Four way Junction layout

Baldwin30762

Hi Guys I am trying to get some inspiration for a country four route junction station                              A                         B

STATION

C                         D

Trains go from A to B or A to D, Trains also go from C to B and C to D they can also go in reverse as well B to A or B to C and D to A and D to C.

The concept is that the main line runs from A to D and there are two branch line both run by different companies so in total there would be three different Railway companies serving the station.

So the question is can anyone suggest a prototype junction station in the middle of no where to be honest?

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Crewe was a Junction in the middle of nowhere when they built it.  Swindon still is.

If it's got to be a 4-way junction, how about Melton Constable, heart of the M&GNJR?

Or how about Bristol Parkway, with the NE/SW lines cnnecting with the S Wales Main Line, but nowhere near the centre of Bristle?

Tamworth has four directions - albeit at different levels, originally considered a High Level station above Low Level.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lewes on LBSC. These days it's much simplified. Trains to and from Haywards Heath (London to Brighton Main Line) and Brighton with trains From and to Eastbourne/Hastings,  Newhaven/ Seaford branch and East Grinstead (what is now the Bluebelle line).  Quite a busy station.

An interesting station layout with the station forming a triangle to the West of the junctions as opposed to between them! There was also once a good loop that passed under the east Grinstead line which served a reasonable sized goods yard on the River Ouse.

I used the station many times and on occasion would take the Eastbourne train down from Victoria and change for Brighton.

Worth looking at even if the plan is a bit too ambitious. Lewes is an interesting station, one of my favorites.  

lewes1898.jpg.c4159a6e4fa8b8f6d3e211ee474dc449.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Lewes on LBSC. These days it's much simplified. Trains to and from Haywards Heath (London to Brighton Main Line) and Brighton with trains From and to Eastbourne/Hastings,  Newhaven/ Seaford branch and East Grinstead (what is now the Bluebelle line).  Quite a busy station.

An interesting station layout with the station forming a triangle to the West of the junctions as opposed to between them! There was also once a good loop that passed under the east Grinstead line which served a reasonable sized goods yard on the River Ouse.

I used the station many times and on occasion would take the Eastbourne train down from Victoria and change for Brighton.

Worth looking at even if the plan is a bit too ambitious. Lewes is an interesting station, one of my favorites.  

lewes1898.jpg.c4159a6e4fa8b8f6d3e211ee474dc449.jpg

If you need to see the design on the ground, this album will give you a fair idea of its current appearance - 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, you all know what I'm going to say, so I'll say it; Tondu.  4 routes at the main junction, a triangle, and two more junctions (Brynmenyn and Bryncethin) within sight. It's actually the hub for 6 routes, though one (Hendreforgan/Gilfach Goch) was closed in 1930.  3 out of the main 4 are still used, as part of the Bridgend-Maesteg line and the diversionary Ogmore Vale Extension route to Margam.

7 routes really; Bridgend, Porthcawl, OVE, Llynfi Valley/Abergwynfi, Blaengarw, Nantymoel, and Gilfach Goch.  Tondu isn't quite the middle of nowhere, but it only barely qualifies as 'somewhere'  in non-railway terms.

Caerphilly was a 4-way, with the main Cardiff-Rhymni line, the 'Watford' line which connected to Penrhos, and the Brecon & Merthyr branch from Machen.  At Penrhos, only a mile to the west, there was a further 3-way accessing the Taff Vale at Walnut Tree Jc down the Penrhos incline, the Barry's Llanbradach branch that crossed the Walnut Tree Viaduct, and the Pontypridd, Caerphilly, and Newport line up the easterns side of the Taff Valley to access Pontypridd by a viaduct over the river directly to the south of Pontypridd Station.  As the Rhondda and Taff lines of the TVR split directly to the north of this station, Pontypridd was a 4-way as well.  Caerphilly and Ponty are definitely 'somewheres', though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

If you could find a 1950’s track layout before it was remodelled for O/H electrification, Barking LTSR station was a very interesting 4-way junction with the added bonus of the District Line underground route as well.

One of the best resources for London railway maps, that I have been shown recently is, The Underground Map. It has dated layers, so you can see Barking in 1950 for example. https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=37&zoom=16&annum=1950

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not exactly the middle of nowhere but definitely, and obviously, a one horse town.   (I know - I worked there for the better part of 4 years.)

Did the residents pinch the horse from Bratton? 😋

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'd discounted Paddock Wood as A can go to B, C or D - and B, C or D can go to A - but B can't go to C or D, C can't go to B or D and D can't go to B or C ........ er .. without reversal  ! 😕

I believe down passenger trains also had to reverse (twice) to access the Hawkhurst line as well, but you''re right, it probably does not quite fit because both branches join in the same direction.

7 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

One of the best resources for London railway maps, that I have been shown recently is, The Underground Map. It has dated layers, so you can see Barking in 1950 for example. https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=37&zoom=16&annum=1950

Unfortunately the 1950 map shows the layout at Barking after the massive remodelling that took place around the mid-50’s prior to electrification of the LTSR route. Before that time there was a very complex junction at the Southend/Tilbury side of the station whereby trains from Forest Gate had to cross both the Underground lines and Southend lines to access the route to Tilbury. There was also a very large signal box at this position.

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried Melton Constable? Admittedly it was all run by the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, but the track plan

may be suitable and with a little modellers licence, it could be different companies. There were also plenty of rail connected

facilities, including goods yard, engine shed and works. And, if you look on a map it`s definitely in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by nigb55009