Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Let's start Monday the right way, with some teasers of our first full EP sample....

453977172_50bogieunderside.jpg.a488f910b50af2e6d55502ea0ffc7330.jpg

1465647037_50underframe.jpg.746144e0c3cc19f981b6dc806423301a.jpg

515354322_50stepetches.jpg.6f6f8395e969dd9deb1c1684e49b71ee.jpg

146360249_50cab.jpg.ff6858523884929ddbd63fec9ae3196c.jpg

Look for more pics soon, and make sure you get your pre-order in via your local stockist, or direct: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50

Cheers!

Fran 

Whilst some recent models are moving away from Sprung buffers, and etched horns… yet charging higher prices, its really refreshing to see one company bucking the trend, and not only giving sprung buffers and etch horn grills, but etched steps and now etched windscreen wipers too…. and even realistic nozzles for screen wash!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Not many bits of 006 around, have seen a number panel and nameplates

One of my school friends had a chat with Vic Berry's scrapyard back in the day. Initially they offered the complete headcode box complete with the headcode winding gear still inside! He said he couldn't move that so he asked for just the panel.

It had sat in his shed since 1998 when he moved house so I offered to keep it in a better location about 2 years ago (and paid him a retainer which he said wasn't necessary). One day I'll look at having a metal coffee table made with the panel as the top.

BTW Going back on topic the Accurascale 50 is looking very nice. I was going to rewindow my Hornby pre-refurbs but selling them and ordering Accurascale ones seems a lot easier to do.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Flood said:

It had sat in his shed since 1998 when he moved house so I offered to keep it in a better location about 2 years ago (and paid him a retainer which he said wasn't necessary). One day I'll look at having a metal coffee table made with the panel as the top.

Great chat up line…

She “what you doing tonight ?”

He “Am having my dinner on Neptune”.

or..

”My house is that clean I can eat my dinner off a hoover”

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Great chat up line…

She “what you doing tonight ?”

He “Am having my dinner on Neptune”.

or..

”My house is that clean I can eat my dinner off a hoover”

And she said, "I live with a super model called Rodney"!

• Funny 4

On 27/03/2023 at 08:29, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Let's start Monday the right way, with some teasers of our first full EP sample....

453977172_50bogieunderside.jpg.a488f910b50af2e6d55502ea0ffc7330.jpg

1465647037_50underframe.jpg.746144e0c3cc19f981b6dc806423301a.jpg

515354322_50stepetches.jpg.6f6f8395e969dd9deb1c1684e49b71ee.jpg

146360249_50cab.jpg.ff6858523884929ddbd63fec9ae3196c.jpg

Look for more pics soon, and make sure you get your pre-order in via your local stockist, or direct: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50

Cheers!

Fran 

Looks very nice Fran - the all important shape is well captured. I do like the windscreen washers! Steps and underframe look ace!

I might be alone on this but I prefer Hornbys plastic windscreen wipers which don't have the bend - Appreciate they're a difficult item to get right and maybe the metal approach is better for production.

On your production samples will the NEM pod be flush as the print looked very good whereas these look like they're not stuck down? I know it's probably a production limitation and a cruel close up but will the tabs on the grills be present in the final version?

cheers

Will

10 hours ago, Flood said:

BTW Going back on topic the Accurascale 50 is looking very nice. I was going to rewindow my Hornby pre-refurbs but selling them and ordering Accurascale ones seems a lot easier to do.

Just checking which models Accurascale have on their website I see that the pre-refurb does not have the multiple connection boxes.

Looks like I'll have to wait for another batch to be announced.

8 minutes ago, Flood said:

Just checking which models Accurascale have on their website I see that the pre-refurb does not have the multiple connection boxes.

Looks like I'll have to wait for another batch to be announced.

I thought Fran said in a previous post that the mutiple working jumpers would be supplied in the parts bag? I might be wrong, but, I think someone else has already asked about this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/11/2022 at 10:07, Accurascale Fran said:

Morning @aeroplane

Since the video was made in late summer we confirmed the lineup and its as is listed on the website now. Indeed it's Gareth's favourite 50. 

Morning @'CHARD,

They sure will be in the baggy!

Morning Al,

Naturally! NEM pockets at correct recommended height too, just like the Deltic!

Morning @TheEngineShed,

That is the plan for D423! Will be included in the baggy!

Morning @Bucoops,

Don't tempt us into making it! We've had an internal bun fight over making it tbh, some of us are pro.... 

Morning @rob D2,

We find customer reaction to "duplication" a funny one, as it's ultimately the customer who wins out with better choice, competitive edges, driving better models ultimately and competing on price. It's an interesting reaction from those who ultimately benefit from it. Maybe we're a tad biased, but when we looked to begin Accurascale a few years back the market seemed stagnated, and boring. I think that stagnation gave birth to the young companies now getting involved and this has driven the established players to react, ultimately benefitting the hobby as a whole. We're now seeing better standards, more features, more choice, more fidelity and vibrancy. Even the rebirth of a scale it could be argued. 

Another way to look at it is next generation. The Lima model of the 50 was about 20 years old when the new one came along, and now we are 20 years on from the arrival of that model. It was the same with the Deltic and 37, the 20, 24, 25, 45, 56 and others. The 92 has been about 25 years and the Manor longer (we had no idea about the new competition model until we were beyond the point of no return). Evolution as @McC said. Judging by the pre-orders and interest so far, it seems we have called it right as well.

Cheers!

Fran 

Here is the post I was thinking of. It is on page 10. Hope this helps, @Flood.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Gary H said:

They're definitely in the parked position, I have  mine plumbed in and aired-up on my cab (50046) and they stop in that position when the operating knob is turned to park.

When built, they always seemed to park on the outer part of the screens, whether a result of a differing air switch or the plumbing arrangement, who knows!

Now that really would be a nice touch. Wipers parked at the outer edges on un-refurbished locos and centrally on the refurbished ones. As I've already said, wipers parked centrally takes away something of the unique look of the locos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 97406 said:

I take it the horn grilles are the same as on the production 37s

Dimensionally, they are exactly the same as 40's and 37's (37's only had them in the nose on split-box examples when built).

Class 50 horn grilles are distinguishable by a small flat machined on the side that was provided so as to miss the edge of the opening headcode panel.  

horn grille.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Now that really would be a nice touch. Wipers parked at the outer edges on un-refurbished locos and centrally on the refurbished ones. As I've already said, wipers parked centrally takes away something of the unique look of the locos.

Swap the wipers over (left to right and vice versa)! 1 min job.

Edited by Andy7

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2023 at 09:35, dj_crisp said:

Looks very nice Fran - the all important shape is well captured. I do like the windscreen washers! Steps and underframe look ace!

I might be alone on this but I prefer Hornbys plastic windscreen wipers which don't have the bend - Appreciate they're a difficult item to get right and maybe the metal approach is better for production.

On your production samples will the NEM pod be flush as the print looked very good whereas these look like they're not stuck down? I know it's probably a production limitation and a cruel close up but will the tabs on the grills be present in the final version?

cheers

Will

Hi Will,

Many thanks for the feedback. It's always worth remembering that the first tooling sample (EP Sample) is provided to check the fit of parts, and tooling is finessed and polished on the feedback from this model. We agree the pod needs to sit lower, and this is part of our feedback to the factory for production samples. We should see improvement when we see the decorated models in due course. 

Naturally, we won't be standing for tabs on the grilles, and instructing the factory to make sure they are eliminated from the production models you will receive. Overall, the loco has come out excellent, and both these issues (and there are other little niggles we have spotted) are very simple corrections. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 16

Apologies to @Accurascale Fran, and any other staff at Accurascale,  but I do have a question regarding a pre-refurb class 50.

After about 1973 two covers were added to the roof of the Class 50s next to the No. 2 end exhaust ports, the photo of 50020 below shows them quite clearly:

Class 50 50020 is ready to leave St Austel with a Penzance to London Paddington service 07/07/1975,

Copyright Kevin Connolly from Flickr

There were inertia filters in this area on the pre-refurb loco so I'm guessing the covers were for access to the filters. As I said above they were only added after about 1973 and were removed once the locos were refurbished.

So my question to Accurascale is as they are not shown on the test body of the pre-refurb model (a loco with D numbers probably shouldn't have them anyway) are they something that Accurascale might like to include as additional etched parts?

Many thanks for your time.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Flood said:

Apologies to @Accurascale Fran, and any other staff at Accurascale,  but I do have a question regarding a pre-refurb class 50.

After about 1973 two covers were added to the roof of the Class 50s next to the No. 2 end exhaust ports, the photo of 50020 below shows them quite clearly:

Class 50 50020 is ready to leave St Austel with a Penzance to London Paddington service 07/07/1975,

Copyright Kevin Connolly from Flickr

There were inertia filters in this area on the pre-refurb loco so I'm guessing the covers were for access to the filters. As I said above they were only added after about 1973 and were removed once the locos were refurbished.

So my question to Accurascale is as they are not shown on the test body of the pre-refurb model (a loco with D numbers probably shouldn't have them anyway) are they something that Accurascale might like to include as additional etched parts?

Many thanks for your time.

Hi @Flood,

We have three different versions of that roof area on our model: As built, intermediate with panels that are proud of the roof (as in the photo) and post-refurb with riveted panels that are flush with the roof. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 5

• 3 weeks later...

A Class 50 is another of 'my favourite diesels' - OK, there are quite a few .... 25, 40, 47, 50, 52, 55, 56, 60 to name a few.

I already own 'a couple' from another manufacturer, but have just ordered Warspite and am looking forward to this exciting addition to the not-so-small fleet ...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ref the exclusive model of 50007, would i be correct in saying that the real 50007 carried a lighter shade of green (which i much preferred) for its last few years in service, the years prior to that it carried a darker green which the exclusive model is based on?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Ref the exclusive model of 50007, would i be correct in saying that the real 50007 carried a lighter shade of green (which i much preferred) for its last few years in service, the years prior to that it carried a darker green which the exclusive model is based on?

our model represents the classic Network SouthEast 1988-91 period with full-length orange cantrail stripe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

A question for the sound project. Will it have a ridiculously long cold start sequence? I’ve seen 5 minutes be achieved on a few. 

That will be the one where the drivers out thrashing it with a bush shouting start you vicious barsteward.........

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

7 hours ago, McC said:

our model represents the classic Network SouthEast 1988-91 period with full-length orange cantrail stripe.

I recall reading at the time that 50007 was originally painted Ford galleon green as opposed to brunswick green. This was before the NSE period.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 97406 said:

I recall reading at the time that 50007 was originally painted Ford galleon green as opposed to brunswick green. This was before the NSE period.

47628 was also initially painted in the "wrong" colour because the works didn't apparently have the correct paint specification. But as far as I am aware, by the time the GWR celebrations got underway, including the renaming of 50007, all five celebrity locos were in brunswick green and remained that way until repainted into different liveries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

47628 was also initially painted in the "wrong" colour because the works didn't apparently have the correct paint specification. But as far as I am aware, by the time the GWR celebrations got underway, including the renaming of 50007, all five celebrity locos were in brunswick green and remained that way until repainted into different liveries.

True that. I remember seeing it at Reading in its initial livery with small stick on numbers and thinking ‘what the heck is that’?!?

1 hour ago, IRC said:

True that. I remember seeing it at Reading in its initial livery with small stick on numbers and thinking ‘what the heck is that’?!?

By pure coincidence, photo posted on the Cornwall Railway Society website last Wednesday - scroll down to 19th April.....even taken at Reading (and exactly 20 years to the day after D1661 and D1662 were named at Paddington and Bristol respectively too).....

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

Edited by Halvarras
Date rang a bell!
  • Like 4