Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How well does your partner know your modelling habits and preferences?

Kris

• RMweb Premium

A few days ago my wife said to me,

"I never know what to get you for Christmas or your Birthday". "I know you like trains but I don't know what type". 

This got me thinking, just how well does your partner know your modelling habits and preferences? Obviously some will be very uninterested and others will be very involved. I think you can guess the end that my wife falls.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

She doesn't buy me trains; I don't buy her clothes. Sensible.

Vision just popped up! Model railway exhibition, male show-goer examining a model on a trade stand, turns to another random male browser and asks the imortal question: 'Does my bottom look big in this?' 🤓

• Funny 6

Reminds me of some years back whilst I was still with the Mk1 wife.

One Christmas I was given the 'Harry Potter' locomotive by the Mk1 Mother-in-law, to go with the Hogwarts coach that I had previously been given.  The coach I gratefully accepted because it was close enough to the Midland maroon to pass casual inspection, but what to do about the locomotive???

It took me a full day to summon up the courage to ask if I could swap it for something else.  Fortunately, there was no offence and Hornby were very happy to swap it for a King class locomotive.

Moving forwards to the Mk2 wife. I think she was very pleased when I named one of my Pullman cars after her. I had discovered that a real car did bear her name. But no, she does not buy me any railway items, which is probably for the best.

• Like 3

My wife and adult children know very little. But they do know that the stuff on my Christmas list is probably the stuff that I want.

Alternatively my wife says "buy what you want and I'll wrap it up for you", which is a bit boring really.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

She knows nothing about, or has any interest in, my model railway.

I know nothing about, or have any interest in, Emmerdale Farm or Coronation Street.

It works for us.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

My beloved knows a lot more about this hobby than I give her credit for. She’s not a hobbyist, nor a train enthusiast by any stretch, but over the years enough passing interest has lead her to understand things somewhat more than I assumed she did.

Regarding gifts, she generally picks from a list that I give her (and the opposite is also true), I don’t know exactly what it is I’m getting, but I do know it’s definitely something I would want, it works quite well.

• Like 1

My family (and hers) are under strict instructions not to buy me anything I can't eat. Buying me nothing at all is also ok. That way our house isn't full of remaindered copies of Every Boy's Book of Trains or whatever cobblers Paul Atterbury has recycled this year (how many coffee tables can one reasonably be expected to own?). 

This year she's bought me the Hornby mag brake tender. As in, I ordered it and handed it over for wrapping once it arrived. A reciprocal arrangement exists  involving Lush.  

• Like 5

My partner actually went to buy me an etched brass coach kit from a well known 7mm manufacturer and he managed to work out that I needed disc wheels rather the earlier spoked ones, seemingly from their conversation about our recent holiday to Seahouses.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

A reciprocal arrangement exists  involving Lush.  

I share this same arrangement.

This year, (way back in November, he says very smugly), as I was passing anyway, I decided to actually enter one of their shops, armed with a shopping list of lotions, potions, and those ‘bath bombs’ that resemble a mento being dropped into a bottle of diet cola.

Let’s just say I hastily left a few moments later with what felt like the beginnings of a respiratory complication.

I don’t mean to sound pretentious, the many aromas in isolation were mostly lovely, but the combined clout of all of them was truly a force to behold!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

My wife has lists on her ipad of the many ideas she has been given through the year from us all, usually 10 items each. That way we all get something we want, but it's 1 in 10 what it is! So it's still a nice surprise. (She starts stockpiling from April.....)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, 33C said:

My wife has lists on her ipad of the many ideas she has been given through the year from us all, usually 10 items each. That way we all get something we want, but it's 1 in 10 what it is! So it's still a nice surprise. (She starts stockpiling from April.....)

Late starter eh? 🤪

My mum starts the first day after everything is over!

Especially looking for the bargains like LEGO and superhero stuff for the little ones that end up being heavily discounted as they want the shelf space. They do for Birthdays as well.

Personally I wouldn't want a partner to buy me train related things, I would prefer them to get me gig tickets or something similar I want to go to instead. Then you can make a day/night out of it.

Jason

• Like 1

On my list last year :- Trade packs of..

Mr.Muscle oven cleaner

Primer        grey

"             red oxide

"             matt white

Matt and satin black

"       "       "    white

Scalpel blades

Superglue

Plasticard

Several, Airfix, vintage classics

Greenstuff tubing

Got the lot! Including the funny looks.......🤪

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 33C said:

On my list last year :- Trade packs of..

Mr.Muscle oven cleaner

Primer        grey

"             red oxide

"             matt white

Matt and satin black

"       "       "    white

Scalpel blades

Superglue

Plasticard

Several, Airfix, vintage classics

Greenstuff tubing

Got the lot! Including the funny looks.......🤪