The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

8 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

As we all know Monaco is a virtual guaranteed procession with race order only being affected by crashes or pit stops but at least you can rely on the F2 and F3 cars for overtaking or at least that used to be the case.

We really need a "Sad but true" response button.

8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Strange, there are only two Drivers that I don't seem to gell with, and that is MV and FA, but it looks increasingly likely that one of them will be the next Camp, or should that be CHUMP.

So your least worst Chump would be?  🤔

At least Hamilton can say "I went round Monaco faster than Mr Bean", though its not much of a consolation....

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

If one pit call had been different, it could have been very exciting but alas - we had 10 interesting laps.

I don't need to wake up the TV then to watch it, I followed it on the BBC text stream however, I am at a loss how Russell who was third due to delaying his pitstop and went straight to inters managed to come out behind Hamilton who pitted twice.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

II am at a loss how Russell who was third due to delaying his pitstop and went straight to inters managed to come out behind Hamilton who pitted twice.

From Pitpass

George Russell: I'm very disappointed with myself. After the pit stop, I was ahead of Lewis and Esteban (Ocon) and I made a mistake, completely by myself. What's even worse is that I wasn't even pushing. I touched the brake and locked up; that's cost the team a podium. One third of the track was extremely wet, another part was quite dry. If you touch the white line when it's wet, it's like ice. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SR71 said:

I'm hoping he's damaged something when 'skillfully' skittling it off the walls on that last lap and either gets a pit lane start or fails at 2/3rds distance. I wouldn't mind Alonso winning and I'm hoping Lewis opted for a wet set up.

No luck and he kept doing it in the race. Adrian Newy won't sleep tonight, clearly the car is over engineered!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2023 at 21:57, Oldddudders said:

From Pitpass

George Russell: I'm very disappointed with myself. After the pit stop, I was ahead of Lewis and Esteban (Ocon) and I made a mistake, completely by myself. What's even worse is that I wasn't even pushing. I touched the brake and locked up; that's cost the team a podium. One third of the track was extremely wet, another part was quite dry. If you touch the white line when it's wet, it's like ice. 

Doesn't it make a change to hear a driver being honest, instead of saying how something is everyone else's fault other than their own?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

On 28/05/2023 at 18:20, OnTheBranchline said:

If one pit call had been different, it could have been very exciting but alas - we had 10 interesting laps.

I don't understand Alonso's pit stop at all. He had hard tyres on so should have been able to last a longer than Verstappen on his mediums, yet they pitted him for his second (mandatory) set of dry tyres when they suspected rain later on. That call gave up any chance of a win. Alonso himself questioned it too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 28/05/2023 at 21:57, Oldddudders said:

From Pitpass

George Russell:  If you touch the white line when it's wet, it's like ice. 

Nigel Mansell learned that lesson at Monaco in 1984. It’s all just a little bit of history repeating.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2023 at 17:43, OnTheBranchline said:

He's right, it is a meritocracy. If you aren't winning, work harder at doing so! All teams have the same set of regs to work off, some might bend those regs (literally in the case of front wings) and spend $2m on sandwiches, but at the end of the day, if you're behind, you have to do better either as a driver or constructor (or both) to catch up.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Keep the rules the same and everyone can focus on improving to catch up. The scaling budget cap will help this as those at the front will have less money to spend on going faster than those behind. Granted, those behind are smaller teams and may not reach their budget cap but at least the ever moving target will move slower then previously.

If you change the rules then everyone has to spend time and money adapting to those rules. Not just those who the rules are supposed to slow down.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

With Lance Stroll being pretty mediocre in the ultra competitive Aston Martin, it makes you wonder what a driver like Lando Norris could do. Lando deserve better than a McLaren fighting for 9th. 

That isn't going to happen unless Lando can prove he is Lawrence's offspring............... 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Teammate defends teammate isn't exactly shocking. I don't think anyone would argue that Lance is the weakest driver of the top 4 teams by a long way. This is the same driver that took the arguably 3rd fastest car in 2020 (the pink Mercedes) and finished 11th in the driver's standings vs Perez's 4th.

I know that Lance Stroll replaced won't actually happen but it's fun to think of what Lando could do. It's eerily how much Fernando is carrying AM right now - very 2012 Ferrari esque. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Alonso is (these days) *always* very supportive of his younger teammates. I feel he learnt a valuable lesson a few years back.

If Alonso is faster his teammate isn’t a threat so therefore he can be nice. If his teammate is as fast as him then ‘the team aren’t giving him full support’ etc etc 

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

I would say Alfonso is sucking up to Stroll Snr, not wanting to jeopardise the good car he has under him.

Oh and that too 😁

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well. No crashes, no-one broke down, it didn't rain, quite a lot of overtaking, albeit with DRS - and the podium looks slightly different. And some promising teams had a poor day, while others who often promise a lot, had a worse one. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Well, 1 RB is 25 seconds ahead of the rest of the field on race day. The other RB has been proven to be just as quick, but as soon as that happened, suddenly its 35 seconds behind, with similar performance to the Mercs*...  Nice to see that Mercedes have shown better behaviour to the extent that both got podium finishes.

Was it the track?  Not a silly rat-run like all of these street circuit monstrosities, Spain has apparently been made more "drivable" and entertaining by the elimination of an extraneous chicane. Perhaps the powers that be in F1 should take that on board?

* Get back Perez, your job is to hold up the rest of the field for Mr Bean to make his getaway.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Possibly the most interesting race of the season (not a lot of competition) with some overtaking even if only DRS assisted.

Perez needs to track down Marko/Horner's auto destruct button they use in qualifying to ensure he doesn't get in the way of their golden boy.

• Like 4