RMweb

Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

4 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

The B16 is still dangling and ready for the first manufacturer brave* enough to do it...

*no bravery needed IMO

Your right. However as Hornby is looking to capitalise on the interest in the streamlined LNER it is a cheaper option as all the information is held as they re tooled the B17 not that long ago (knowing me that will be 6 years or so). They already have the information for the loco chassis and the information on the tender chassis is held in the GS version. 

The B16 as much as I would like one I think it will be another manufacturer that takes it on. My thoughts were we were going to see a all singing version of the D49 with a couple of different tenders in either of the 2 main forms of Shire or Hunt.  I suspect this may come around in the next few years!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Maybe they could now turn to the GWR streamliners?😆

Note to Hornby - please don't,

2xc8k7ruvqs61.jpg

I can't help wondering whether their CME was trying to respond to comments that GWR engines all look the same, or if he had just been smoking certain substances.  Or was it an April fool joke by the works foreman at Swindon?

A Thomas face would have been just as convincing.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

2xc8k7ruvqs61.jpg

I can't help wondering whether their CME was trying to respond to comments that GWR engines all look the same, or if he had just been smoking certain substances.  Or was it an April fool joke by the works foreman at Swindon?

AIUI Collett hated the idea and only did it under pressure from the directors.

Edit: I wonder if Hawksworth drew the splasher?

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, rovex said:

So perhaps we should abandon the idea that a loco with a large number of members of the class, a wide geographic range, a wide variety of liveries and long lived, make good models for mass production. 

Number in the class - 2

Area of operation - London to East Anglia

Length of service in this form - 1951 when both were converted to B17/6 and the stream lining removed.

So the smaller the number built, the smaller the area of operation and the shorter the length of service is what is going to determine the models Hornby will make!

1937-1951 wasnt a bad length of service really in streamlined condition, and will have carried standard, wartime and BR liveries, so thats at least 6 they can produce

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

2xc8k7ruvqs61.jpg

Sponsored by Ann Summers?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

Next year the Atlantic version of the A4?

886667077_A4atlantic.jpg.1dca6407b156389582cdbab392d03221.jpg

Regards

Fred

that just looks lethal - like it'll get to 50MPH and everything'll get tangled and it'll start throwing its connecting rods up into the underside of the boiler....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, DougN said:

Your right. However as Hornby is looking to capitalise on the interest in the streamlined LNER it is a cheaper option as all the information is held as they re tooled the B17 not that long ago (knowing me that will be 6 years or so). They already have the information for the loco chassis and the information on the tender chassis is held in the GS version. 

The B16 as much as I would like one I think it will be another manufacturer that takes it on. My thoughts were we were going to see a all singing version of the D49 with a couple of different tenders in either of the 2 main forms of Shire or Hunt.  I suspect this may come around in the next few years!

Don't disagree, and I've got a decent kit built one anyway, but it seems like such an open goal. Loads of variants, wide geographic usage, long lived etc.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

that just looks lethal - like it'll get to 50MPH and everything'll get tangled and it'll start throwing its connecting rods up into the underside of the boiler....

The Milwaukee Road ones worked OK - and achieved some fairly high speeds as well.....................

Milwaukee Road class A No. 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

2xc8k7ruvqs61.jpg

the legend is (and I’m not sure if it is apocryphal) that the styling was done by smearing plasticine on a novelty paperweight in the shape of the King, and that was handed over to the works to produce it. 

if so, it kind of makes me want one more 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Peter Eaton said:

As per usual I am a bit confused!

Is the BR release to be BR green or BR numbered in Apple green ?

or has black been mentioned.

thanks

Peter

there’s no detail as of yet that allows that to be decided for sure :)

Suspect that the BR version is BR apple green with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, but that’s not been definitively confirmed yet 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

The East Anglian stock was the standard 61'6" 😉

Although having invested heavily in 52'6" kits it's only a matter of time!

It may have been to the standard length but the 6-car set was specially built for the East Anglian service, with the interiors in a very similar style to the Coronation and West Riding streamlined sets, and all open seating. The re-released teak Gresleys will not cut the mustard...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The Milwaukee Road ones worked OK - and achieved some fairly high speeds as well.....................

Milwaukee Road class A No. 2

True, but they have the length/spacing to not look like they're going to trip over their own wheels!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, E100 said:

I'm quite surprised by the reasonable price by 2023 standards when the 8F is £250!

A very nice addition but not for me.

I'm thinking it might be part of a masterplan. Remember Hornby introduced a new tooled B17 in the Railroad range a few years back. Maybe they were already thinking ahead to a B17/5 then and having the chassis , it could be relatively low cost.

I didnt predict it , but when you think of it its typical Hornby territory . Big shiny engine , although they are usually Pacifics .  You have to think they are scraping the bottom of the barrel now for subjects in OO and can perhaps see why they see more opportunities in  TT120