Sam's Trains responds to mean comments

BachelorBoy

• BachelorBoy changed the title to Sam's Trains responds to mean comments

I too don't normally watch his channel as previous viewings of some of his videos were not to my personal interest, but I did watch this and found it an entertaining half hour.  He has his fans, and good on him for that, and I can't help thinking some of the critics aren't actually commenting from a position of having watched any of his output.

I wonder how long it'll be before this thread is locked when the inevitable firestorm starts as happened on the YouTube thread?  Let's hope people can keep it civil or not bother posting.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I too don't normally watch his channel as previous viewings of some of his videos were not to my personal interest, but I did watch this and found it an entertaining half hour.  He has his fans, and good on him for that, and I can't help thinking some of the critics aren't actually commenting from a position of having watched any of his output.

I wonder how long it'll be before this thread is locked when the inevitable firestorm starts as happened on the YouTube thread?  Let's hope people can keep it civil or not bother posting.

Well said Wombat. Too much 'mob' mentality on some threads these days. Getting like that Farce Brook thingy.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Everything seems to require folks to have an "attitude" and a "competitive nature" about stuff nowadays. Cookery shows, DIY, makeovers, antique shows, etc all seem to suffer from this. I remember the days when Barry Bucknall just made a cabinet or laid a formica top without any fuss - end of.

Hopefully this isn't penetrating the world of model railways. Nice to see a younger generation using new social outlets to promote the hobby. There are enough of us greyhaired humourless grumpy old ---s around...🤪

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I remember the days when Barry Bucknall just made a cabinet or laid a formica top without any fuss - end of.

His oft done method of modernising by covering up many, what at the time were considered "old fashioned details", with a sheet of hardboard have meant that many are still there to be re-incorporated into today's decor.

He wasn't however shy on completely removing some now desirable features when it suited him.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

Won't watch it as it's clickbait. People do realise his videos are monetised?

But having watched some of his videos in the past I feel much of the criticism is justified. How can you review something when you don't even know what it is? Testing delicate items on a carpet then complaining the model is rubbish is another one that gets my goat. I could go on with about a dozen other criticisms.

Maybe he should look at the criticism and see how he can improve things. Doing an hours research on the item he is reviewing would be a start. Wiki is a good starting point.

His presenting style isn't my cup of tea, but I can see that being more of a generation gap thing. He does seem popular with kids.

I don't do social media so I can't comment on whether some of the criticism there is a bit more extreme. I would expect it is. Totally against any comments aimed at the person though. 

But the old saying is "If you can't stand the heat get out of the fire!".  In other words, if you put yourself on a pedestal you need a thick skin.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

It's tribalism and it's infiltrating everything these days.

For people who partake in social media gone are the days when you can be on the fence - you're either with us or against us.

There have always been elements of this within the railway modelling community, those that espouse P4 as the one true scale for example but it's never been on the scale of external general social media where people troll, attack and insult people for having a view different to their own.  You coud blame Trump, but it began well before him in the dark recesses of the internet, he just used it to weaponise hatred and organise his powerbase against everyone else.

Sam's Trains is completely harmless but some people really don't like him, I imagine perhaps an element of jealously from other wannabe YouTubers and those who simply don't understand how the internet works and it's democratization of people who wish their views to be heard by a wide audience. I did get a mention on the video above, I was attempting in the element his girlfriend quoted to be complimenting his skills as a modeller and broadcaster, but they used it to open discussion about his slippers and nerdiness, fair enough I suppose.

I've learnt to become very good at using "Don't Recommend", "Hide" and "Ignore" options on sites (including this one) for anything that is winding me up; taking myself out of the situation rather than adding to the problem.  Some things I don't have a view on and it's good to remember that not having a view is a perfectly acceptable position to take, picking sides without good reason is just falling prey to peer pressure.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

People do realise his videos are monetised?

Of course.

The advertising revenue is what pays for the items he reviews.

In effect it's his job, as with many people who regularly post on YT and other social media platforms.

It's a pity there isn't a more upmarket version of Sam, doing the same thing but in a more controlled and serious manner.

Problem is, it probably wouldn't attract the necessary younger viewers that drives his viewing figures.

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

His oft done method of modernising by covering up many, what at the time were considered "old fashioned details", with a sheet of hardboard have meant that many are still there to be re-incorporated into today's decor.

He wasn't however shy on completely removing some now desirable features when it suited him.

Totally off topic.

But I remember in the 1970s there was always a massive local bonfire and most of it was old furniture. Thinking back it would have been antique and now worth a fortune. All things like Welsh Dressers and drop leaf tables,

Everyone wanted the new modern flat pack stuff!

Jason

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Totally off topic.

But I remember in the 1970s there was always a massive local bonfire and most of it was old furniture. Thinking back it would have been antique and now worth a fortune. All things like Welsh Dressers and drop leaf tables,

Everyone wanted the new modern flat pack stuff!

Jason

But that old stuff being all wood and not full of glue/plastic burnt so well 😀

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's tribalism and it's infiltrating everything these days.

For people who partake in social media gone are the days when you can be on the fence - you're either with us or against us.

This appeared in a feed a long time ago, and your comment, above, reminded me of it. 

How Social Media works:

Me: "I prefer mangoes to oranges..."

Random Person: "So basically what you're saying is that you hate oranges?  You also failed to mention pineapples, bananas and grapefruits.  OMG, educate yourself!."

Best

Scott

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I have no real opinion on quality or otherwise of this person’s videos, but fair play to him for making some sort of living out of it.

I’m going to put myself right up on the parapet here…I often wonder if criticism such has been levelled at this person’s efforts, and indeed a fair old few other things, is a result partly of the demographic of this and perhaps other places. We, as older people, perhaps with low or paid up mortgages, best years past us, settled in life, a bit of money to spend, perhaps don’t understand or have no sympathy when someone remarks, for instance, that x is too expensive or whatever and have no compunction in letting them know that. The ire that some of the threads in this place creates is pretty unsettling, especially when someone has the temerity to disagree with the main thrust of opinion of the majority. The early days of the HS2 thread is a good example of this.

They do things differently these days, whether us old farts like or understand it is neither here nor there. Anyway that’s my opinion, not a fact.

I’m ready so…Load, aim , fire.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

How can you review something when you don't even know what it is? 

Maybe he should look at the criticism and see how he can improve things.

Because, from what I've seen anyway, he makes no attempt to review how good a model of the prototype it is.  He seems to concentrate on how it runs, the finish etc.

Why does he need to improve things?  He's already got twice as many subscribers as Chadwick Model Railway and 40,000 more than Everard Junction for example so, clearly, there is a big audience for what he does.  Most of what he does isn't for me but I have a friend who would love a permanently set up 'train set', not a model railway and he likes what Sam does and watches the majority of his videos...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Of course.

The advertising revenue is what pays for the items he reviews.

In effect it's his job, as with many people who regularly post on YT and other social media platforms.

It's a pity there isn't a more upmarket version of Sam, doing the same thing but in a more controlled and serious manner.

Problem is, it probably wouldn't attract the necessary younger viewers that drives his viewing figures.

There is. Try Hornby Magazines YouTube channel. ISTR Railway Modeller has done a few as well. Unsure whether MR or BRM has, but I don't think they have YouTube channels

Good review, a bit of information on the prototype and shows the models going around a proper layout.

Example here picked at random

Sorry to the mods for recommending a "rival"

Jason.

• Like 1

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unsure whether ... BRM has

We certainly do as part of our digital editions, World of Railways website and YouTube channel.

I'm locking the topic as it'll just become a repeat of the previously locked one.

• Informative/Useful 1