Heljan ES1 exclusive for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Photos here: https://www.ouseburntrust.org.uk/quayside-railway-1870-to-1969  - I think you may be correct anout the overhead.

that quayside picture with the rails in setts, and tramway type wiring, looks very 'modelable', especially with the high retaining wall (aka backscene)--I already have the lovely Bachmann NER J72 too...

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tractionman said:

that quayside picture with the rails in setts, and tramway type wiring, looks very 'modelable', especially with the high retaining wall (aka backscene)--I already have the lovely Bachmann NER J72 too...

cheers,

Keith

The other modelling advantage is that the electrified railway comes out of a tunnel/'hole in a wall' at each end where it enters the yards.

• Agree 3

56 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've an idea that the overhead was not catenary but tramway type although obviously it's an awful long time since I saw it.

Traff Yd catenery, with the trolleybus wires beyond. (Detail from a Photograph by the late Ian S. Carr on the last day of electric operation).

TraffYardCateneryDetail1.jpg.0e3f9df71fa9a23709d47e53c75b8310.jpg

As compared to the modern overhead on the mainline. The add hoarding is still there.

TraffYdCityBaths.jpg.27d03881037ee0b16a1d26d368504e43.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The other modelling advantage is that the electrified railway comes out of a tunnel/'hole in a wall' at each end where it enters the yards.

The quayside end of the tunnel is shown on the 1942 25inch survey here.  It's practically a perfect implementation of the Piano Line concept, though modelling the whole lot would be extremely ambitious!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The quayside end of the tunnel is shown on the 1942 25inch survey here.  It's practically a perfect implementation of the Piano Line concept, though modelling the whole lot would be extremely ambitious!

good to see the NLS georeferenced version of the 25" too, and the adjoining sheet to the west--https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18.0&lat=54.97153&lon=-1.59602&layers=168&b=1

I reckon adding in a 'Quayside Passenger Station' to the scene might also warrant getting one of these too... https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Heljan-rl3172-north-eastern-railway-electric-autocar-no3171-redcream-1904-30

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The quayside end of the tunnel is shown on the 1942 25inch survey here

Something I doctored up years ago. Lost to the updated versions and crash of RM web.

There was a complete thread on the Quayside branch.

QuaysideYard1sm.jpg.9cce9b641dc6685057d8e08b33d8cd0d.jpg

And there's Always Britain From Above

Manors-BFA-EAW037017_1951.png.80c87ae3c67f263e188e678cf68d42ca.png

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add BFA.
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And an NER first in OO for Locomotion NRM.I believe. The price is what it is and not out of synch with current trends.

The current trend is for a squeeze in disposable income, and an increasing number of model retailers are having discounting sales in the run up to christmas, which should be sounding alarm bells as this is normally full price time. Amazon also reporting a sales slump today. I'd say it's a price totally divorced from the current economic situation, and that such prices are going to cause an even further decline in sales and subsequent contraction in the market.

I suppose those that really want one will pay it immediately, but in a couple of months it could well be in the bargain sections. It's a niche loco for a high price, so it will be an interesting one to watch. It does look a nice model though and in a nice amount of livery options. 

Edited by Iskra
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

I think one might end up coming my way, interesting prototype and now I've pretty much sussed how I can do radio controlled/Faller Car System trolleybuses, a nice little interesting layout might be in the offing, setts and tramway type overhead, yeah done plenty of that too. 😄

• Like 3

I first saw it at Leicester Transport Museum, decades ago. 

Wonder why Heljan haven't done the original NER bow collector version.

Looks great especially in the green liveries and I really fancy one, BUT I don't do OHLE (even if it is only tramway type) and it is expensive.  Would it have worked with the chauldrons perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we're still waiting for Heljan to produce the Woodhead overhead to go with their Locomotives, there's probably no point holding our collective breaths for the Traff wiring to appear.

In the good old days of Triang we had integrated complete systems, catenary to go with Al electrics, mail pick ups for the mail coaches, tipping systems for the hopper wagons, etc, etc. In some ways we're going backwards, manufacturers nowadays seem to only want the fast buck.

Mike.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As we're still waiting for Heljan to produce the Woodhead overhead to go with their Locomotives,

I thought you would have been able to use your influence there Mike?

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

manufacturers nowadays seem to only want the fast buck.

I thought that was what Cairo Jacks and Josephine's was for?  (Only residents of Sheffield and those of a certain age will get that quip).

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks great especially in the green liveries and I really fancy one, BUT I don't do OHLE (even if it is only tramway type) and it is expensive.  Would it have worked with the chauldrons perhaps?

Unlikely; the bit of quayside from Newcastle to Ouseburn wasn't used for shipping coal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, tractionman said:

I reckon adding in a 'Quayside Passenger Station' to the scene might also warrant getting one of these too... https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Heljan-rl3172-north-eastern-railway-electric-autocar-no3171-redcream-1904-30

That has the virtue of being available rtr, but I reckon a converted Tyneside EMU would be more fun.  You could route the power from the panto through the saloon next to the open doors - it wouldn't bother the locals.

• Like 2

I did build the Judith Edge kit for this loco and then dropped it resulting in a bogie exploding in to a hundred parts so I'm very tempted by this.

It might just be me but they appear to be missing the roof mounted box, a fuse box I think, at one end as visible in this photo:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p76403285/h9F77D407#h9f77d407

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I thought you would have been able to use your influence there Mike?

I thought that was what Cairo Jacks and Josephine's was for?  (Only residents of Sheffield and those of a certain age will get that quip).

No point trying to influence a wednesdayite, they've already made one p!ss poor decision, I blame his father.

Josephine's, Scamps, Buccaneer, etc for my age group, I fear Cairo Jack's is a bit too modern for me!

12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As we're still waiting for Heljan to produce the Woodhead overhead to go with their Locomotives, there's probably no point holding our collective breaths for the Traff wiring to appear.

In the good old days of Triang we had integrated complete systems, catenary to go with Al electrics, mail pick ups for the mail coaches, tipping systems for the hopper wagons, etc, etc. In some ways we're going backwards, manufacturers nowadays seem to only want the fast buck.

Mike.

And yet when a certain Margate based manufacturer says they are a "system" manufacturer, making everything a modeller needs to build a complete layout, they are compared unfavourably to the newer guys who produce individual models without thinking about any of the rest of the stuff. Looks like manufacturers can't win...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Unlikely; the bit of quayside from Newcastle to Ouseburn wasn't used for shipping coal.

Course it was. There was/is a tunnel that originated at Spittal Tongues and came out at the Ouseburn  (Its course passed under the Quayside tunnel). It's sole purpose was coal shipment and after falling into disuse was used for all sorts of other things. You can still have a guided tour.

The Quayside branch handled loads of coal  (and oil) but for ship bunkering purposes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/10/2022 at 14:20, johndon said:

It might just be me but they appear to be missing the roof mounted box, a fuse box I think, at one end as visible in this photo:

The Lympdik connector to the panto.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Porcy Mane said:

The Limpdik connector to the panto.

Cheers for the clarification.  Just been through all the photos on the Rails site and it's not there in any of the photos which seems an add omission, assuming that the photos are of the release model...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

According to the video on Hornby Magazine's YouTube channel, the original collector was only there very briefly, so they didn't think it was worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

According to the video on Hornby Magazine's YouTube channel, the original collector was only there very briefly, so they didn't think it was worth it.

Those that would care that much would probably already built one of these from the kit or scratch with the correct features.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

And yet when a certain Margate based manufacturer says they are a "system" manufacturer, making everything a modeller needs to build a complete layout, they are compared unfavourably to the newer guys who produce individual models without thinking about any of the rest of the stuff. Looks like manufacturers can't win...

Precisely, but only by some, depends what anyone's interpretation of modeller is, I'll wager there are more people who can't build catenary compared to those who can.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1