Bachmann Xmas announcement Monday

Craig1989

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Is that the first time we have had a Gimp Mask on RMWeb? Asking for a friend…. 🤣

Possibly on RMweb but definitely not on a different model railway website....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

As we haven't had one for at least a fortnight, Bachmann are probably about to announce yet another retool of the Class 37....

In seriousness though, a new 40 in the light of KR Models recent rather poorly received announcement seems the most likely in a 'we have a brand new all signing and dancing one almost ready to go so they may as well back off before it is too late' kind of way.

D213 variant has just been tooled.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

D213 variant has just been tooled.

I think its too soon for a 40… D213 isnt due until summer, but I doubt it will arrive alone.

I’m expecting a 37, 47 or a 158… the known ones have just landed.

There are some catalog gaps.. 

class 37.. 35-302 and 303

class 47.. 35-416 and 417, 420 and 431

class 158..31-497, 31-499-501 

Edited by adb968008

14 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

As long as it is better than Hornby's MEGA ANNOUNCEMENT at Warley, I think most will be happy?

Bachmann are opening a tin of coronation blue paint and we are to watch it dry. It's still more exciting than Hornby's big announcement 🤣

• Funny 4

14 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

My though process was simply that all the Penrhyn liveries have arrived and then Bachmann go "Surprise!!!!! We made the FR Ladies at the same time and they came on the same boat as Charles but we kept that bit quiet"

If pre orders for the Penrhyn ones were such that Bachmann knew they would shift enough to be in profit on them and the tender versions were ready then it would make sense whilst the toolings were set up, with the neccessary tweaks, to produce the FR ones.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:53, shunny said:

Bachmann are opening a tin of coronation blue paint and we are to watch it dry. It's still more exciting than Hornby's big announcement 🤣

Not to some of us. I would have bought three of them. Sold out straight away so that shows how popular it was.

Any Duchess is more than welcome. Apart from Sussex obviously.

BTW It's not Coronation Blue, it's BR Caledonian Blue as carried on the 8Ps such as Duchesses, Kings, A1s, A3s, A4s and MNs and lasted from 1949 to the mid 1950s. Only about 150 locos got it....

Jason

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not to some of us. I would have bought three of them. Sold out straight away so that shows how popular it was.

Any Duchess is more than welcome. Apart from Sussex obviously.

BTW It's not Coronation Blue, it's BR Caledonian Blue as carried on the 8Ps such as Duchesses, Kings, A1s, A3s, A4s and MNs and lasted from 1949 to the mid 1950s. Only about 150 locos got it....

Jason

Can quickly selling-out all 500 of what is a very small edition really be defined as "popular"? Exactly the same thing happened to all the previous "New Hornby Dublo" productions.

I suspect there are enough avid collectors out there to ensure that will happen to any locomotive  produced in that format/quantity, irrespective of prototype or livery, and Hornby is fully aware how often they can visit the well without undermining the air of exclusivity. 

If you had been fortunate enough to acquire a "Coronation" and actually ran it, I suspect you would be one of quite a small minority of purchasers.   

John

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Can quickly selling-out all 500 of what is a very small edition really be defined as "popular"? Exactly the same thing happened to all the previous "New Hornby Dublo" productions.

I suspect there are enough avid collectors out there to ensure that will happen to any locomotive  produced in that format/quantity, irrespective of prototype or livery, and Hornby is fully aware how often they can visit the well without undermining the air of exclusivity. 

If you had been fortunate enough to acquire a "Coronation" and actually ran it, I suspect you would be one of quite a small minority of purchasers.   

John

How many of these short runs in the Bachmann Collectors Club are still there five years after launch? Then sold on to a third party for less than we are offered because they can't get rid of them?

I'm afraid it's usually D&Es. Yet we are told by some they sell....

TLDR Just getting fed up with people knocking Hornby and those that buy some of their stuff whilst trying to be funny. It's getting tedious beyond belief. Like they seem to think they are superior for not buying Hornby. They aren't.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

How many of these short runs in the Bachmann Collectors Club are still there five years after launch? Then sold on to a third party for less than we are offered because they can't get rid of them?

I'm afraid it's usually D&Es. Yet we are told by some they sell....

TLDR Just getting fed up with people knocking Hornby and those that buy some of their stuff whilst trying to be funny. It's getting tedious beyond belief. Like they seem to think they are superior for not buying Hornby. They aren't.

Jason

It's wasn't knocking, just an observation.

500 each of Hornby's metal bodied locos in ersatz Dublo boxes are pretty much guaranteed to be snapped up by R-number completists even if nobody else manages to get one. If they did the same with a  batch of 5,000 plastic-bodied ones, that would be real popularity! 

John,  (both of whose "Collector Club" locos, came from Hornby).🙂

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I think everybody might have got what this is about. It is not labelled as a "British Railway Announcement" but just as a "Bachmann Europe Announcement" — unlike all of the previous announcements since spring 2020. I conclude, therefore, that this is not a new model announcement at all, but something different. But what?

In my view there are two likely possibilities:

• Some kind of response to Hornby’s "Hobby Rewards" programme, but TBH given they don't do "online" I don’t see how they could get it to work; or
  • Price reductions for a short period, possibly the rest of 2022, promoted as helping their "valued retailers" during difficult times. This would be a sign that sales are disappointing, I think.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

How many of these short runs in the Bachmann Collectors Club are still there five years after launch?

I'm not aware any have been. OO releases sell out faster than N.

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Then sold on to a third party for less than we are offered because they can't get rid of them?

Which ones were those?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I think everybody might have got what this is about. It is not labelled as a "British Railway Announcement" but just as a "Bachmann Europe Announcement" — unlike all of the previous announcements since spring 2020. I conclude, therefore, that this is not a new model announcement at all, but something different. But what?

In my view there are two likely possibilities:

• Some kind of response to Hornby’s "Hobby Rewards" programme, but TBH given they don't do "online" I don’t see how they could get it to work; or
  • Price reductions for a short period, possibly the rest of 2022, promoted as helping their "valued retailers" during difficult times. This would be a sign that sales are disappointing, I think.

If you read the youtube description (which was copied and pasted in a post on page 1), you would know it is a product announcement.

Also the Class 47 & 37 new tooling announcements, were not part of a quarterly British Railway Announcement.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Can quickly selling-out all 500 of what is a very small edition really be defined as "popular"?

Given there are a lot of retailer exclusives and Collectors Club exclusives that get commissioned that only have 504 or however many that last quite a while on the shelves I think it's not unreasonable to say it was a popular release.

51 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not aware any have been.

I aren't sure there are any at the moment that have been 5 years, but I think there are a few that have been a few years. There are at least 2 from 2019 on there. Central Star and the weathered 4MT.

56 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Which ones were those?

That's one example. I expect getting shot before the retool.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Given there are a lot of retailer exclusives and Collectors Club exclusives that get commissioned that only have 504 or however many that last quite a while on the shelves I think it's not unreasonable to say it was a popular release.

I aren't sure there are any at the moment that have been 5 years, but I think there are a few that have been a few years. There are at least 2 from 2019 on there. Central Star and the weathered 4MT.

That's one example. I expect getting shot before the retool.

My essential point was that Hornby's metal-bodied "Dublo" locos have a particular appeal to buyers of a certain age that normal releases seldom enjoy. Hornby seems to retain the loyalty of such customers to an extent that the rest struggle to match.

It didn't hurt that announcing with almost immediate release also presses all the FOMO buttons but, TBF, it was a good choice of subject, even if the announcement was ludicrously over-hyped.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

It's wasn't knocking, just an observation.

500 each of Hornby's metal bodied locos in ersatz Dublo boxes are pretty much guaranteed to be snapped up by R-number completists even if nobody else manages to get one. If they did the same with a  batch of 5,000 plastic-bodied ones, that would be real popularity! 

I'm inclined to agree with you. Popularity can really only be measured in terms of the number sold where enough are made to satisfy demand, not the rate at which a limited edition sells. A low quantity limited edition may sell out very rapidly, but only because the people who do want it know they have to get in quick in order to get their hands on one. 

I mean, I could announce a limited edition of just one thing. It will sell out almost instantly, because it will be completely out of stock the moment a sale is made. That wouldn't make it popular.

(For avoidance of doubt, I don't object to manufacturers doing limited edition items for their club membership, because exclusivity is part of the deal - access to those limited editions is part of what you're paying for with your membership fee. But you can't compare those with general sale items in terms of popularity).

55 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

For avoidance of doubt, I don't object to manufacturers doing limited edition items for their club membership, because exclusivity is part of the deal - access to those limited editions is part of what you're paying for with your membership fee. But you can't compare those with general sale items in terms of popularity

The one that blows my mind there is when members buy something from the club, put it on eBay for more than what it cost plus membership, yet the item isn't sold out. 66720 from Bachmann is an example of that.

On 09/12/2022 at 17:30, Phatbob said:

Cue whishlisting and froth fest! ;-)

well..... as you wish.....heres a few of my own.....with sprinkles!

Class 81 AC Bo-Bo in 00 gauge

Class 87 in N gauge

Class 44 Peak in 00 Gauge

White Roof Inter-City Charter Mk1s or Inter-City Motorail