RMweb

Hornby 2023 - Bluetooth decoders and control system

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

According to the schedule (25/9/23) the sound profiles for the class 37 and Turbomotive in OO were due in Q3 so are now overdue. So should be available shortly.

Turbomotive is live, available to download.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bob83a said:

According to the schedule (25/9/23) the sound profiles for the class 37 and Turbomotive in OO were due in Q3 so are now overdue. So should be available shortly.

Turbomotive is already available, as already mentioned by RedgateModels

Edited by Johan DC
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

37 is now live to download 😁

I was a complete sceptic of this new system but decided to try one rather than write it off. Have to say it's brilliant. Easy to set up and the 37 project downloaded with no problems. Really enjoying running the loco from my phone. Well done Hornby. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

I was a complete sceptic of this new system but decided to try one rather than write it off. Have to say it's brilliant. Easy to set up and the 37 project downloaded with no problems. Really enjoying running the loco from my phone. Well done Hornby. 

Quite a few sceptics out there but those that try it (and follow the instructions 😀) find it to be a very simple and versatile system.

Lots more bells, whistles and dongles to come.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

Quite a few sceptics out there but those that try it (and follow the instructions 😀) find it to be a very simple and versatile system.

Lots more bells, whistles and dongles to come.

I've tried it and followed instructions (using Hornby eLink power supply only).

When it works, it is great, but I've had 10 of these chips so far and 4 were dud (one only worked in one direction before it died and I cannot get shot of the thing from the app, one made made whistle pop sounds on the speaker when connecting and refused to work, two have had no bluetooth signal what so ever). 

In 40 years of buying Hornby products, these seriously affect my confidence. The potential is there but reliability has not been in my case.

22 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I've tried it and followed instructions (using Hornby eLink power supply only).

When it works, it is great, but I've had 10 of these chips so far and 4 were dud (one only worked in one direction before it died and I cannot get shot of the thing from the app, one made made whistle pop sounds on the speaker when connecting and refused to work, two have had no bluetooth signal what so ever). 

In 40 years of buying Hornby products, these seriously affect my confidence. The potential is there but reliability has not been in my case.

I’m on 26 installs now, only had one dud, so sorry to hear your problems. I think it’s a vast improvement over any current DCC system, let’s just hope the sound files further increase in diversity. 

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

i have to wait for the dongle,   as im not going to replace accurascale, Bachmann, legomanbiffo sounds for Hornby Bluetooth,  tho i really cant wait to play with them on my tablet and see how easy etc it is to a normal Hornby elite controller  

14 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

i have to wait for the dongle,   as im not going to replace accurascale, Bachmann, legomanbiffo sounds for Hornby Bluetooth,  tho i really cant wait to play with them on my tablet and see how easy etc it is to a normal Hornby elite controller  

If you have a single HM7K decoder then you can try all the app controls that you will have over legacy decoders when the dongle comes out, except for write and reading CVs over the air. That has to be done thru’ the rails either PoM or by service track programming.

In response to JS there is a force delete. Delete the bogie decoder three times and force delete option appears. That will shift it.

Also contact HM.customercare@Hornby.com and ask for replacements for your duff ones. Give them your decoder ID numbers as proof of ownership. HM7000-xxxx.

Edited by RAF96
More advice

When the dongle arrives and we can control non hm7000 decoders via the app will we be able to add descriptions to the function buttons in the app as there will be no pre set list of which button does what to upload ? Would save having lists of functions or cheat cards like I have now. Thanks

17 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Anyone got vids of the 37 sound scheme? Better than TTS version is my main curiosity[?]

I have had both running alongside each other and the TXS is a lot crisper sound to my cloth ears. The horns are not the same in pitch. My 37 TTS is a one-off test cut and has two tone horns to go with my Police Car livery, so I am loath to swap it out.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/10/2023 at 17:11, Chrisr40 said:

When the dongle arrives and we can control non hm7000 decoders via the app will we be able to add descriptions to the function buttons in the app as there will be no pre set list of which button does what to upload ? Would save having lists of functions or cheat cards like I have now. Thanks

The pictures show a dongle allocated loco, function set up screens and the icon pick list. In practice you allocate a function (spanner) the function number to operate, pick an icon for it then overtype the function name.

Having set up all the functions then you can export and save that profile, then import it to a similar class loco later.

IMG_1220.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

39 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

I have had both running alongside each other and the TXS is a lot crisper sound to my cloth ears. The horns are not the same in pitch. My 37 TTS is a one-off test cut and has two tone horns to go with my Police Car livery, so I am loath to swap it out.

Thanks. Be fascinating to see a video 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, apologies in advance if the answers to my simple question are somewhere in this length topic.  As I understand it, with HM7000 decoders you can:

• Install and then download the correct sound using a phone/tablet via Bluetooth with the locomotive powered from a conventional DCC track.
  • Switch the decoder to DCC mode and use on a convectional DCC track thereafter; ESU ECoS powered.
  • Switch back to Bluetooth for sound upgrades, if available.

I have several HSTs to add sound to need to confirm the following:

• You can set 2 HM7000 decoders to the same long address, as you could with any other decoders, eg TTS, ESU.
  • No need to adjust wiring for dummy power car, simply adjust CV29.

Thank you in advance

• RMweb Gold

Yes to all the above except whether you need to adjust CV29 on dummy power cars depends on the model. Fairly sure the 8pin Hornby HST's had the wiring reversed on the dummy car so CV29 changes weren't needed, no idea about the newer 21pin ones.

Edited by Kaput
  • Thanks 1

HM7K decoders are simply normal decoders with an aerial. Take them out of the box and do whatever you would normally do with a dcc decoder.

Yes, you can use the same long DCC address for both power and dummy cars and run them as one from DCC. What you cannot do yet is control 2 Bluetooth addresses at the same time under one hat, but it is being worked on.

Ref dummy car and CV29 - no need to fiddle as the wiring is correct out of the factory for running pointy end last. Once masking is set as required then lights and sounds follow direction of travel.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1