to 3' for whichever type was used, spoked or disc. Another started with small spoke wheels and then increased diameter by 7" yet they'd mostly gone to disc by then.

Could well be that spoked wheels do simply look larger.  I have both in my collection so will compare by eye then by digital calliper.

A lot of wagons were specified with 3ft 1 1/2 or even 3ft 2 but I think that may simply be to give an allowance for wear and reprofiling for a wheel that is nominally 3ft diameter.

I get very amused when modellers try to work to tighter tolerances than -when scaled up- the full size railway works to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

had another play in anyrail tonight, i took inspiration from Midholme by Richard Holmes (n gauge). Gives me a loop, some storage at the back, station with some sort of passing loop and a goods siding, about 4 and half feet by 3 and half. does rely on flexi track
image.png.40718b283651106043aa12b29a6f99a9.png

• Like 1

Many years ago I made this for uncoupling H0e/009 couplings, it works equally well on Tillig/Hornby TT ones as well. Length of copper clad sleeper and a bit of bent brass soldered on the end.

rkObsUK.jpg

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Many years ago I made this for uncoupling H0e/009 couplings, it works equally well on Tillig/Hornby TT ones as well. Length of copper clad sleeper and a bit of bent brass soldered on the end.

rkObsUK.jpg

Not for DCC, danger of shorting across the rails.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

had another play in anyrail tonight, i took inspiration from Midholme by Richard Holmes (n gauge). Gives me a loop, some storage at the back, station with some sort of passing loop and a goods siding, about 4 and half feet by 3 and half. does rely on flexi track
image.png.40718b283651106043aa12b29a6f99a9.png

Think you could smooth this a little .

If you replace the middle point at the top (which is RH) with a Left Hand point immediately following the point at top right, , you get a straight exit to the bottom road at the top. The lower road of the loop is then longer , clear of the points, and any train taking the lower through road has a much smoother journey . You've cut out two sharp reverse curves , and if done with flexible track the revised alignment can be done with much gentler curves

The real railway doesn't like those kind of reverse curves, as they are hard on stock , especially when shunting, and increase the risk of derailment. Hence the prototype's very strong preference for sidings to open out as a fan, with reverse curves eliminated as far as possible. It also sames space - something desirable on the prototype as sidings then have greater capacity