Hornby Advent Calendar 2022

Hroth

Well I have been looking at the advent calendar each day and finally there is something that interests me, the Flying Scotsman. Except I already have it….   When looking at the hoops that Hornby want us to jump through to enter for these prizes, tag friends, be a Hornby member….  The word that comes to my mind is “Prostitution”.  No thanks Hornby.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, AyJay said:

The word that comes to my mind is “Prostitution”.

Now that's just ridiculous - I've spent a lot of time today explaining that not everyone here is a pillock and then I read that. Maybe they're all right?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2022 at 08:10, Hroth said:

Day NINE

Win a Cola Cola Christmas train set.

Instagram incantations required.

For some reasons, this lucky dip is "Adults Only"...

Maybe there’s rum to go with the coke .

this isn’t doing it for me . I remember a couple of years ago we had someone doing their own Hornby advent Calendar with scenes from catalogues and train sets . That was much more evocative . Still I suppose I’m not the demographic they want these days 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2

To be honest, the dead hand of social media doesn't provide the most enthralling run up to Christmas, and its surprising that as well as the "competitions", there aren't any special offers from the Hornby store, they must have some slow moving product to flog off!

Hey ho, only another 15 days to go...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

To be honest, the dead hand of social media doesn't provide the most enthralling run up to Christmas, and its surprising that as well as the "competitions", there aren't any special offers from the Hornby store, they must have some slow moving product to flog off!

Hey ho, only another 15 days to go...

Yep, surprised the Bulleid brakes or MK3s haven't turned up yet. 

• RMweb Premium

I think it's a bit poor that they tag each day as 'Reveal Offer' which raises hope for a bargain something-or-other, as eg Rails and Digitrains are doing, only to find it's actually a lottery-style competition entry based on a person's social media presence and/or current Club membership, which is not the same thing at all IMO.

Bit disappointed...

David

Edited by Grafarman
Typo
  • Agree 1

Day TWELVE

Win a weathered Class 91

Tiktok incantations required.

@Grafarmanit's the way Hornby has done this for a while. There was a period when Hornby did offer bargains but this dropped out of favour for some reason. There is a direct entry opportunity in the cycle, though it is submerged in the dead hand of social media data mining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Day THIRTEEN

Cola Cola bundle, name and email on Hornby website.

No social media incantations, but "adults only". No idea why...

Unfortunately a case of "wokery". Too many people think it makes their kids fat. It doesn't. 

Liverpool City Council and a few others banned the Coca Cola truck visiting at Christmas.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-ban-coca-cola-truck-11435040

Hornby have probably thought best not to be antagonising the "ban everything" mob and not aimed it at kids.

Jason

Im interested to see if they will announce the release date of the 2023 range or show a hint of what the catalogue looks like on one the days. I remember a couple of years ago they did this with the painting of the 9F. Im checking the calendar more to see this rather than any of the offers or competitions! 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Im interested to see if they will announce the release date of the 2023 range or show a hint of what the catalogue looks like on one the days. I remember a couple of years ago they did this with the painting of the 9F. Im checking the calendar more to see this rather than any of the offers or competitions! 

Unfortunately they released that we are a bunch of Sherlocks that could work out what the picture on the cover was!

So they are a bit more careful nowadays.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Standards_in_OO said:

I thought they had abandoned the idea of an annual announcement in favour of announcing announcements throughout the year

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rovex said:

I thought they had abandoned the idea of an annual announcement in favour of announcing announcements throughout the year

Hornby Magazine and Railway Modeller both said they’d have full coverage of the 2023 Catalogue in their next issues out at the start of January, although I suppose that doesn’t fully rule out a move to announcements throughout the year. 

4 minutes ago, rovex said:

That's Bachmann.

Hornby announcement will almost certainly be the second Monday in January.

Catalogue is already available for ordering.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/78736/R8162-Hornby-69th-Edition-Catalogue-2023