Hornby A Model World 2023

Hroth

1 hour ago, E100 said:

Is there a place to watch the trailer?

Yesterday and related TV channels such as Dave have been showing it.

It might be on the UKTV website. The old episodes are.

You might have to set up an account, but you don't get bombarded with junk emails. I just set it up and stayed logged in as it has all the old comedy on it.

Jason

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Why would they need a new mould for the old 0-4-0 chassis though? They still seem to be making stuff from all the old moulds (CR Pug, GWR 101, King George V, Class 06, Bagnall diesel, the ex-clockwork Thomas, and now the unbranded Percy). Since they're aimed at an audience unconcerned with prototype accuracy, I don't see what a new model on the chassis would offer...

Maybe they are thinking some of the older ones are past their sell by date.

101 came out in 1978 ISTR. The Caley tank was a couple of years after.

Maybe not for us, but they do still seem to sell.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I’m waiting for the scene where they decided that in order to reduce the prices of locomotives theyve decided to offer cut price models by cutting the locos in half.

You can then by a locomotive in installments.

This leads to a new range and they leap off in a van to a yard in Wales full of locomotive cabs and start scanning them.

Unfortunately due to delays they dont have all parts in stock at once, so you can build your own locomotive using multiple different body parts and joining them together with a transfer to hold it tight.

The first EP was made by joining two 37 cabs, and a D6100 body. Someone dropped it, so they had a Eureka moment putting it back together and said oh maybe we call this one “Fell”.

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 21/12/2022 at 13:06, eldomtom2 said:

Why would they need a new mould for the old 0-4-0 chassis though? They still seem to be making stuff from all the old moulds (CR Pug, GWR 101, King George V, Class 06, Bagnall diesel, the ex-clockwork Thomas, and now the unbranded Percy). Since they're aimed at an audience unconcerned with prototype accuracy, I don't see what a new model on the chassis would offer...

Some of those listed are probably on their second or third sets of replacement tooling, so they might as well produce something else to fit the generic chassis (which actually isn't as bad as it used to be)....

• Agree 1

A clockwork set would be interesting.....

Dockmaster.jpg.d1599c40643ba3fa4644a92a6d5d136b.jpg

For those of an older disposition, this would be a similar present under the tree...

(though it looks like the open wagon has been replaced, sticks out like a sore thumb!!!)

• Like 3

On 22/12/2022 at 20:26, Great Eastern Lady said:

Could this be making a comeback, i remember getting something very similar for Christmas when i was about 8 or 9

76E8B335-4932-436B-A591-7818385EE9A4.jpeg

This set R776 Clockwork Set was produced between 1988 and 1994. It still amazes me, that quite often this set still to this very day, appears on a well known  auction site in new condition. My primary and infants school had this set. It was used every May for the annual School Fête. The oval of track was sellotaped onto coloured sugar paper, which was attached to an ancient wooden oval round foldable table. Beautifully hand drawn in felt tip coloured pen were face view characters from Thomas and Friends, Thomas, Annie and Clarabel, Edward, Henry Gordon, James, Percy ,Toby and the Troublesoom Trucks. Whoever drew them they looked identical to the TV Series. I think it coast 10 pence or something this is from memory 1994 until the late 1990s I think. There were two of each of the cards two for whoever the players had chosen and the corresponding characters were all placed along the center of the oval of track. Whichever card the locomotive 🚂 landed on the winner would receive the coins. I did ask why the wagons were not coupled to the locomotive. Because it would take too long for it as a train to stop. Killjoys! I even remember where it was stored throughout the rest of the year at the far end of the school sites. This would have been circa 1994. it was in the nursery store shed where all the go karts and other equipment were kept. I could see the greenbox edge of the Hornby Railways Clockwork Set which seemed to be a mile high! 

Edit: Apologies I forgot to mention all of the cards featuring characters from Thomas and Friends, they were either double sided with sticky-back-plasic or given their age they could have been laminated. As when I was 5 1996 I made my mum a keyring on an ancient Acorn School PC Which was laminated but over the years it became like sticky-back-plastic.

For a split second I thought this was an accidental leak that they are coming back! On a serious note I would love to see Hornby revive the fantastic, beautiful colourful Continental Puffing Billy 0-4-0 locomotive clockwork sets, with wagons and in retro packaging with even retro cardboard cut out and fold people stations signals farm animals etc I would leave this untouched  I would definitely buy one! 

Edited by RyanN91
Forgotten detail about the Thomas and friends cards laminated or sticky-back-plastic and I'd love to see Clockwork sets again!
  • Like 2

I think retro clockwork sets are improbable, the mechanism would be too costly to provide nowadays.  The nearest option would be a battery loco, with an AA cell located in the loco boiler.

But it wouldn't be the same...  🥴

On 22/12/2022 at 16:15, 298 said:

Some of those listed are probably on their second or third sets of replacement tooling, so they might as well produce something else to fit the generic chassis (which actually isn't as bad as it used to be)....

Can we have a Y4 then? 😇 

5x as many as KGV and 101....

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Hornby have just emailed the Faithful* that HAMW2 is to appear on our screens in Ten Days Time!!!

Hurrah!

* ie those who Hornby have the email address for...

So I'll get it at 3AM then.....

They do seem to do them all personally rather than just send them out immediately, probably in alphabetical order.

Zinedine Zinade and Oleksandr Zinchenko are waiting patiently. Must be used to it by now!

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

So I'll get it at 3AM then.....

They do seem to do them all personally rather than just send them out immediately, probably in alphabetical order.

Zinedine Zinade and Oleksandr Zinchenko are waiting patiently. Must be used to it by now!

If its any help, I'm towards the middle of the alphabet...

On 30/12/2022 at 14:23, Steamport Southport said:

I'm near the front. No idea how they work it, but there must be thousands signed up for email alerts.

Got one just after 2200 Hrs.  Someone's working late.

Jason

Even when I retired in 2011 it was possible to send out emails to all on a list at a prescribed time and let the software do the rest.  It could have been set up during office hours before Christmas.  All it needs is someone to press a key or two to add in the new recipients to the contact list sometime during office hours between Christmas and New Year, set a time from a drop down list and off goes the latest alert at 00.01 on New Years Day (for example).

Hornby were definitely working on December 30th when I rang them about the missing wheelset on my "Blink Bonny" that had just been delivered.

Les

• Like 1