Revised BR double arrow logo

• Dagworth changed the title to Revised BR double arrow logo

The problem being solved is that some overpaid marketing types have to be seen to produce something in order to justify keeping them on the payroll.  Inventing a logo you've already got does an excellent job of demonstrating just how good these creative types are at creative thinking.

A firm I worked for spent a vast sum on marketing consultants to improve our house style and brand image.  Basically they changed our letterhead from brown to blue and picked a different ("more modern") typeface for it, and we then spent more money shredding unused old letterhead.  So what was wrong with brown, somebody asked.  They replied "You know what brown's the colour of, don't you ?"  😆

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is good that such an iconic design, has been properly redesigned.

Hopefully it will do away quickly with some of those abortions, as shown by Alderley Edge & Wandsworth Town. Not forgetting the rubbish 'We Mean Green' version. A single shade of green may have worked, but five - seriously!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

If anyone bothers to read that article that Andi linked above, it’s quite an interesting read and makes a lot of sense. In short it’s been digitised which means it’s easier to integrate into a design. 

But also the proportions have been simplified so the ratio of height to width is easier (8:5) and also the spacings where the arms are positioned across the width. Plus the middle arm angle matched to the outer arm. It is subtle and most won't notice  but I think they've done a good job.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

They've weakened an iconic design. 

Really?

Most people won't notice any difference. Despite having worked for 40 years in graphic design, I had to study the article before I could tell what has been altered.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

55 minutes ago, Railpassion said:

They've weakened an iconic design. 

I've been working with or around that symbol for 35 years and I had to look carefully to tell the difference between the original and the Job design. 

If putting in a digital-friendly format stops people committing abominations like the RDG and Alderly Edge etc versions, so much the better. 

• Agree 4

Nick Job appears to have been well aware of the logo's iconic status and the brilliance of the original design, so has done the bare minimum to cater for reproduction in the digital age, nothing more. As a result the logo has got off lightly compared to some of the abominations seen these days. Since one has to look very hard to see the changes it appears to be one of those "Nothing to see here, move along" events (with apologies to Mr Job!)

When one compares its apparent simplicity to the preceding 'Lion and Wheel' heraldic device it must have been a shock revelation to most people, BR employees in particular. Such is the penalty for being way ahead of its time. I became interested in railways at about the same time Swindon Works was outshopping D1030 Western Musketeer with its small hand-painted logos (2/8/66) so I've kind of grown up with it - it was never 'indecisive' or made from barbed wire in my view!😉

• Like 3

An interesting topic along with the London Transport roundel, probably the most instantly recognisable British "trademark" symbols. They need treating with respect and dignity. Those abominations look awful at Wandsworth Town and Alderley Edge. all stations should have the corporate signage, forget all these fancy difficult-to-read typefaces and changing colour every time TOC changes.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The arguments for any change (as opposed to standardising all the mess that has been made of it) don't sound that strong to me, but then I'm not a graphic designer; I can accept that subtleties that would not occur to me might well matter (e.g. producing a slight sense of something being slightly out of place, which perhaps the changes deal with without being noticeable).

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Now, there are various regulations concerning matters that affect people with various disabilities ....... perhaps we need regulations to cover things that only graphic designers can see ??!? 🥴

I don't know if it's a matter of things only they can see. I find that I can often see that something doesn't look quite right, or slightly messy, or out of place, but can't put my finger on why. And sometimes that can make the difference between something looking like a sloppy knock-off and a good, professional job. A good graphics designer may be able to put their finger on it, and do something about it.

Whether or not it's noticeable in the first place varies from person to person; I'm quite sensitive to such things. Others will look at the Alderley Edge totem and wonder what the issue is.

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Whether or not it's noticeable in the first place varies from person to person; I'm quite sensitive to such things. Others will look at the Alderley Edge totem and wonder what the issue is.

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

As I said - somewhere up this thread - I DO find  that fat one unattractive ........... 

You have to recognise this is a subtle comment by railway management. 

That version is entirely appropriate for Alderley Edge, because the residents of millionaires row are also fat b*stards!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2