BR 12t Shocvan and the best start to modelling it

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

This wagon sat plinthed on a short length of track for many years at Ipswich where it was used as some kind of store. 

My knowledge of British Railways wagons is pretty limited so I'm throwing this open to those far better qualified than I, what is the best starting point for a 4mm model of it please?

I'm not great with kit built rolling stock but this one has the advantage that it doesn't actually need to roll!

Internal User 041311 . Ipswich Station . 04th-June-1986

This second pic quotes it as being "041311 ex BR 12T shocvan B850489"

041311 ex BR 12T shocvan B850489 Ipswich Early 90's

Thanks in advance

Andi

Red Panda for the sides (theirs has corrugated ends), Parkside for the chassis (any 4 shoe Morton chassis with BR axle guards, if you nick the one from thd Parkside Shockvan you'll then have to find a chassis for that as the Red Panda one is unsuitable for Parkside's planked body), and Duplex buffers from MJT. You'll need to scratchbuild the ends. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dagworth said:

what is the best starting point for a 4mm model of it please?

Scratchbuilt with Parkside chassis bits.  Doors were spare from a Parkside planked BR van, roof was also Parkside from their GWR van, but acquired back when getting spare sprues was just a quick email or phonecall to Kirkcaldy...

image.png.3d26feb97f9159ba83c86b456f33d058.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

You could have fun with Bachmann's 37-904 series planked version and some of your favourite filler !

1 hour ago, 41516 said:

Scratchbuilt with Parkside chassis bits.  Doors were spare from a Parkside planked BR van, roof was also Parkside from their GWR van, but acquired back when getting spare sprues was just a quick email or phonecall to Kirkcaldy...

image.png.3d26feb97f9159ba83c86b456f33d058.png

Is it still possible to buy separate sprues from Peco-Parkside?

That's a nice model of the (GWR-designed) ply-bodied Shoc-Van. I'm trying to think what other WR vans followed a similar style; I think there was the MOGO, the ordinary ventilated van and the Goods Fruit van,

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I sent an e-mail enquiry to Peco regarding a sprue that I needed - no response, I'm afraid.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

That's a nice model of the (GWR-designed) ply-bodied Shoc-Van. I'm trying to think what other WR vans followed a similar style; I think there was the MOGO, the ordinary ventilated van and the Goods Fruit van,

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I sent an e-mail enquiry to Peco regarding a sprue that I needed - no response, I'm afraid.

CJI.

Peco still do spare sprues, I just gave them a ring to order.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Red Panda for the sides (theirs has corrugated ends), Parkside for the chassis (any 4 shoe Morton chassis with BR axle guards, if you nick the one from thd Parkside Shockvan you'll then have to find a chassis for that as the Red Panda one is unsuitable for Parkside's planked body), and Duplex buffers from MJT. You'll need to scratchbuild the ends. 

Doesn't that have a full length (17ft 6in) body. This is trying to model a shocvan and they lost about a ft in body length. 

Paul

20 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Doesn't that have a full length (17ft 6in) body. This is trying to model a shocvan and they lost about a ft in body length. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Paul

Red Panda do a plywood SHOCVAN with corrugated ends.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

My (small) collection of half built Shockvans is currently in the same room as a sleeping child, but I'm reasonably sure both the Parkside planked and Red Panda ply ones have the short body. 

41516's method looks like the way to go - the sides aren't any harder to build than the ends. The original looks like it either had a window in the far side or part of the side missing - you can see daylight through the end window and I don't think it's in line with the door. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2022 at 20:29, Dagworth said:

This wagon sat plinthed on a short length of track for many years at Ipswich where it was used as some kind of store. 

My knowledge of British Railways wagons is pretty limited so I'm throwing this open to those far better qualified than I, what is the best starting point for a 4mm model of it please?

I'm not great with kit built rolling stock but this one has the advantage that it doesn't actually need to roll!

Internal User 041311 . Ipswich Station . 04th-June-1986

This second pic quotes it as being "041311 ex BR 12T shocvan B850489"

041311 ex BR 12T shocvan B850489 Ipswich Early 90's

Thanks in advance

Andi

Yo Badge

I do remember that poor isolated van from back in the 70s when I lived in California, Ipswich*.

Anyhow back to models, not nostalgia. 

1727982815_GWRShock.jpg.123fec250ff589f4f4b06c1e8ee12c4e.jpg

I built this poorly battered thing many moons ago. Plastic card body, Parkside underframe  and a cut down Airfix cattle wagon roof.

*California, Ipswich not to be confused with the upstart California in Stowmarket.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

*California, Ipswich not to be confused with the upstart California in Stowmarket.

'Scuse me - California in the North-east; not to be confused with those upstarts in East Anglia!

CJI.

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...
On 31/10/2022 at 20:26, hmrspaul said:

Paul

No Shocvan has a 17' 6" body and our kit certainly doesn't!     Shocvan bodies are 16'  4.25"  inside and a nominal 16' 6" over the body length - not including the extra few inches created by the corregations.

On 30/10/2022 at 23:31, Wheatley said:

One would need to remove the diagonal wrap-around detail at each end of the side component and replace it with vertical narrow uprights.

2 hours ago, mckendrick said:

One would need to remove the diagonal wrap-around detail at each end of the side component and replace it with vertical narrow uprights.

You would, but it can be done:

167303338345721389125563465977.jpg.f9c7dc1f4bc4545846221012472dbfeb.jpg

(OK these aren't Shockvans and they're Parkside sides but you get the idea ...)

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2022 at 20:27, hmrspaul said:

Paul

Hiya Paul,

The Red Panda Shocvan body is a nominal scale 16' 5" inside the corrugations.

Although I haven't come across one (not that I've checked many in the calipers) I am aware of some reports that have noted (some) moldings to be a little longer. 

Mark McKendrick.

Red Panda Railway Models.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/11/2022 at 14:55, cctransuk said:

'Scuse me - California in the North-east; not to be confused with those upstarts in East Anglia!

CJI.

And Pennsylvania's just outside Bath.

I have a Shocvan, bit of a hybrid, planked BR body and corrugated ends on a chassis that started life underneath a Hyshock 5-planker, the body being an Ian Kirk kit IIRC.  Recent correspondence here on the subject of tin plates has persuaded me to order another one off the bay; this will be pure Bachmann, and I was attracted to it by it's 'transition' livery.  A GW planked sides and ends with twin ventilators, it's finished in late GW grey with a W-prefixed number in Gill Sans, as would have been painted between the end of May 1948 and the beginning of September 1949.  Baccy do a version of this in BR bauxite as well, which I'm keeping an eye out for with next pension day in mind; the 3 will handle the traffic I am planning for it, plates sent to 'Dimbath Metals' private siding for galvanising before being sent back whencever they came.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it would be fun to try and make one with working shock absorbers.  The bodies of the real ones could be seen moving back and forth on these springs when the train snatched or buffered up, and during shunting, and if the body were ballasted sufficiently, the effect might be reproduceable in 4mm.  Not that I'm going to try it, you understand, just an idea.  DCC servo control of this would definitely be cheating!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When Cambridge Custom Transfers re-opens in mid-March, look out for new transfer sheets covering all of the SHOCVANs - pre-Nat. and BR-built; (also shock opens and BR-built brake vans).

John Isherwood.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

When Cambridge Custom Transfers re-opens in mid-March, look out for new transfer sheets covering all of the SHOCVANs - pre-Nat. and BR-built; (also shock opens and BR-built brake vans).

John Isherwood.

Thanks for this news, @cctransuk .  My Red Panda kit arrived a few weeks ago, and I must check what OO wheels, etc., I need and where to buy them.  This is one less thing to worry about, and will help get my wagon finished and running.

• Like 1