Prototype locations with good scenic breaks

A couple from my neck of the woods.

The location I'm modelling in P4, South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett line which has a bridge at each end with some complicated track work, all in 18' in 4mm scale.

SP.jpg.e74476eca4dadda16d4ed1843964a9f1.jpg

or, if you prefer a bit of ECML action, the area around New Bridge Street just to the east of Newcastle Central Station.  Also perfect for anyone who has bought the Heljan ES1 as the yard at the bottom was served by those locos.

NBS.jpg.776f807e742d2881a0af9807d17f6ae4.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Glasgow Buchanan Street.  Would take a lot of space if it was done in its heyday, as the goods facilities were extensive.  To do it as it was in the year before closure is very feasible, I drew it out and toyed with the idea of building it once.

Jim

All the way to the tunnel, or just as far as Dobbie’s Loan?

21 hours ago, pH said:

All the way to the tunnel, or just as far as Dobbie’s Loan?

I played about with the 25" OS map and reckoned it could be done as a 25ft by 3ft scenic area 00 gauge layout.  With a bit of compression on platform lengths etc it would look OK at a do-able 16ft long.  Given the variety of haulage that appeared I am surprised is hasn't been done by a club already.

821743213_secondattemptwithoverlay.jpg.9805dd0b66d2516f38fcbae3eef21fb7.jpg

Jim

• Like 4

Northampton Castle Station 

Bridges at both ends, dependent on period trams on one bridge

River one side of station & could make goods yard part of backscene if did not want to model all of Goods Yard

3 through platforms plus bays

Bottom picture should be at top

Screenshot 2023-01-03 182350.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-03 182639.jpg

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Explination of pictures
  • Like 2

luckymucklebackit‘s suggestion of Buchanan Street brings to mind other terminuses (termini?) in the west of Scotland. 

- Princes Pier to the start of the tunnel under Union Street (which I believe has been done by a West of Scotland MRC)

- Gourock, to the start of the long cutting towards Fort Matilda

- Wemyss Bay, to the start of the long cutting just beyond the engine facilities

- Largs, to the Charles Street bridge

All would almost certainly require some compression.

Edited by pH

12 hours ago, pH said:

luckymucklebackit‘s suggestion of Buchanan Street brings to mind other terminuses (termini?) in the west of Scotland. 

- Princes Pier to the start of the tunnel under Union Street (which I believe has been done by a West of Scotland MRC)

- Gourock, to the start of the long cutting towards Fort Matilda

- Wemyss Bay, to the start of the long cutting just beyond the engine facilities

- Largs, to the Charles Street bridge

All would almost certainly require some compression.

One I am surprised that hasn't been done is the stretch through Union Terrace Gardens from Union Street Bridge to Schoolhill Tunnel in Aberdeen.  Today it is just a single track but in the past had an interesting track layout with the unique partially covered turntable 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.3&lat=57.14730&lon=-2.10274&layers=170&b=1

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My 1st thought was half of Nottingham Victoria.
Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been more suggestions of half-a-station.  Tunnel or bridge at one end, whilst scenically building an overall roof straight to the end of the layout, at the same time as curving the tracks, as sharply as your stock will take, out of sight to the fiddle yard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, DavidBird said:

My 1st thought was half of Nottingham Victoria.
Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been more suggestions of half-a-station.  Tunnel or bridge at one end, whilst scenically building an overall roof straight to the end of the layout, at the same time as curving the tracks, as sharply as your stock will take, out of sight to the fiddle yard.

A certain excellent Scottish Layout on this Forum has followed this idea!

Jim

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Three definite on the former Portland branch with others too.

1) Rodwell station, short tunnel one end bridge the other. A passing loop with two platforms.

2) Scenic only the section between Mermaid Bridge and the footbridge over the cutting further north/downhill.

3a/b) Depending on your compression options from the Reforne bridge at north end of Easton Station through the station to the Park Rd bridge or even further to the next bridge. (The other face of Mermaid).

Some other options too over the cutting between Reforne,  Victoria Place (a bridge too) and the stone cliff like blank end of Sheepcroft Sidings.

Winchester has two, at both stations; on a big scale City (probably too big)  and smaller scale Chesil.

Again big, and now being done, Bournemouth Central.

Plenty out there.

Funnily enough I did actually look at something vaguely based on Moreton-in-Marsh a few years ago as being a suitable layout. Obviously much compromised.

A typical GWR mainline station, but with plenty of siding space and goods shed, a branch line platform which could have an autotrain running in and out of, and industrial interest (a creamery).

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/moreton_marsh.htm

Jason

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 21:57, Michael Hodgson said:

Welwyn North Tunnel to Welwyn South Tunnel on the ECML.

I was going to suggest that as well. Elsewhere on the GN suburban lines, Hadley Wood is quite good. Actually I suppose technically King’s Cross itself qualifies, but it’s a bit big.

In terms of narrow gauge, the line emerging from an adit at Aberllefenni slate mine might be quite good (latterly just a single track but I think a bit more interesting originally). There must be other similar mine railways that would also be suitable. For miniature/minimum gauge, I seem to remember some good bits at Moors Valley with well-placed tunnels but can’t quite remember the layout or work it out from aerial views.

What an inspiring topic! I've collected a few ideas on this theme. 

A scenic break concealing a fiddle yard behind is a bonus as it gives you greater operating length. A perfect example is Ramsgate, where the fiddle yard would be concealed behind carriage sidings:

Ramsgate.png

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Like 1