Hornby A Model World 2023

Hroth

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The episode on 24th January (3rd) should be a good one…

Tim

Define good ?

A live recording of a “signal box” interview episode good ?

or

“theyve got that shade of green dead accurate” good ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

Define good ?

A live recording of a “signal box” interview episode good ?

or

“theyve got that shade of green dead accurate” good ?

I am rather hoping for 'there's more to model railways than just 00 gauge/4mm scale' good.

I was mildly peeved during the first series' Eddie Izzard episode that no mention was made of the fact that Bexhill Winter Wartime Railway featured was in N.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

I am rather hoping for 'there's more to model railways than just 00 gauge/4mm scale' good.

I was mildly peeved during the first series' Eddie Izzard episode that no mention was made of the fact that Bexhill Winter Wartime Railway featured was in N.

cheers

Ben A.

Careful what you wish for, they may settle for meeting you halfway between N and OO.

😀

it’ll just confuse the Thomas The Tank fans, who think TT is something else.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
5 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The episode on 24th January (3rd) should be a good one…

On close inspection I think you may be right.

image.png

Horse lobotomies; whatever next?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Just before the end of the episode there's a howler followed by a headscratcher; more of that in Episode 2.

The discovery that Simon's plans for a larger scale offering of 1:20 has been misquoted in the specifications and these odd tiny EPs have turned up at 1:120 scale.

Much headscratching because they are not quite 4mm scale and bigger than N, before Simon muses, it's almost like TT scale, in fact our cousins in Europe actually use this scale and Tillig even have some track.  "It's a gamble, but....."

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Oh Your joking !!!! 

Not another scale…

Oh for Simons sake, I cant, no i cant  stand this..

theres just tooooooo many scales going on…

whyyyyy does he have to do it ?

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

This will be in Episode 1 - The iconic Locomotive Flying Scotsman is scaled down 120 times from real life, rendering some features almost invisible to the naked eye, or too small to even mould.

Episode 2 - Young designer Prad has just 30 days to reinvent the model railway starter kit, while musician and host Jools Holland reveals his incredible 45-foot layout hidden away in his loft.

• Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Young designer Prad has just 30 days to reinvent the model railway starter kit

Could this possibly be that years after selling their own, and the Kitmaster, moulds to Dapol Hornby / Airfix are going to re enter this market? Perhaps in TT:120

It would explain the B4 in the trailer - although I can't see the prominent couplings(?) being on a static plastic these days, even though ones were provided on the old Airfix Pug kit.

Maybe a TT set for e.g. Argos? If so, disappointing for me, but it would at least offer a new 0-4-0 chassis for NG...

47 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The first edition aside from the TT Flying Scotsman has fiddly repairs to two Rockets -will they admit its an appalling design that should never have been  put into production?

Rocket is probably the best stab at making a model of a four and a half ton steam loco and an indication why none of its Rainhill competitors have been attempted, nor Locomotion No 1 for that matter.  That the next "dawn of steam" prototype attempted has been "Lion" speaks volumes, literally.

And the prospect of yet another load of gush about Flying Scotsman* is already setting my teeth on edge, and the programme hasn't been broadcast yet!

* In whatever scale

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Rocket is probably the best stab at making a model of a four and a half ton steam loco

Sat in a display case yes but the appalling not fit for purpose loco tender electrical connection should never have seen the light of day. And there is the overly risky arrangement of the body holding the driving wheels in place and hence correctly meshing the gears held all togther by a single tiny thread screw,

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 03/01/2023 at 14:28, Revolution Ben said:

cheers

Ben A.

Ben, I think we are not an N'dangered species, rather one that should be N'couraged!

I do like to see the background stuff that goes on and it is good to see people being enthusiastic about their 'dream job'.  Looking forward to watching it but it would be nice for a similar show with wider appeal, including other gauges, range of topics (track, scenics, etc.) but I can also see it probably rides a little on the general public being aware of Hornby in not only railways but the other fields, e.g. Airfix, to make the show attractive to a wider audience. 

Personally, being an engineer, I would like to see more technical content, such as molding processes, printing techniques and for railways at least, digital technologies that go into all sorts of models... albeit without revealing too much to competitors!

It does gives me something to enjoy watching after a hard day's work though, so looking forward to watching tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

This will be in Episode 1 - The iconic Locomotive Flying Scotsman is scaled down 120 times from real life, rendering some features almost invisible to the naked eye, or too small to even mould.

Episode 2 - Young designer Prad has just 30 days to reinvent the model railway starter kit, while musician and host Jools Holland reveals his incredible 45-foot layout hidden away in his loft.

Thanks for the warning on Ep.1.🤢

Will record and watch later with finger hovering over F.Fwd button. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Ben, I think we are not an N'dangered species, rather one that should be N'couraged!

I do like to see the background stuff that goes on and it is good to see people being enthusiastic about their 'dream job'.  Looking forward to watching it but it would be nice for a similar show with wider appeal, including other gauges, range of topics (track, scenics, etc.) but I can also see it probably rides a little on the general public being aware of Hornby in not only railways but the other fields, e.g. Airfix, to make the show attractive to a wider audience. 

Personally, being an engineer, I would like to see more technical content, such as molding processes, printing techniques and for railways at least, digital technologies that go into all sorts of models... albeit without revealing too much to competitors!

It does gives me something to enjoy watching after a hard day's work though, so looking forward to watching tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ixion.

No budget to fly to China to see that sort of stuff?

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Will record and watch later with finger hovering over F.Fwd button. 

Also useful for the ad-breaks.

If there's anything I'll even consider watching on the commercial channels, I record them so I can skip the ads.  Its painful trying to remember when you're watching live that you can't skip, and the catch up services disable fast forwarding through ads, so then I'm reduced to muting the sound, though the visuals are still painful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2023 at 16:20, AY Mod said:

So what's Simon's catchphrase for this series? It's too early to tell but it may be "it's a gamble".

36 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

I didn’t have a catchphrase for series 1 let alone this one………😉😂

30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

My guess

”This is not just a flash in the pan”.

Well, it's either that or pure Morecambe and Wise: "What do you think of it so far? ..."

OK - perhaps not ... .

• Funny 5