RMweb

Hornby Collectors' Club Exclusive - BR Princess Coronation 4-6-2 ‘Coronation’ No. 46220

AY Mod

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well it should inevitably sell well if they're only selling 500😇.    They clearly know their (captive) market for sales via this route and will therefore adjust the size of their order from the factory to suit and price it according to the return they need to get from a limited number of models.

There might well be some people on RMweb who will buy it but equally there will be some who don't - and we don't know how many of the former there are on RMweb.  But judging by the size of RMweb's membership statistically there might well be a recognisable percentage of the sales to RMweb members but neither you nor I know how many there will be.  Equally statistically it is blindingly obvious that the vast majority of RMweb members will not buy it for the very simple reason that Hornby are not offering umpteen thousand of these for general sale but a restricted number to a specific market.

It seems that on RMweb no-one is allowed to say anything positive about Hornby these days, which is why those who will be buying are wisely keeping their heads down...

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I recall when Hornby announced the Purple Platinum loco, there were lots of people saying the same sorts of things. They have yet to eat their portion of humble pie, despite the clear success of that issue. 

This one will do just as well, I'm sure. I have to say I'm tempted myself. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I think the vitriol that is spouting forth is rather uncalled for. Perfectly nice model, at a perfectly reasonable price for a semi-topical reason. Don’t like it, then not buying it is always an option.

it smacks of people actively looking for reasons to be angry at Hornby, which is a bit peculiar to be honest.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I recall when Hornby announced the Purple Platinum loco, there were lots of people saying the same sorts of things. They have yet to eat their portion of humble pie, despite the clear success of that issue. 

Yes but the hype for that wasn’t built up as a big Warley announcement 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Agree 5

Its a nice model, a counterpoint to the LNER loco they're making a fuss about, and appropriate for next year. I think the feeling of disappointment is because people wanted something that would show that OO hadn't been forgotten after the hoopla of the TT120 launch last month.  Sadly all they got was a new livery on a current loco. Its no wonder that there's some grumbling.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Hornby does confuse me at times!

On the positive side … in my opinion it’s a clever announcement to release this loco. 2023 will see the first royal coronation for 70 years and the model is timed to arrive ahead of it. So potentially wide appeal. At first I thought the price was a mistake … only £139.99 (+ £30 to join the collectors club). Compare that to the £362.99 for the Jubilee HST power cars.

On the negative side … a run of only 500 … that few? If they sell all with the collectors club entry fee, that brings in approx £85k of income … not going to pay the salary for too many employees, and that’s before costs, taxes etc are taken into account. Also, I did have to double-check that this loco is OO gauge and not TT-120 … but why not release in both scales? It feels like another missed opportunity to me. While as others have mentioned, it doesn’t match the feel of an ‘experience’ as stated within Hornby’s publicity in the build up.

Lo and behold, the loco is now showing as unavailable … has it sold out already? 🤦‍♂️

883A924D-02C8-4E17-BE58-B63DB14C4714.jpeg.804c954fbcf3860607c8c9dc7012da4a.jpeg

It feels like an example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in so many ways! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

This will sell well to Gentlemen of a certain generation and Train collector/Train Set (possibly ) owner, who go to a Model Shop and look at Engines, see this Blue one and think, I haven't got one this colour. They will then look more closely and see it's to do with Charles III and think oh yes and it's a special collector's one for the Coronation, my wife will love that.

Next they have their wallet out and get out actual Notes and count £150 worth, saying to the person getting it into a nice bag, "Do keep the penny, see you next year". I suspect more than 500 such Gentlemen exist. 

Keep moaning though.

Edited by Mallard60022
Been drinking again.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's surprisingly cheap for a Dublo special edition, perhaps an indicator of more realistic pricing going forwards?

The massive RRP hikes of the last few years are surely unsustainable in the current climate and judging by the surplus of unsold models sitting on shelves, there is a limit to what people are willing to pay.

Apart from that the announcement was a bit embarrassing. Whilst other manufacturers have announced attention-grabbing products that modellers have been crying out for, Hornby is releasing a slightly different variation of a loco that has been in their catalogue for decades.

The way it was hyped up as an "experience" suggested something far more significant, from a PR perspective I think it would have been better to keep quiet. Surely they know their audience? People attending Warley are modellers, not collectors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edge said:

I think the vitriol that is spouting forth is rather uncalled for. Perfectly nice model, at a perfectly reasonable price for a semi-topical reason. Don’t like it, then not buying it is always an option.

it smacks of people actively looking for reasons to be angry at Hornby, which is a bit peculiar to be honest.

Exactly...repetitive sniping.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

It's surprisingly cheap for a Dublo special edition, perhaps an indicator of more realistic pricing going forwards?

The massive RRP hikes of the last few years are surely unsustainable in the current climate and judging by the surplus of unsold models sitting on shelves, there is a limit to what people are willing to pay.

Apart from that the announcement was a bit embarrassing. Whilst other manufacturers have announced attention-grabbing products that modellers have been crying out for, Hornby is releasing a slightly different variation of a loco that has been in their catalogue for decades.

The way it was hyped up as an "experience" suggested something far more significant, from a PR perspective I think it would have been better to keep quiet. Surely they know their audience? People attending Warley are modellers, not collectors.

I doubt very much this is the metal bodied HD version of this loco for that price. It's either main range, TT or Hornby having advertised the wrong RRP!

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

I didn't see any mention of it being a "Dublo" special edition. Collectors Club loco's are usually well priced, Manston was £105 with club discount, and the new Class 2 MT was priced at £149.99.  

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

It wasn't advertised as a Hornby Dublo special, and its a good price, even for a standard range loco. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

It wasn't advertised as a Hornby Dublo special, and its a good price, even for a standard range loco. 

Correct- it wasn't advertised as a Dublo! My mistake. You're right, it is a good price, much better value than the <£300 Turbomotive.

For the record, I'm not criticising the product and I don't think anyone else is. I'm criticising the way in which it was announced.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Correct- it wasn't advertised as a Dublo! My mistake. You're right, it is a good price, much better value than the <£300 Turbomotive.

For the record, I'm not criticising the product and I don't think anyone else is. I'm criticising the way in which it was announced.

I agree with you on the announcement. I wonder if they had something more substantial planned, but had to pull it at the last minute?

Anyway, I'm glad I took the plunge and ordered one up, as it seems to have sold out. I wonder if Hornby will extend the run?

2 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

On the negative side … a run of only 500 … that few? If they sell all with the collectors club entry fee, that brings in approx £85k of income … not going to pay the salary for too many employees, and that’s before costs, taxes etc are taken into account. Also, I did have to double-check that this loco is OO gauge and not TT-120 … but why not release in both scales? It feels like another missed opportunity to me. While as others have mentioned, it doesn’t match the feel of an ‘experience’ as stated within Hornby’s publicity in the build up.

£85k, sure but that’s how Hornby’s business model works.  They sell comparatively small numbers across a wide range. 

in this case, it further amortises the tool cost and l, if they’re selling it exclusively, makes both their commissioning margin and sales margin.  Selling 500 of these is likely to be better business than selling a larger number of models via other retailers.  We also don’t know the extent to which adding 500 to an existing production run but with different paint/box drives efficiency with the factory.

• Like 1

I cannot remember when Hornby introduced Coronation Class "Sir William A.Stanier", it was not too long ago. I paid £161 for that loco, if the tooling was available, a change of name and livery, the price for this new model would now be about right for a Club model.

19 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Shame they didn't add in a TT version.....

Les

Possibly due to uncertainty concerning delivery dates for any TT120 Princess Coronations. They're probably towards the end of phase 1 or early phase 2, but it might not be sensible to bet on that for a time sensitive release.

All the above is open to correction!!!

Edited by Hroth
Sorry, I typed "Royals" instead of "Coronations"...
  • Like 1

it may be a run off 500 but then the purple queen elizabeth was soon doubled production run as it sold out in a few hours from being announced. this may not go so quick but I doubt Hornby wouldn't increase the numbers if it is popular.

I ordered one. it will look nice next to my express blue Mallard and Flying Scotsman

• Thanks 1