Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pronunciation of railway associated words.

Ohmisterporter

Want to speak Wiganese ?

A visit to the underpass at Wigan North Western station will educate you!!

The-Wigan-Mural-1.jpg

IMG_2449RSZD.JPG.922d72bdd00a49c2fe03f342b77e5c5c.JPG

IMG_2453RSZD.JPG.dd424c14159fcece9df57e390c3db24a.JPG

IMG_2455RSZD.JPG.9ce1c636d78954601fb6f71542536ec9.JPG

IMG_2456RSZD.JPG.7cbc048f23b7ce0c8c794335827f8a45.JPG

Brit15

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

The emergency indicator was called either a dalek

I find it funny that ‘dalek’ is pretty much the universally agreed name for an emergency indicator!

59 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

I don’t know if that was just the Western way or whether all the regions used the same style

it’s way before my time so don’t know, they have always been reflective for me 

1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

The “see bord” comment was just because the thread is about pronunciation

I can C what you mean! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, big jim said:

I find it funny that ‘dalek’ is pretty much the universally agreed name for an emergency indicator!

Daleks were the machines that opened and closed the doors on HAA MGR coal hoppers.

Pronounced dah-lecks, just to stay on topic...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Daleks were the machines that opened and closed the doors on HAA MGR coal hoppers.

forgot about those too, they were still in place but out of use when I first started going to ratcliffe

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

there will be some Dr Who fan along to tell us that’s wrong! 

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

New question: Plates on signal box levers giving the lever number, description and pulls. I've seen these referred to in writing as "leads", but I don't think I've ever heard the word pronounced. Are they the sort of lead you might use when walking the dog, or the sort of lead you might use for roofing your church (with or without a clerestory)?

Like the Yorkshire city.  Also called "lever plates" or "Pull Plates", at least when then do list the other levers that you have to pull to release the interlocking on the lever.  Quite often the numbers are engraved into Traffolite (a sheet of black plastic sandwiched between two white sheets).

When a lever function has to be changed and a new plate is needed, S&T often just turned and old one over and engraved on the other side, the original being invisible when fitted to a casting on the lever.  So sometimes signalmen do a little unauthorised archeology during a quiet spell by unscrewing the plate to see what it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Not if pronounced by Sylvester McCoy Doctor!

He pronounced it with a very Scottish accent and more like Dal-eks.

1 hour ago, big jim said:

there will be some Dr Who fan along to tell us that’s wrong! 

HTH!

Jason

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not if pronounced by Sylvester McCoy Doctor!

He pronounced it with a very Scottish accent and more like Dal-eks.

HTH!

Jason

The ones I worked with were all in Yorkshire!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

When I started on the Western Region in the late 80s, everyone referred to the commencement board as the “C board” and the termination board as the “T board”. The emergency indicator was called either a dalek or a metal mickey, and the warning board was often called an arrow warning board even though they no longer had an arrow shape by then. Blue was the colour back then, and they were illuminated rather than today’s reflective type. I don’t know if that was just the Western way or whether all the regions used the same style. 
The “see bord” comment was just because the thread is about pronunciation. 

And on the Western we did nit have such things as TSRs but TRSs (Temporary Restriction [of] Speed.   Plus of course EROS (and EROS notices, on pink paper but called 'Red Notices) for Emergency Restrictions Of Speed.   And we also had PROS, normally written as PRS, for Permanent Restrictions Of Speed.

I think the term 'metal mickey' was fairly universal for the EROS advance warning boards on the Western because they had replaced the human being who in (not much) earlier times was there to 'shoot the EROS' - i.e. he placed a detonator on the line and exhibited a hand signal to Drivers of approaching trains..  It used to be quite a complex procedure for EROSs prior to the introduction of metal mickeys and they had to be shot until they were published in the weekly K2 Notice which meant the PerWay had to provide cover for a week otherwise all trains had to be stopped and the Driver reminded of the EROS..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2024 at 09:28, St Enodoc said:

You've forgotten about the ones that knock the locks off and put back on again.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 96701 said:

You've forgotten about the ones that knock the locks off and put back on again.

I didn't want to get too technical, Phil!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Railpassion said:

Mansell not Maunsell, in Southern land.

On the LMS,  I've heard Stan yer and Stain ee er for Sir John Stanier.

Wasn't it Sir William, or was there another one?

Regards

Ian

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/05/2024 at 13:50, The Stationmaster said:

TRS

TRS has two totally different meanings in the live entertainment industry, one lighting and one sound. For us Lampies it means Toughened Rubber Sleeve and is/was 15amp extension cables, now also expanded to include 16amp extension cables, for the noiseboys it is Tip-Ring-Sleeve, a type of jack to jack signal cable. Neither seem to be as common in usage as they were a few years back though.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2024 at 08:05, Ian Smeeton said:

Wasn't it Sir William, or was there another one?

Regards

Ian

As a matter of interest William (Bill) Stanier was a Permanent  Way Inspector at Reading who retired in the late 1960s (although regrettably he dropped dead as he was making his way out of the office door for the last time on the day he finished).  He was not related to the other William Stanier.

However a chap named Churchward who I worked with on the WR in the 1970s was distantly related to the great man.   My Secretary in my final 'big railway' job had some years previously been Secretary to Bob Urie - who was in some way related to his far better known namesake.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/05/2024 at 14:01, The Stationmaster said:

As a matter of interest William (Bill) Stanier was a Permanent  Way Inspector at Reading who retired in the late 1960s (although regrettably he dropped dead as he was making his way out of the office door for the last time on the day he finished).  He was not related to the other William Stanier.

However a chap named Churchward who I worked with on the WR in the 1970s was distantly related to the great man.   My Secretary in my final 'big railway' job had some years previously been Secretary to Bob Urie - who was in some way related to his far better known namesake.

There was a driver at Old Oak in the '80s who was related to Churchward by marriage Mike, although I forget his name now.

On 07/05/2024 at 11:17, Michael Hodgson said:

Like the Yorkshire city.  Also called "lever plates" or "Pull Plates", at least when then do list the other levers that you have to pull to release the interlocking on the lever.  Quite often the numbers are engraved into Traffolite (a sheet of black plastic sandwiched between two white sheets).

When a lever function has to be changed and a new plate is needed, S&T often just turned and old one over and engraved on the other side, the original being invisible when fitted to a casting on the lever.  So sometimes signalmen do a little unauthorised archeology during a quiet spell by unscrewing the plate to see what it used to be.

On reading this, and remembering the instrument engineer at work engraving name plates for our intruments, I decided to look up Traffolite and between wikipedia and Graces Guide, learned that it was named after the Trafford Park works of Metropolitan Vickers where it was invented, was made at a factory in Walthamstow which was later bought by my erstwhile employer De La Rue (who also later had a factory in North Shields making Formica). De La Rue are still in the plastic business in a way, they make the plastic banknotes for BoE.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

There was a driver at Old Oak in the '80s who was related to Churchward by marriage Mike, although I forget his name now.

And, alas,  so do I Nidge ...  and I can't connect with any of the former West of England ones who were around at that time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a recording of the driver of a GWR express who calls his train the "Cornish Riveera"

(on a BBC LP)  I was surprised by this.

• Like 1