The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Wilko Johnson guitarist

Simon Lee

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of seeing him live  a long time ago with the genius Norman Watt-Roy on bass….absolutely bedazzled me with his guitar playing, seemingly not to change the motion of his picking hand but getting all sorts of sounds from the Tele. Not so much on the vocal side though…

RIP Wilko, one of a kind.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

Back in 1974,when "pub rock" was becoming established,I saw Dr Feelgood at a venue in South Harrow,the name of which escapes me now.It was just after Xmas,so the atmosphere was good to start with.

I knew nothing of the band,but the gig was absolutely electrifying,to this day one of the best I've seen.

RIP Wilko.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilH said:

I had the pleasure of seeing him live  a long time ago with the genius Norman Watt-Roy on bass….absolutely bedazzled me with his guitar playing, seemingly not to change the motion of his picking hand but getting all sorts of sounds from the Tele. Not so much on the vocal side though…

RIP Wilko, one of a kind.

The same - many happy Saturday nights in London pubs in the mid-eighties. Although I have to admit I spent more time watching Norman and wishing I could play bass like that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was a regular attender of the Lee Brilleaux memorials held every year at the Oysterfleet Hotel on Canvey Island.  It was great when Wilko, Sparko & Big Figure played together again, usually with an A-list  guest vocalist.

He'll be much missed but he did gain an extra few years when he survived pancreatic cancer.  Two great films featuring him and the other Feelgoods are "Oil City Confidential" and "The Ecstacy of Wilko Johnson".

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Let’s not forget Wilko’s  later career, his ‘farewell tour’, miraculous life-extending cancer surgery, Game of Thrones, laconic humour, final two albums and being recognised at last as a cultural icon and not just Estuary but national treasury rogue we all loved. Worth two of any other R&B guitarists. 

Dava, promoted Solid Senders 1978. Virgin Records store didn’t sell a bleeding’ ticket!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dava said:

Let’s not forget Wilko’s  later career, his ‘farewell tour’, miraculous life-extending cancer surgery, Game of Thrones, laconic humour, final two albums and being recognised at last as a cultural icon and not just Estuary but national treasury rogue we all loved. Worth two of any other R&B guitarists. 

Keen amateur astronomer too.

• Like 1