Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Has there been another meltdown?

• Moderators

The preparatory work has been done. I've set the re-indexing off so that will now take some time but hopefully won't fail this time.

Edit - it's already got further than it did on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators

Just monitoring how far back it's got in half an hour. As long as it keeps going at a similar rate I reckon it will take about 84 hours to complete the 1.45 decades of stuff.

"Are we there yet?" will lead to permanent scarring in painful places.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators

At the moment it's going pretty well, the last 18 months done in 3 hours which will satisfy 95+% of stream usage. General searching obviously needs to be able to look further into the past but will probably be done in around a couple of days.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Another thing that i've noticed, there is now no blank area on the right hand side and the whole width of the page is used. I do hope that this feature is retained.

Agree with the above but it is patchy. This thread, for example, goes full width; however, I have just been on the Petrrill Bridge thread and that still has the strip down the right hand side.

edit - have just realised this thread shows full width (landscape) & portrait) on my I-pad but has the advert and r/h bar on my laptop.  Will check tomorrow that I still have it set to gold theme on the laptop.

Edited by john new
Extra note added for clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Northern Electric said:

I presume any thumbnails have to be re-uploaded?

It wasn't connected with this (many disappeared in April) but you'll need to upload a new avatar.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AY Mod said:

"Are we there yet?" will lead to permanent scarring in painful places.

I never cease to be impressed at your patience with some of the more, er... 'demanding' patrons of these forums.

And although I didn't notice any significant impact to the way I personally use the site as a result of the incident, I think this is nonetheless an appropriate time to reiterate my appreciation for the time and effort you and your colleagues put in to keeping this excellent resource both available, and a pleasant virtual place to waste spend time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I never cease to be impressed at your patience with some of the more, er... 'demanding' patrons of these forums.

And although I didn't notice any significant impact to the way I personally use the site as a result of the incident, I think this is nonetheless an appropriate time to reiterate my appreciation for the time and effort you and your colleagues put in to keeping this excellent resource both available, and a pleasant virtual place to waste spend time.

You know this hits the nail on the head. Too many folks seem to rely on RMweb to be their repository of all things to do with modelling and only know of one way to access the topics/blogs etc .This is a problem of course when things inevitably go wrong (as computer systems do). It's not just about backups of your data, it's about learning the basics of a system without using the short-cuts.

It's a bit like my wife who insists on continuing to use the full fat Outlook email client but refuses to create an address list, instead relying on Outlook's "helper" function that suggests an email address when you start typing. This clears itself from time to time and so I get it in the neck when she can't remember someone's email address 🤔

I think what I'm tying to say is don't rely solely on one method of accessing your information, make sure you have more than one trick up your sleeve .....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Well at least our 'Dear Leader' understands how this site operates, what is good and what is bad.

Pity the poor users of Twitter who today cannot log on if they had two factor authentication enabled because it's head of programming, PR, Marketing, Security, Conformance, Quality and Employee Relations decided to turn off all the mico services because 'only 20% of them are needed'.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well at least our 'Dear Leader' understands how this site operates, what is good and what is bad.

Pity the poor users of Twitter who today cannot log on if they had two factor authentication enabled because it's head of programming, PR, Marketing, Security, Conformance, Quality and Employee Relations decided to turn off all the mico services because 'only 20% of them are needed'.

I have always thought that only twits tweet but this just proves there are more twits in Twitter than I thought.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nuts!

I think that's a lady squirrel, going by what I remember from an all-too-famous 'atmosphere' shot in an early series of The Great British Bake Off (warning: link may be NSFW).  Not that I watch the programme, it's just that it was pretty much impossible to avoid people going on about it the day after...

Oh, you meant that kind of nuts.  Sorry.  As you were.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1