Hornby 2023 - Steam locomotives

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I expect Eisenhower and Canada will be the ones to hang about.

Mallard is Mallard so will sell (I have ordered one), the other 3 UK based ones (I have ordered 2 but might decide on only one), two have been on the mainline in the last few years as per the models, SNG should look similar to the model when it's repainted and will be out on the mainline so I see running interest as sold for 3 of the 6.

I don't know - a LOT of people's favourite was DoC. I'm not normally in the majority so was quite surprised to find myself in a lot of company!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Being interested in quirky BR stuff and having not seen this before I looked it up on Flickr and found this below image, they look black to me there although could that just be grime?

Link: 

J36 (scanned slide)

I would certainly say very workworn, grubby, as per the state of the rest of the locomotive.  I've seen the photo before and it did throw some doubt initially as to whether they should be black or was it muck.  I also questioned it if was a Black and White scan which has since been colourised, as I have seen a photograph taken two steps to the right of this position of the exact same scene in B&W.  Both photographs are uncredited on Flickr, but without knowledge of shed tours to Dundee Tay Bridge etc in 1948, the likelihood of two almost exact photographs by different photographers is low.

Yeadon Register has this very detailed photograph included, which I think solves nicely the livery applied.

IMG_20230110_081122_833.jpg

I should add that, snipped off above, is the engine in the same livery but with LNER insignia (out of shot).  The wheels were lined at that point too, but again what looks to be a layer of dirt has obscured much indication of the wheel lining.  Similarly, some of the lining on the lower tender, cab and leading splasher appears to vanish due to dirt.  Shows how easy the black and white lining of the LNER could dissappear on a workworn engine.

Edited by JonathonAG
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I missed out. I have Mallard preordered now. 

If you want a cheaper option the National Railway Museum still have plenty of their Hornby Mallard exclusive for £140. I got mine at Warley. Is in gloss finish (but personally that's why I liked it)

There seems to be a bit of an overkill on the Dublo front. With both a full set of Flying Scotsman's and a full set of great gathering A4s. It might have been better to have one set per year.

I can imagine Dublo collectors feeling the heavy load.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

54 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Seems to be a heavy s&d focus this year, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

If only! An RTR Locomotion would be an excellent addition to the range! Now THAT'S original S&D! 😉 

The 8f is one I've always fancied, as my Margate one is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but for the price I think I'll wait and see if one comes from another source as it seems like a dead cert in due course.

When in doubt, it seems, make something in the Dublo range. Which does seem a bit opportunistic. I could have been tempted by one of the Scotsman range, or a Gathering A4, but not at the extra bunce needed for the die-cast gimmick thankyou.

Cheers

J

20 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I don't know - a LOT of people's favourite was DoC. I'm not normally in the majority so was quite surprised to find myself in a lot of company!

Ah OK, I wasn't aware of that. It was more that the two based in North America wouldn't see action on a present day UK layout. Whether their existing details apply to their running in service I don't know.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I can imagine Dublo collectors feeling the heavy load.

I’m no where convinced the Dublo market is that big.

back in 2020 my thoughts were a safe number being 1 or 2 a year.

We are now upto 9…

2020 - 6231

2021 - Two MN and a Duchess

2022 - One MN, 2 A4 and a Duchess, plus a trainset.

and in 2023.. 13 in one year.

2023 - 6x A4, 6x A3 and a Deltic

its worth noting, 2022’s havent sold out yet, indeed only 2( Blue Duchess & Trainset) has been delivered.

A Dublo collector will need to find nearly £3k if this lot show up in one year and want to keep a collection whole… I’m not convinced the age bracket for this collectors demographic is predominantly working age.

Dublo expansion is starting to feel like Supermarket science when it comes to range selection… Beans sell, Sausages sell.. lets put beans and sausages in the same tin and watch it sell.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

We are now upto 9…

2020 - 6231

its worth noting, 2022’s havent sold out yet, indeed only 2( Blue Duchess & Trainset) has been delivered.

A Dublo collector will need to find nearly £3k if this lot show up in one year and want to keep a collection whole… I’m not convinced the age bracket for this collectors demographic is predominantly working age.

Dublo expansion is starting to feel like Supermarket science when it comes to range selection.

Exactly my point. IF they all came out in a relatively short time space, they will end up sitting on it. And someone who may have got one of the full sets, are most likely thinking 2 sets is too much.

In any case, limited editions have long since ceased being limited...

Also "Another run of the Caley single....." How much nostalgia can this market possibly want?

I am fairly sure most people (collectors, modelers, you name it) have shifted to those all new super detailed models coming from elsewhere.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

Only one really new tooling (B17/5) the rest is just repaints and modifications to existing  tooling as far as I can see. I guess all the money for new tools went into developing the TT120 range.

60103 Era 11 (?) looks nice but shouldn't the tender front be black? I'd like an A3 but wouldn't buy the "ski jump" model but oh, all that daylight above the bogie. I must remember that these models have to get round toy-train curves.

8 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Looking at the side ons of the two castles.  Is it correct that 4074, in near as built condition, have a fire iron tunnel whereas the 1930s 4073 doesn’t?

Not sure when 4074 got its fire iron tunnel - 1940s???

Don't forget these Hornby pics are just photoshop fictionals at the moment.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Agree 3

I think the heavy emphasis on the Dublo range is interesting, and I'll be curious to see how it sells. I do think there's a strong collector market with deep pockets - but are they deep enough to buy several variants of the same model? Are these things selling to completists who buy everything, or people who think "That's nice" and buy a specific model? I don't know, and as I say, I'll be curious to see what happens.

Surprised they haven't done anything for the 75th anniversary of BR, given that they're commemorating seemingly everything else.

The one that's calling to my wallet is the United Glass Bottle Manufacturers-liveried Pug, although strictly it shouldn't have the covers over the slide bars.

Well, I'm going to award myself a bonus smug point for correctly predicting that Lion would eventually appear as Tiger 😀 

It is, of course, even more speculative than Lion, since we have no idea what either of them looked like in service. But, still, with the addition of some more wagons and coaches, it's getting to the point where a plausible enough Era 1 layout would be possible provided you're willing to accept the known inaccuracies. I wonder if Hornby will take the plunge and do something like Northumbrian, or one of the Planet or Patentee classes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen anything particularly interesting this year, although they got me at the Union of South Africa A4. I've been after one of these for so many years that the thing is now out of service! I'd maybe even consider Sir Nigel Gresley if they decided to release a modern refurbed Wartime version alongside the Great Gathering edition.

Edited by Richy59
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Not sure when 4074 got its fire iron tunnel - 1940s???

Don't forget these Hornby pics are just photoshop fictionals at the moment.

thanks and agree they should have chance to change it to be correct.  

photo here from Maidment and Meanley vol 1 (1923-59) dated c1924.

David

9D1FA8A1-89A8-4CEA-A7E5-19569F4D35C1.jpeg

My question is: why do there need to be two Mallards? They are both £320, except the Great Gathering one is Dublo, so will be metal, but I assume the 85 years NRM one won't be? Why would you buy the NRM one.

Hornby definitely know there is money in LNER Pacific fanboys... (Except I'm one without money...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

Yeah, I completely understand it being a more limited range given what is happening right now.  I certainly won't be able to afford to spend much on the hobby this year.  Despite that, there's a few things I like in there. 

Since Simon Kohler returned the thinking every year seems to be lots of high end collectors models with anniversaries that people didn't even know were on, and lots of LNER locomotives.

Not really my thing but if it improves their financial situation then fair enough.

The last "must-have" loco I bought from Hornby was 35029 "Ellerman Lines", getting on for two years ago. I was also tempted by a 6-w Sentinel but those, some overdue Maunsell coaches, a couple of brake vans and a heavily discounted Terrier aside, have been it.

In the meantime, others have been keeping me admirably amused, with enough pre-orders in place to ensure that continues. I'm becoming accustomed to, and increasingly content with, consecutive years with no new Hornby items fitting my interests. 

On current expectations, I'll not be spending anything with Hornby until "Winter 2024-25" (two Black Fives). By contrast, for many years, starting with Clan Line, my average annual spend with Hornby was well into four figures (including when locos were under £100 each).

I hope for Hornby's sake that the outlay of others increased enough to balance my reduction, though maybe it hasn't, hence the need for TT:120 and increasingly evident targeting of collectors. I don't accept that the OO market is "saturated"; if it were, my spending would have dropped drastically. However, I have begun to think that Hornby's approach to OO may be.  

Others are keeping my overall modelling spend (in cash terms) at or above where it's been for years, albeit with fewer boxes crossing the doorstep from reduced multiple purchases as prices have risen. When loco RRP's (especially if from existing tooling) exceed £250, I get very picky.... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

We are now upto 9…

2020 - 6231

Dublo expansion is starting to feel like Supermarket science when it comes to range selection… Beans sell, Sausages sell.. lets put beans and sausages in the same tin and watch it sell.

Spot on there I think although we don't know how small the runs of these various models will be.  But judging by RNS maybe shareholders are flogging off their Hornby shares in order to afford more than one.  Over 96,000 shares traded so far today and a new 52 week low hit at one point with the price 17% down on yesterday's close although there might by now be some bargain hunters pitching in to buy.  Even today's high (so far) is about 2p lower than recent lows in daily trading.  

57 minutes ago, Farang said:

60103 Era 11 (?) looks nice but shouldn't the tender front be black?

I'm pretty sure the tender front should be green. I'm also pretty sure all 6 A4s (with the possible exception of SNG's latest repaint) should have tender fronts the same colour as the rest of the body...

Edit: I suppose it doesn't matter what colour 60007 is now since the model should represent it as it was 9½ years ago...

Edited by AdamOrmorod

29 minutes ago, Sam Szeto said:

My question is: why do there need to be two Mallards? They are both £320, except the Great Gathering one is Dublo, so will be metal, but I assume the 85 years NRM one won't be? Why would you buy the NRM one.

Hornby definitely know there is money in LNER Pacific fanboys... (Except I'm one without money...)

The anniversary one is £195 as says the table underneath the slides pointing out price corrections...

Edited by HExpressD
Numbers are hard

• RMweb Gold

fair play to Hornby, there's a pretty good range this year.

A bit unfortunate with the choice of locomotives, but hey, that's life!

A3 Hermit (Kermit)

A3 harvester (No thanks:- I bought me sandwiches)...

And I daren't mention the name of the little pug. It will cause a bidding war between the Mods to chuck me off the 'web!

Finally, what's all this about 'Triplex Sound- 3 different notes?  That's Status Quo!

Well done Hornby. It must be blessed difficult to arrange a line up with something for everybody.