Prototype locations with good scenic breaks

• RMweb Premium

Plymouth had a couple.

Friary had a great bridge to create a scenic break.

Devonport Kings road had a tunnel at one end and a bridge at the other. Paradise road forms a nice back scene break point for the whole layout as well. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How about Lawrence Hill in Bristol. Its 900 ft roughly between the railway bridge crossing the line and the street at the station end. Been mulling this over as that length would fit in a 12*6 shed nicely if put on a curve with the question being how much of the yard could I include. The yard in the late 70s and 80s seemed fairly busy.

This seems to be a useful site as well - http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Lawrence_Hill

1741708058_LawrenceHill.jpg.8ff1246dad2877ae544c9e12b8d791d3.jpg

• Like 2

OK, so this topic seems to be of interest 👍

Tunnels are the ideal scenic break and bridges are almost as good, buses or no buses.

How about a different approach, by adjusting the point of view?

Bodmin & Wenford branch - track curving out of sight behind trees.

Photo by Sid Sponheimer

Probably wouldn't work looking straight down from above. And it certainly wouldn't look right with a Pacific and 13 on.

image.png.9f64fdf2d7133a9ec065b690cbc0015a.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

sj005806.jpg.8a0a1f6e21ca06dbe1a4163a83ab4253.jpg

Hard to beat good old Walsall with nearly half of the station 'conveniently' buried under a shopping centre from late 1978 onwards.  I seem to be the victim of the dreaded RMWeb red mist on these greyscale image files, but you get the idea.

sj015128.jpg.e3b7ac29cedcce2aebc925f16b370c45.jpg

Beyond the station trains emerge from under an equally modellogenic multi-storey car park scenic break!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

OK, so this topic seems to be of interest 👍

Tunnels are the ideal scenic break and bridges are almost as good, buses or no buses.

How about a different approach, by adjusting the point of view?

Bodmin & Wenford branch - track curving out of sight behind trees.

Photo by Sid Sponheimer

Probably wouldn't work looking straight down from above. And it certainly wouldn't look right with a Pacific and 13 on.

image.png.9f64fdf2d7133a9ec065b690cbc0015a.png

Would work side on, if you have a thick set of trees to act as the scenic break - train of of the trees, windy windy, train back into more trees.  The scenic part could have less or no trees to the foreground so you see the wood trains for the trees.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Would work side on, if you have a thick set of trees to act as the scenic break - train of of the trees, windy windy, train back into more trees.  The scenic part could have less or no trees to the foreground so you see the wood trains for the trees.

That's what I'm planning to do with my upcoming micro-layout based on Helland.  There will be thick stands of trees at both ends to hide the disappearance through the backscene.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m surprised nobody mentioned The Circle Line, which had oodles of these before many were built over.

Of them all, I’ll nominate Kings Cross original station, which spanned the Met and Widened Lines, and I think was at its best either just before or just after electrification of the Met. The goods train service was impressively intense, let alone a mix of Met, GWR, Midland, GNR, SER and goodness knows what else in terms of passenger trains.

Here it is when it was dual gauge.

52725BEF-C02D-46F7-BFE0-B11CF5D4E7C5.jpeg.62eb5d73d8337e8a8a70dc48e7908a6a.jpeg

Here we can see a train on the York Way Curve f from the GNR sneaking into view on the RHS.

9569D723-BD5A-4B77-A942-32D4B99156B1.jpeg.c1b52c0bfb5df0b5d74ba3bb18f064e9.jpeg

Stairways designed by Mister Escher, I think.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest Wirksworth as a possibility. A terminating branch line off the main Midland line it has bridges at each end. Station, Goods shed and engine shed. The lines continue through the station to exchange sidings with several quarries, some had private small locos. A couple of quarry feeder lines connected directly at the station yard including one through a tunnel. One quarry feeder later used an overhead conveyor to a loading dock. A theoretical link (never finally implemented) to the Cromford and High Peak Railway further up the hill. It could be operated with LMS stock, BR  steam and BR diesels. As a test track for Derby Works it saw a whole range of stock including the Blue Pullmans and continues to do so as a heritage railway of course. Endless interpretations if you are liberal and want flexibility of operation.

wirksworth station.jpg

• Like 3