Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Based on the latest magazine, the brief TT Talk video last month, and on how things have planned out in 2023, I am expecting:

- LMS carriages - probably Nov 2023 in BR liveries and maybe Dec or Jan in LMS livery.

- HST power cars (Class 43) - Jan or Feb 2024 in Intercity livery and March or April in blue livery, GWR livery not until mid 2024.

- Mark 3 carriages - probably coinciding with power cars, as I'd imagine they'd want to release them together. That might knock back the HSTs a month or so.

- Duchess (Princess Coronation) - maybe April or May for LMS livery and summer for BR versions?

- Class 50 - maybe June/July ish?

- Class 66 - maybe late summer around Sept 2024.

I've only listed the ones I'm keeping an eye on because I'd actually like to buy them.

I'm assuming further slippage on predicted dates because so far none have been met (not Hornby's fault, seems to be a global problem).

While part of me would of course like everything now, the spreading out of the availablity actually works better for me because I couldn't afford/justify buying everything I'd like if it came out quicker anyway...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, andrewshimmin said:

Based on the latest magazine, the brief TT Talk video last month, and on how things have planned out in 2023, I am expecting:

- LMS carriages - probably Nov 2023 in BR liveries and maybe Dec or Jan in LMS livery.

- HST power cars (Class 43) - Jan or Feb 2024 in Intercity livery and March or April in blue livery, GWR livery not until mid 2024.

- Mark 3 carriages - probably coinciding with power cars, as I'd imagine they'd want to release them together. That might knock back the HSTs a month or so.

- Duchess (Princess Coronation) - maybe April or May for LMS livery and summer for BR versions?

- Class 50 - maybe June/July ish?

- Class 66 - maybe late summer around Sept 2024.

I've only listed the ones I'm keeping an eye on because I'd actually like to buy them.

I'm assuming further slippage on predicted dates because so far none have been met (not Hornby's fault, seems to be a global problem).

While part of me would of course like everything now, the spreading out of the availablity actually works better for me because I couldn't afford/justify buying everything I'd like if it came out quicker anyway...

Hornby Magazine - not my usual , but there was a giveaway that seemed useful - reports decorated samples of the InterCity Executive HST , with the power cars appearing late 2023/early 2024, and the Mk3s in mid 2024. "Other liveries are expected in mid 2024"

"Running samples" of the Class 50 are reported, "release is expected in spring 2024"

These dates are presumably based on info from Hornby.

The giveaway includes a section of TT:120 items, and the magazine is apparently intending to display a TT:120 layout based on the 1960s ECML at a show at the weekend

On 16/10/2023 at 07:02, J-Lewis said:

Hornby had running samples for the HST at Milton Keynes show over the weekend.  Looking very nice.

Also decorated samples of the 57ft coaches, MK2s and coal & mineral wagons.

PXL_20231015_104736345.jpg

PXL_20231015_104739977.jpg

Myself and one of the other operators of Gordon's Lane had a play with the HST on Friday evening on Hornby Magazines layout. It was quite the experience with the HM7000 decoders inside both power cars! Definitely going to have to contemplate doing a small TT120 layout in the future now! 

Nathan...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 16/10/2023 at 08:02, J-Lewis said:

Hornby had running samples for the HST at Milton Keynes show over the weekend.  Looking very nice.

Also decorated samples of the 57ft coaches, MK2s and coal & mineral wagons.

PXL_20231015_104736345.jpg

PXL_20231015_104739977.jpg

Anyone know of any footage of the HSTs in operation? - would love to see it.

I haven't had much luck with searching YouTube or Facebook

Cheers,

Michael

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

Cheers,

Michael

There's a few on YouTube. If you search for Great Electric Train Show 2023, I think there is one exclusively showing it.

Ah, here you go: 

Edited by Geep7
Found a video
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

Cheers,

Michael

I filmed a bit of it on friday evening after setup had almost finished.

https://youtu.be/gqaxbf-cCy0?si=m1XMUIOrKAMticyc

Nathan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose it depends on what you call reasonable. I was watching a video of Railways around Preston in the 50s and 60s and there were plenty of 4 and 5 coach trains, my layout is 9ft and they'd fit on the straights with no issues. People get too fixated with 10 and 12 coaches when much shorter ones were common.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think the Hornby Magazine video above shows that to run reasonable length trains that are actually shorter than the straight on an oval layout, you need (I'm guessing here) at least a 12' layout even in TT!

Their are a lot of variables here.

The HST on the video is about 3'6" long so, ignoring points and using the smallest radius that it will happily cope with that's about 6'.  To allow for that being the centre to centre dimension and for a bit of a margin then that's 6'6" for a basic single track oval.

I've got 7'3" not 12'.  The points are what cause the trouble and it becomes a matter of finding an inch here and an inch there, which is where some decent medium radius curved points would be useful.

12' would be nice but a lot of us don't have that much space, hence TT.  A lot of people would argue that that's adequate for a half reasonable layout in h0/00.  Of course the optimum is probably about 30'...

This is why I no longer read Model Railroader...

• Like 1

That prompted me to go and dig out my copy of "Mainlines in Modest Spaces" by Iain Rice.  He slightly stretched the definition of "mainlines" but there's a few plans in there for 12' or less in 00, which would be about 8' in TT.

Unfortunately he died quite recently and the book is probably long out of print.

I know, books, what are they?  And they take up space...

13 hours ago, joe cassidy said:

Peco announced a wooden open wagon today, to be available in PO and Big4 liveries

Also BR grey.  I think that they'd all have rotted away before 08s got painted blue but it's better than (almost) nothing.

• RMweb Premium

Peco announced those wagons a year ago, they are now on their way to shops. They should provide some welcome variety for anyone wanting to run goods trains. At £17 they are competitively priced, but of course we can't make RTR models in this country, can we?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I still think model full length modern outline trains is where N gauge still scores over any of the larger scales (TT120 included). A full length 2+8 in N is just a shade over 4.5ft, in 4mm, it's almost 10ft. I'm not sure what that works out at in TT120, but it'll be somewhere near the 6-7ft mark. The set being run at GETS was a 2+4 set, so basically what the GWR "Castle" sets were, but the shortest sets run in normal service before this were usually 2+7's on the cross-countries and in the early days on the Western Region.

Again, are most people who will be modelling in TT120 be that bothered about running a full formation? In that case, why are Hornby bothering doing 4 different Mk3 coach types? Ok, 3 types really, as the TF and TS share the same bodyshell. I know that since I was little (that's rather too many years than I care to admit), i've known that a typical HST set is made up of 2 power cars, 1 or 2 first class coaches, a restaurant/buffet car, 3 or 4 standard class coaches and a standard class TGS (the last only from the early 80's onwards). Yes, I know there are exceptions to this for special trains where there were 2 restaurant cars or it being a 2+9 set.

Is this the sort of information that we should be providing to new entrants to the hobby, or should we just let them have fun?

2 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Is this the sort of information that we should be providing to new entrants to the hobby, or should we just let them have fun?

Let them have fun, for goodness sake. 

Edit: But do make sure you teach them Rule 1.

Edited by BachelorBoy
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I still think model full length modern outline trains is where N gauge still scores over any of the larger scales (TT120 included). A full length 2+8 in N is just a shade over 4.5ft, in 4mm, it's almost 10ft. I'm not sure what that works out at in TT120, but it'll be somewhere near the 6-7ft mark. The set being run at GETS was a 2+4 set, so basically what the GWR "Castle" sets were, but the shortest sets run in normal service before this were usually 2+7's on the cross-countries and in the early days on the Western Region.

Again, are most people who will be modelling in TT120 be that bothered about running a full formation? In that case, why are Hornby bothering doing 4 different Mk3 coach types? Ok, 3 types really, as the TF and TS share the same bodyshell. I know that since I was little (that's rather too many years than I care to admit), i've known that a typical HST set is made up of 2 power cars, 1 or 2 first class coaches, a restaurant/buffet car, 3 or 4 standard class coaches and a standard class TGS (the last only from the early 80's onwards). Yes, I know there are exceptions to this for special trains where there were 2 restaurant cars or it being a 2+9 set.

When they ask for information you provide it.  That is how new entrants grow into competent and experienced modellers.

This hobby shouldn't have room for cliques.

Les

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I still think model full length modern outline trains is where N gauge still scores over any of the larger scales (TT120 included).

If that's most important for you, go for Z... but anything smaller than TT is just too small IMO: the focus is no longer the trains, but the scenery; the trains are just a part of the scenery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1