Rapido OO Gauge Y7

AY Mod

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

inf popped into my email inbox today from Hattons, an update?

"Rapido have shown initial render images for their newly tooled 'Y7' in OO gauge. A range of NER, LNER, BR and NCB variations are due in 2024. Pricing is unconfirmed, wishlist your model now and we will notify you when pre-orders open."

this is the link

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/5723/rapido_trains_uk_oo_0_4_0t_class_y7_ner#models

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those who wish to photograph and ride behind 1310 before the boiler ticket expires (subject to availability) 1310 will haul trains on the 16th and 23rd of July at the Middleton Railway in Leeds.  

To whet your appetite for the model below is a short video of it in action

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, JShow said:

I'm not sure anyone's mentioned the additional dumb buffers on LNER 986. Perfect for working with chaldrons.

That was my thoughts, one pre-ordered from the nice people with Scouse accents.

Good price as well.

• Like 2

Nice as the illustrations are, what about the internals? I hate to mention Stay Alives* when cctransuk is about, but will there be space to fit one?

*I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it. 😁

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Nice as the illustrations are, what about the internals? I hate to mention Stay Alives* when cctransuk is about, but will there be space to fit one?

*I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it. 😁

Feel free, old darling!

It is an unfortunate factor in the human condition that there are those amongst us who like to make life more difficult for themselves.

(Spoken in the plummy tones of 'Rumpole of the Bailey' - with whom I have just had the pleasure of reliving the past)!

My verdict for perfect running? Live frogs, and EVERY single length of rail directly connected to busbars by heavy gauge copper wire.

JMHO,

CJI.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Feel free, old darling!

It is an unfortunate factor in the human condition that there are those amongst us who like to make life more difficult for themselves.

(Spoken in the plummy tones of 'Rumpole of the Bailey' - with whom I have just had the pleasure of reliving the past)!

My verdict for perfect running? Live frogs, and EVERY single length of rail directly connected to busbars by heavy gauge copper wire.

JMHO,

CJI.

Good old Rumpole, an England that is no more, maybe  it never was, but we thought it was.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hard to tell if the lettering/numbering on 68089 is right or not. It looks like it might be slightly off. Scaling from numerous photos, I came to the conclusion the lettering was 6” high, and the numbering 10”; the lower edge of the numbering I worked out at 1 foot above the footplate, while the lower edge of the lettering is at 2’6”. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Hard to tell if the lettering/numbering on 68089 is right or not. It looks like it might be slightly off. Scaling from numerous photos, I came to the conclusion the lettering was 6” high, and the numbering 10”; the lower edge of the numbering I worked out at 1 foot above the footplate, while the lower edge of the lettering is at 2’6”. 

Hope this helps! 

I agree it likely is 6" and 10", needs some adjustment as the lettering at the moment is ever so slightly under. Cheers!

EDIT - this is with the sizes adjusted as you suggested, I think you are likely right.

Screenshot2023-07-29at14_10_23.png.3263400d0e848c7d63511fd9173a6e43.png

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

I agree it likely is 6" and 10", needs some adjustment as the lettering at the moment is ever so slightly under. Cheers!

Good to hear we agree, Corbs - I did spend a lot of time scaling it! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2023 at 20:07, cctransuk said:

And also clean track, wheels and pick-ups!

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And also clean track, wheels and pick-ups!

Agreed - though I find that laying track carefully, with no dodgy feeds via railjoiners, plus live frogs, makes track and wheel cleaning a very rare necessity.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Agreed - though I find that laying track carefully, with no dodgy feeds via railjoiners, plus live frogs, makes track and wheel cleaning a very rare necessity.

CJI.

Couldn't agree more re careful laying of track and robust wiring!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JohnR said:

And what about the rest of us who dont have the skills to lay perfect track, or keep it perfectly clean all the time? Its an aid to the great many average modelers. 

Well, with the greatest of respect, the question of whether a flat baseboard surface is provided, whether the underlay is fixed in a flat and even manner on said flat baseboard and whether the individual sections of track are fixed flat on the surface of the underlay is surely entirely under the control of the person building the layout?

I accept that on a large layout, especially if dead frog points have been used, then a short wheelbase loco may give problems, especially if some parts of the layout are difficult to reach to clean and certainly the DCC stay-alive solution here comes into it's own.

But if you want to run a short-wheelbase loco on analogue (say, because you are a dinosaur like me), then the clean and flat track and live frog points certainly help.

Each to his (or her) own, of course.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

And what about the rest of us who dont have the skills to lay perfect track, or keep it perfectly clean all the time? Its an aid to the great many average modelers. 

Why do we constantly get the complaint that people "don't have the skills to lay perfect track"?

My garage-sized layout is the first that I have built - aged 73. The layout is split into ten baseboards, each hinged to the wall for easy access to the wiring.

There is ZERO physical or electrical inter-baseboard connection - each board is effectively an independent layout. I have minimal electrical knowledge or experience.

The baseboards are quality plywood screwed to quality softwood framing, with standard cork underlay attached with spray adhesive - nothing whatsoever exotic or skilled here.

The track is standard Peco Code 75 flat-bottomed, and I learned how to convert the turnouts to live frog from an enquiry here.

The only thing that I did, which some modellers may not do, was to fix a continuous ring bus main of THICK copper wire, right round the room, for each control section.

These bus mains were connected to EACH AND EVERY, length of rail by stout copper dropper wires - ZERO reliance on rail joiners for electrical continuity.

If you can't be bothered to go to these lengths to ensure electrical integrity, don't blame your lack of skills - what I have done is ultra-basic but thorough, and no amount of 'stay-alives' or track / wheel cleaning will compensate if the power to rail connection is less than 100%.

...... and all the above applies, regardless of whether you use DC or DCC - I use the former, so no 'stay-alives' for me!

If you want perfect running, put in the time and effort - it's not rocket science!

John Isherwood.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Why do we constantly get the complaint that people "don't have the skills to lay perfect track"?

Because, people dont have the skills? It may not be rocket science to you, but it IS difficult to a majority of people. 

• Like 3