Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 50, By Accurascale

6 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

It did, black 9s were carried up to December 1987 then changed, unknown as to why. If you want it as running in Cornwall, blue 9s it is 😎

In that case, bitten by 2000 fleas! 

Looks like I will have to survive with a Lima one then.  Would have gone well with my ARC PTA's and would not have noticed the incorrect mustard colour so well! 

Do you know Simon whether it ever ran any passenger trainsvin its Railfreight guise? 

Edited by Torbay Express
Extra comment

55 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

It certainly did one and possibly only one http://www.flickr.com/photos/46402143@N06/5187446554 

Cheers... Amazing knowledge as ever!   Watched a YouTube the other week with the secret set.  In awe.  Back in the days before mobile phones, email etc., saw how the staff got the job moving after a unit failure.  People wouldn't be able to do it now.  50008 even come down the bank off a duty and put the set safely back in the sidings. No messing, just got it done! 

Really scraping the barrel now, did Illustrious in its very short lived Laira Blue ever do any?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Got to take issue with the idea that Sir Edward had no connection with the GWR! Born in Worcester (which was of course a significant GWR workshop) and a regular traveller on route of the Cathedrals Express.  50 007 was selected to carry on the tradition of carrying the great mans name that had started with the naming of Castle 7005. 

I don’t remember any suggestions that other Class 50s might be renamed but I was certainly part of the backlash against the renaming. As Gordon C said, there were plenty of other unnamed locos and the reverse numbering was a pretty feeble justification for choosing 50007. 

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Which flashes are those?

There is a picture on press reader from March 2020 which looks very much like the model, unless I am on the wrong flashes (which is probably the case.)

img?regionKey=tFjHz0TXFe4EOPYNRXratg==

Better picture perhaps from Flickr

50021 Rodney

Those warning flashes are from the beginning of the 80s onwards. If you look at the Mk2Bs in blue/grey, the earlier warning flash can be seen on FK 17107 amongst others. Plenty of large logo 50s had the earlier version by not 50021 which only ever had the later version in large logo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I don’t remember any suggestions that other Class 50s might be renamed but I was certainly part of the backlash against the renaming. As Gordon C said, there were plenty of other unnamed locos and the reverse numbering was a pretty feeble justification for choosing 50007. 

Those warning flashes are from the beginning of the 80s onwards. If you look at the Mk2Bs in blue/grey, the earlier warning flash can be seen on FK 17107 amongst others. Plenty of large logo 50s had the earlier version by not 50021 which only ever had the later version in large logo.

Forgive my lack of knowledge; does that mean the Accurascale models is as it looks today?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chilly said:

Forgive my lack of knowledge; does that mean the Accurascale models is as it looks today?

Not sure of you mean 50021 or 50007, either way the answer is no. 50007 is now renamed (rightly) as Hercules and is in GBRf blue, 50021 has the latest OHLE warnings, not those modelled.

Roy

37 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure of you mean 50021 or 50007, either way the answer is no. 50007 is now renamed (rightly) as Hercules and is in GBRf blue, 50021 has the latest OHLE warnings, not those modelled.

Roy

Thanks Roy that has cleared that up nicely.

I actually meant "model" being 50021, but in haste added an "s" which rightly caused confusion sorry.

Still tempted by the model though as apart from those looks good to me.

So the modern ones are like those on "Thunderer"?

Edited by Chilly

On 07/02/2023 at 20:52, Simon Bendall said:

It certainly did one and possibly only one http://www.flickr.com/photos/46402143@N06/5187446554 

I was in the right place at the right time and actually got 50149 and 50042 from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish that day. Being a (wet) summer Saturday it was absolutely rammed with bashers!

There’s a photo of them at Dawlish which has appeared in at least one magazine on the Dawlish Trains (Colin Marsden?) site:

image.jpeg.756bbdf150b82d2f2ad7c2ca2e52431b.jpeg

And this rather cool shot on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aderoberts/8589659417

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 3

On 07/02/2023 at 22:23, jools1959 said:

Before I purchase another Class 50, did 149 ever venture onto the LSWR main line between Exeter and Salisbury?

Hi Joolz, I hope that you are well.  I have seen a photo of it getting to Exmouth Junction Coal Sidings and I think the CCE depot.  So can confirm that much.  Beyond that?   

One photo had it in the far end of the Coal Sidings so whether it came from east or just used it to run wagons from CCE?