Hornby A Model World 2023

Hroth

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Also useful for the ad-breaks.

If there's anything I'll even consider watching on the commercial channels, I record them so I can skip the ads.  Its painful trying to remember when you're watching live that you can't skip, and the catch up services disable fast forwarding through ads, so then I'm reduced to muting the sound, though the visuals are still painful.

Also up coming editions of love Island...naked atraction and all the other mindless tosh peddled to numb the brain...yep defo agree with you adds get mute treatment it drives Mrs Bradford buffer bonkers.... it drives me bonkers if I made a mistake and allowed Mrs bradfordbuffer the use of the remote...and the mute isn't used....🤨

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ardbealach said:

How about "It's not a model - it's an investment!"  (Alisdair)

Who can forget "detail, detail, detail"?

Probably best if I say no more - after all, I wouldn't want anyone to refer to "all the right details ...".

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Who can forget "detail, detail, detail"?

Probably best if I say no more - after all, I wouldn't want anyone to refer to "all the right details ...".

Oh go on...

"... but not necessarily in the right order!"

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Breaking news.  a study of 'The Radio Times' (yes, it still existsand we buy iy and y use it) reveals that The Hornby Show is on at the same time as 'the quiz hour' on BBC2.  It's more than my job's life's worth to deny SWMBO and daughter (and myself) the erudite pleasure of 'Only Connect' and 'University Challenge'.  

As we don't havea 5 year old in the house working the video recorder is an even greater challenge than 'Only Connect' I will no doubt be reduced to watching the more than likely repeat of The Hornby Show (later in the week - I shall consult 'The Radio Times' to see what offers.  This des of course mean that I will no doubt look rather dumb as the new SK catchphrase ('size doesn't matter'??) gets underway and becomes the talk of the town, and RMweb.  Have a good evening folks and think of me shouting at some of the teams on 'University Challenge' if there is another question about railway junctions wjicj tests their brainpower to the utmost and gets me shouting at the telly.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Breaking news.  a study of 'The Radio Times' (yes, it still existsand we buy iy and y use it) reveals that The Hornby Show is on at the same time as 'the quiz hour' on BBC2.  It's more than my job's life's worth to deny SWMBO and daughter (and myself) the erudite pleasure of 'Only Connect' and 'University Challenge'.  

As we don't havea 5 year old in the house working the video recorder is an even greater challenge than 'Only Connect' I will no doubt be reduced to watching the more than likely repeat of The Hornby Show (later in the week - I shall consult 'The Radio Times' to see what offers.  This des of course mean that I will no doubt look rather dumb as the new SK catchphrase ('size doesn't matter'??) gets underway and becomes the talk of the town, and RMweb.  Have a good evening folks and think of me shouting at some of the teams on 'University Challenge' if there is another question about railway junctions wjicj tests their brainpower to the utmost and gets me shouting at the telly.

You should be able to watch it on your PC, tablet or whatever, see here: Ways to Watch - UKTV Play

Only Connect and University Challenge should be available immediately after broadcast on the BBC iPlayer.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
Forget RMWeb is not clever enough to recognise links...
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Mike

I believe there is a 'Yesterday+1' channel (ie runs one hour later). Might help?

Brian

I've never seen the Yesterday+1 channel actually working!  The listing at Freeview 74 currently says "06:00-04:00 Yesterday +1 is back at 5am"...

As PoA notes above, UKTV Play is a better option, either on a tablet/computer or using something like a NowTV box/dongle.

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I quite enjoy UC, especially the alumni series over Christmas, where I found I did quite well against the teams both on starters and supplimentaries. I suppose its more difficult under studio conditions!  On the other hand, Only Connect is just weird...

Are those sponge bricks still available? They're better for throwing at the telly than shouting and cursing yourself hoarse!

In previous years, the Radio Times was always a Christmas indulgence, this year the price was identical to a model railway magazine so I reluctantly replaced it for a far cheaper alternative listings mag.  Must say the festive viewing options were rather poor...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It could be worse. At least they are not insisting on watching "H & M" interviews!  Even I'm not safe in France as we have a special at 11pm on the biggest TV channel over here. Oh why can't they show "Hornby A model world" instead?

Nah, I will go to bed early as I need to be up by 7am to see a special announcement and think about more important things like Mk 3 coaches... an L&M whatever.... a new livery for a N15.... etc.

• Friendly/supportive 2

To be fair, models lose less value, or even gain it, compared to most other consumer stuff.  Pretty impressive for something stamped from plastic in a Chinese foundry.  I wouldn't call them investments as such, but they are better than toys.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

To be fair, models lose less value, or even gain it, compared to most other consumer stuff.  Pretty impressive for something stamped from plastic in a Chinese foundry.  I wouldn't call them investments as such, but they are better than toys.

This is particularly true for anything brought before - say - 2015.

There are 3 main factors influencing this.

1/ a popular all new item which is sold out, but is the must have fashion of the moment. This can boost price briefly to a really high value ( - this has always existed).

2/ the removal of flea bays "pay a fee even if not sold". People can now ask for high sums (based on 1) for years well above market value waiting for someone to take the bait

3/ The fact that all new items have increase drastically over the past few years is in turn pulling the price of second hand ones up

Secondhand is now not far below "all new" even though the latter has better warranty (although spares may not always be easy to get).

Right now, it is more of a second hand sellers market which was the complete opposite prior - say - 2012 when all new items were a 1/3rd of today's prices.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Must say the festive viewing options were rather poor...

These days, they generally seem to be - especially around bank holidays - and as for the "festive turkeys" recently on offer, the less said the better.

I reckon I'd prefer wall-to-wall repeats of Morecambe and Wise. Meanwhile, returning to the Hornby Show ... .

1 minute ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I reckon I'd prefer wall-to-wall repeats of Morecambe and Wise. Meanwhile, returning to the Hornby Show ... .

Reminds me of another M&W Christmas special, with cameos provided by previous guests, including Andre Previn standing at the back of a double decker, "I appeared on the Morecambe and Wise Show. Look what happened to me...."

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

At last!

I'll be the originator of a shut-down topic!!!

Anyhow, before the close-down, Hornby have just issued a new email

------

Series 2 of Hornby: A Model World is here!

It’s Monday, which means the first episode of Hornby: A Model World is almost here!

Hornby Development and Marketing Director Simon Kohler has had a radical idea, using the iconic locomotive Flying Scotsman as the spearhead of a brand new range, two thirds the size of the ubiquitous Double-O. This Table Top (TT) scale hasn’t been produced in the UK for over 50 years and even for seasoned designers, poses significant engineering challenges. Everything must be scaled down 120 times from real life, rendering some features almost invisible to the naked eye, or too small to even mould.

There’s also a huge task on minuscule proportions for repairs “Magician” Jon as he performs the fiddliest of fixes on two tiny Rocket locomotive models. Plus enthusiast Kathy Millatt is shrinking a Welsh slate mine down to create a new micro layout, contending with buildings that are too big, locos that don’t work and the bane of her life, a hot glue gun.

Set your alarms in preparation for episode one tonight at 8pm on Yesterday Channel and catch-up on UKTV Play here!

------

Fill yer boots.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

At some point this evening I think we'll close this topic off and create a fresh one for the first episode airing.

Sounds like a good call.

When even I am referring to Morecambe and Wise stuff from 40 or 50 years back (and saying how much I liked M&W / that their repeats are more watchable than a lot of the "festive" viewing), this thread has probably just about run its course.

As for the Hornby Show, I suspect that some of us might be watching just so we can see what "cheap to make gimmicks" they're thinking of loading into basically RailRoad models in the hope of "jacking up" the price.

I've never been a gambler - if I were, I would have guessed at piezoelectric nebuliser elements (essentially a PXE disk - driven by an oscillator - and resting on a damp sponge) under the chimneys of "kettles" - real water vapour - and "only" an extra hundred quid ... !

I think I'll stick with the base models, thank you - I don't want to pay extra for gimmicks I don't want.

Anyway, as a DEMU member, I'm rather more interested in "Diesel & electric" - you don't tend to get much steam from postwar multiple units ... .

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

The A1 locomotive in the TT range isn't Flying Scotsman, whatever fevered dreams SK might have had.  Wasn't Hornby only licensed to use its name and image in OO, or something? 

What's this then? https://uk.hornby.com/products/lner-class-a1-4-6-2-4472-flying-scotsman-era-3-tt3004m

It will be because a licence fee would have been due to the rights holders based on the full value of the set and if you're trying to keep the price down then it makes sense to substitute it with similar. That's why it's The Scotsman set and not The Flying Scotsman.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

In previous years, the Radio Times was always a Christmas indulgence, this year the price was identical to a model railway magazine so I reluctantly replaced it for a far cheaper alternative listings mag.  Must say the festive viewing options were rather poor...

I spent the Christmas period with my sister - they always had Radio Times all year, and my BiL always seemed to spend half his time with his nose in it and setting the recorder etc - and he's not exactly great company regarding conversation - same as his brother and their dad...

This year, I bought a Daily Wail on Christmas Eve as it has a good TV supplement for the week ahead (I was going home on the Tuesday, so wanted it at home, to use it to catch up on what I missed over Christmas).

I could hardly not notice the obvious absence of their Radio Times, either pride of place on the coffee table, or my BiL with his nose in it.  Unfortunately, my BiL found my TV supplement and then spent half his time with his nose in it and setting the recorder etc...

I made sure I didn't forget to bring it home with me...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

VCM vs SK? Absolutely no contest!

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

VCM vs SK? Absolutely no contest!

I'd imagine old Si would even loose out in a contest of knowing what was important to the market he purports to serve!

Imagine discovering that VCM was a secret modeller! Mind, having seen her performance on Taskmaster, I don't think the practical aspects would be quite up her street!

I'll have a watch, it's more interesting for the other aspects of the company to be honest, the Airfix segments last series were particularly good.

Cheers

J

• Like 1