Prototype locations with good scenic breaks

I have a couple of suggestions, just to see if this topic interests anyone.

Lavenham, Suffolk

Lavenham

Scotland Street, Edinburgh

1853 map: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_scotland_street_station.htm#1853_map

1914 Map

image.png.0735804c2b54c60e1f246d553d770ea8.png

View North

Scotland Street Coal Yard, Edinburgh. (Collection of W D Yuill)

View South

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_scotland_street_station_1024.jpg

Edited by Michael Crofts
Got my orientation wrong
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Michael Crofts said:

I have a couple of suggestions, just to see if this topic interests anyone.

Lavenham, Suffolk

Lavenham

Scotland Street, Edinburgh

1853 map: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_scotland_street_station.htm#1853_map

1914 Map

image.png.0735804c2b54c60e1f246d553d770ea8.png

View North

Scotland Street Coal Yard, Edinburgh. (Collection of W D Yuill)

View South

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_scotland_street_station_1024.jpg

You are not the first to like Scotland Street. See Railway Modeller September 1988 for layout.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Space permitting, New Street seems an obvious one. Depending on era, could also be quite a boring one once the majority was built over, so perhaps I’d be tempted to model it up to the ceiling above track only in that instance.

On a more personal note, the idea of modelling Nuneaton Trent valley has always appealed to me, and has been a ‘pie in the sky’ ambition for some time. You’ve got the new (or old) grade separated flyover at one end, and a four lane over bridge the other. Still would need considerable space to model it true to scale, but a good variety of movements along and across the layout, both freight and passenger, and particularly for anyone interested in the WCML. Quite extensive goods yards too in older eras.

(not my photo)

102A5788-8A2D-4F4E-856D-FAE4F3837A85.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I always thought Hunts Cross would make a good layout in either modern or historical guises (changed a lot in modern times). Now has third rail and diesels (with overhead 25KV close by, just past the bridge in the first photo).

Bridges at both ends, long platforms. Was originally a four track mainline on the CLC with GCR/MR/GNR trains, later LNER/LMS joint and had plenty of goods traffic.

You could even legitimately place buses on the bridges as they are on bus routes.

3787214_a9f530ed_original.jpg

5328411_cd6b4a83_original.jpg

3787208_86110bfb_original.jpg

https://www.geograph.org.uk/stuff/list.php?label=Hunts+Cross+Station&gridref=SJ4385

Jason

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A very basic station layout but Rodwell (Weymouth) in a cutting with bridge at one end and very short tunnel at the other. LSWR & GWR joint line, of itself quite rare in reality.

See http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/rodwell/index.shtml#:~:text=Rodwell station opened without ceremony,was forced to shunt back.

A bit bigger - Winchester Chesil - also tunnel one end and over bridge at the other. Even has a hill at the back of the platform at one side with lower lying land to the front.

If you are going very big (Think Retford or Little Bytham) then from ex-LSWR main lines -

Salisbury, Winchester City, Southampton Central, Bournemouth Central & Dorchester South. In all these cases there is either a tunnel & bridge or a bridge at each end for scenic break.

Edited by john new
Grammar change and added Dorchester
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hastings has a tunnel at the western end and a road bridge, rising south to north, at the eastern end.

377 364 Hastings 1 2 2008.jpg

Colas Rail 66845 Hastings Tunnel 4 2 2011.jpg

At St. Leonards Warrior Square the tunnels are at either end of the platforms, but the track layout could be described as boring - two lines, no points!

171 728 St Leonard's Warrior Square 20 7 2007.jpg

Southeastern 375 630 Warrior Square 11 3 2011.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional photos
  • Like 6

Exeter Central has an overbridge at the west (Exeter St Davids end). 

In the very early spell of its  existence the station it was operated as a terminus, and was then known as Exeter Queen Street, with an overbridge at each end.

cheers  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The southern approach to Leicester Midland Station (London Road Junction):

721E5F87-6CD1-4625-B64A-F8BF7BA5CDF7.jpeg.3ad82ca935410067c44d0a9480c81cf9.jpeg

Photos linked from Flickr (not mine)

London Road Junction

I think the second photo below, which shows the ‘scenic break bridges’ to good effect could also appear in the “when the real thing looks like a model” thread.

Leicester Midland May 1983

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Maryland on the GE line, bridges at both ends and retaining walls on both sides so

entirely surrounded by higher level roads  with a four track electrified main line with plenty of freight. 

Ipswich…  tunnel at one end yards from the platform, London Road bridge at the other - or Hadleigh Road bridge if you wanted to model East Suffolk Junction and the ballast depot too. (That said, the area of the ballast depot and East Suffolk jn between the two bridges would make a great layout itself.)

Andi

• Like 4

Greenock West. Tunnel at the west end of the platforms, deep rock and masonry cutting leading to a tunnel on the east end, and a goods yard to the north in steam days:

92570375-A588-4C2A-BEE2-EEEC41940844.jpeg.40dbf7577e33f7d4a483412f4273cdaa.jpeg

• Like 4

Plaistow on the old LTSR line, between the road overbridge (with station building and a bus/trolleybus/tram* route) at the Eastern end and the Northern Outfall sewer at the other end. Go back to the 1950s and there are yards both sides of the four running lines. There's still a bay platform on the LT side.

*depending on date

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2

It might be cheating to propose locations where there was an excellent scenic break at one end but one would need to invent something for the other end, like Lasswade for example:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/l/lasswade/lasswade(harden_c1930s)old3.jpg

http://disused-stations.org.uk/l/lasswade/index.shtml

Edited by Michael Crofts

I always thought that the Mersey Railway station at Birkenhead Central would fit the bill nicely for this. Tunnels at both ends (along with an overbridge near one of them), terraced houses on one side, and a gas works on the other. Add in two maintenance sheds, a bay, small turntable, and to top it off so to speak, a large steam shed on top. It's on a gentle curve too.

Wouldn't have to be electrified either if set in a rule 1 world!

BirkCentral1928Map.jpg

My photo c.1975 by which time one of the maintenace sheds (on the kick-back, foreground) had been demolished:

1579195119_CentralStation.jpg.24a1c1928c0e7642214feb8414819300.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
Added photo
  • Like 10

Here's my favourite, Fallowfield (of the Fallowfield Loop line).

Station acts as a scenic block at one end, Ladybarn Lane at the other.  Nice little goods yard, double track mainline all in a cutting - GC services from Liverpool and Manchester Central to the east over Woodhead and plenty of freight traffic.

image.png.23f0c9b41d8e4e65717960ca992ee95f.png

• Like 6