Bachmann Xmas announcement Monday

Craig1989

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I'm inclined to agree with you. Popularity can really only be measured in terms of the number sold where enough are made to satisfy demand, not the rate at which a limited edition sells. A low quantity limited edition may sell out very rapidly, but only because the people who do want it know they have to get in quick in order to get their hands on one. 

I mean, I could announce a limited edition of just one thing. It will sell out almost instantly, because it will be completely out of stock the moment a sale is made. That wouldn't make it popular.

(For avoidance of doubt, I don't object to manufacturers doing limited edition items for their club membership, because exclusivity is part of the deal - access to those limited editions is part of what you're paying for with your membership fee. But you can't compare those with general sale items in terms of popularity).

Fully concur, I have recently bought two items from a 2nd run NOT because I need them now but because I will in a few months time (Dapol Sentinel & the Hornby Mag brake tender) as I missed both first time around and who knows when, if ever, another run will be made.

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea what it will be but I have probably already built at least one or have got a kit/donor ready to start. 

I have form in this area, including the Pillbox and Dancehall brake vans, plate wagons, coke hoppers, SR 8-plank open, pipe wagons and resurrection of an ABS Southern banana van.

Candidates from the recently done pile include a 74xx pannier tank and LMS 6-wheel fish van. WIP includes an LMS 4-wheel fish van.

They could join the recent fashion and fill the gap of the LMS/BR 9ft wb banana vans, both currently being prepared for assembley.

To be really useful they should do a proper LMS ventilated van to replace the present stunted one or perhaps an iron ore wagon of correct length.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

To be really useful they should do a proper LMS ventilated van to replace the present stunted one or perhaps an iron ore wagon of correct length.

Amen to both of them.  Several designs of LMS / BR slding door vanfit.  My preference would be the 1/230 

Paul Bartlett's Photographs | BR ventilated Fruit vans ZQV ZRV (zenfolio.com)

Thanks Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw this thread the other day and my thoughts on what it might be are: 

A new batch of Class 37s given that the announcement of a newly tooled model was a few months ago and most, if not all of the first batch including Kernow Limited Edition models have now arrived with retailers. Maybe Bachmann wanted to get the first batch into the shops before announcing anymore, to avoid a backlog of announcements that have already been announced to the public but haven’t arrived with retailers. 

A newly tooled Class 66 given that Bachmann have retooled there Class 37 and 47 recently. With the endless liveries and variations on the 66, this would very much seem like natural progression for Bachmann as a business. 

The first batch of Class 69s may be due to arrive soon given that Bachmann announced the model was in development 18 months ago in mid 2021. So depending on how early development started the first batch may be almost or already complete. The Class 69 was also announced separately to the quarterly announcements so in this respect maybe we could expect there arrival announcement to be sepetate from the quarterly announcements too. 

I could be wrong but if it’s something other than one of the above three ideas I will be shocked because I can’t think of what else it could be. Unless it’s something steam related in which I don’t know that well 😂. Apologies steam modellers and collectors, the knowledge just isn’t there with me on this one. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2022 at 13:42, RichardT said:

It’s the announcement that they’ve sold all their N gauge tooling and stock to Sonic/Dapol/Rapido/someone who’s interested in supplying the UK N market. 🥲

RichardT

Well, it turned out to be 9mm gauge.  Ho hum…

RichardT

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Well, it turned out to be 9mm gauge.  Ho hum…

RichardT

Yes, it seems Bachmann can prioritise producing new tool 009 steam locos but not (or possibly at the expense of) N, in fact in N we don't even have existing tool models to choose at the moment - just three in stock at Barwell and those in the least popular liveries which is why I suspect they are still there.

OK, the 4F is supposedly incoming but it hasn't arrived yet and of known products then nothing until the J39 in May. It certainly does seem that production of 009 steam is being done at the expense of N and production slots prioritised accordingly as a deliberate policy.

It is hard to see how Bachmann will deal with the shortage of British N steam locos even in the medium term yet they have a suite of tooling that is very significant, just not the will it seems. The 4MT Tank has only ever had one production run in 2 liveries, 2008 in total, surely they could sell more now and it would have been a better5 choice than the Fairburn, LMS versions of which will inevitably be slow sellers. 

First world problems for sure, but Bachmann could at least be honest about where priorities lie.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

Yes, it seems Bachmann can prioritise producing new tool 009 steam locos but not (or possibly at the expense of) N, in fact in N we don't even have existing tool models to choose at the moment - just three in stock at Barwell and those in the least popular liveries which is why I suspect they are still there.

OK, the 4F is supposedly incoming but it hasn't arrived yet and of known products then nothing until the J39 in May. It certainly does seem that production of 009 steam is being done at the expense of N and production slots prioritised accordingly as a deliberate policy.

It is hard to see how Bachmann will deal with the shortage of British N steam locos even in the medium term yet they have a suite of tooling that is very significant, just not the will it seems. The 4MT Tank has only ever had one production run in 2 liveries, 2008 in total, surely they could sell more now and it would have been a better5 choice than the Fairburn, LMS versions of which will inevitably be slow sellers. 

First world problems for sure, but Bachmann could at least be honest about where priorities lie.

Roy

Priorities, well that’s simply sales! If they think it will sell well it is going to get pushed.

We don’t know the mind set at Bachmann, they could have lots of wonderful goodies planned but are keeping them quiet for now. I’m sure in time something will come along that will keep you awake at night with excitement.
Personally I’m still holding out hope for a L&YR model a nice 0-6-0 please. as the only thing available to modern standards is the 2-4-2t.

It is the season to be jolly after all! so be happy for those that will be thrilled with the latest announcement. Our time will come, now where’s the rum. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

This being so short after their last quarterly announcement, I was not expecting a big list of goodies.

But what a nice humble announcement of a cute OO-9 loco in Christmas tree green - so to speak ;-) 

One can almost imagine warming up around that firebox glow.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Roy

The RTR 009 market has absolutely exploded in the last few years. There was a huge well of untapped demand. Bachmann have obviously run the numbers and decided that 009 is more profitable (at the moment) than N. Plus they have 009 locos basically to themselves, whereas in N there is strong competition from Dapol, plus Revolution, Sonic, Rapido. The Ffestiniog and it’s engines are also very characterful, much more so than a 4MT or similar. I expect a lot of modellers will buy a Fairlie or one of the Hunslets just because. Plus there will be 00 modellers who look at their layout and go “I could just squeeze a bit of 009 in here and get an engine or two”. As frustrating as it is for N modellers I do think that 009 has more potential at the moment. Unlike a lot of other countries N is a very minor scale here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

The RTR 009 market has absolutely exploded in the last few years. There was a huge well of untapped demand. Bachmann have obviously run the numbers and decided that 009 is more profitable (at the moment) than N. Plus they have 009 locos basically to themselves, whereas in N there is strong competition from Dapol, plus Revolution, Sonic, Rapido. The Ffestiniog and it’s engines are also very characterful, much more so than a 4MT or similar. I expect a lot of modellers will buy a Fairlie or one of the Hunslets just because. Plus there will be 00 modellers who look at their layout and go “I could just squeeze a bit of 009 in here and get an engine or two”. As frustrating as it is for N modellers I do think that 009 has more potential at the moment. Unlike a lot of other countries N is a very minor scale here. 

Hi Tom

Actually that is factually incorrect, British N is second only to OO in this country in terms of modelling, reportedly about 1/4 to 1/5 the size so not "very minor" as you say. There may be something in what you say about some exiting OO modellers trying 009,  but in terms of market size N is second.

Secondly, Bachmann do not have 009 to themselves, Peco (via Kato) produce a FR locomotive plus a lot of rolling stock, Heljan have long produced L&B locos and recently RevolutioN have revealed a V of R 2-6-2 tank loco is to be produced for Model Rail.

Attractiveness is subjective I would say, and  some would find a 4MT Tank or Black Five much more appealing albeit maybe not as "cute" as say a Quarry Hunslet. 

Strong competition from others manufacturers for N products? Yes there is inevitably competition but Bachmann has a tooling portfilio of N models already that is far and away the most comprehensive without any new tool items. Dapol have demonstrated there is demand for steam by producing re-funs from what is now comparatively (compared to recent Farish) old designs and tooling yet they sell. Sonic are new, just one loco released so far, and from what I have heard Sam (Mr Sonic) is focussing on tank locos for the initial releases. Rapido and RevolutioN have yet to announce a single steam loco, to be fair to Ben and Mike, in the sake of the first they freely admit steam is not an area of expertise.

In terms of strategy I am not saying you are wrong, I honestly do not know, but if N (and especially steam) isn't a priority then I wish Bachmann would stop saying there will be "jam" next quarter while "bouncing" what few steam locos we do know about (J39 and 5MT) from a delivery around now to the middle of next year.

Regards

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1