Little Trains & Big Names with Pete Waterman

montyburns56

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

I don't think this show does much to dispel the prejudice that model railways are only for old men.

Who cares? 😀

Much preferable to the prejudice against "Grown men playing with toy trains"

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Sir Rod, 78

Pete Waterman, 76

Francis Rossi, 74

Jools Holland, 65

Eddie/Suzy Izzard, 61

I don't think this show does much to dispel the prejudice that model railways are only for old men.

Except for Eddie/Suzy Izzard, who's not quite so old, and is genderfluid.

Really? I just get the enthusiasm and pleasure and the joyous fact that the producers aren’t out for a sly dig all the time.

And I thought the Beckenham & West Wickham club chairman was doing very well for an old ‘un too, why, he even had an earring. Oh Hang on, so did Francis.

And all of us (hopefully) get to be old, so it’s a positive anyway!!

Edited by Not Jeremy
Club correction, thanks Pete!
  • Like 7
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Sir Rod, 78

Pete Waterman, 76

Francis Rossi, 74

Jools Holland, 65

Eddie/Suzy Izzard, 61

Except for Eddie/Suzy Izzard, who's not quite so old, and is genderfluid.

The giveaway is in the Series Title, although in today's society you can apparently have a big name at a young age although you probably won't really have achieved much.

Perhaps PW's next series could be Little Trains and Young Bloggers/Influencers  Sam of Sam's Trains could be one featured guest, suggestions for others?. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The giveaway is in the Series Title, although in today's society you can apparently have a big name at a young age although you probably won't really have achieved much.

Perhaps PW's next series could be Little Trains and Young Bloggers/Influencers  Sam of Sam's Trains could be one featured guest, suggestions for others?. 

Wow , you know how to stir it !  

Enjoyable program although I thought the Francis Rossi one was a bit tenuous as he hadn't actually got a railway . He did seem enthused while operating the model railway clubs layout . I wonder if he will persevere. He seemed confused by the laser cut station .

Looking forward to James May , who we know is already into trains ,next week. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I don't think Sir Rod, Pete Waterman, and Francis Rossi are particularly big names any more.

Jools Holland is a little bit big still, but is also very annoying. 

Eddie/Suzy Izzard is still quite big.

Now if BTS, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, or Harry Styles were on the next series, I'd be impressed.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

James May is 60. 

Yep I kind of knew he was around that being rough ages with me . Annoyingly he appears to be  younger !Wont make it any less enjoyable . In fact if he is as nostalgic as I am  I'm expecting some good old Tri-ang Hornby to appear . we already know from previous programs he had a Flying Scotsman.

I do get your point we are all of a certain age. 

Edited by Legend

54 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Sir Rod was 26 when he had his first solo number one single, and that was half a century ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the BWWMRC chairman who was showing Francis around might be a little upset if you told him he was as old as the others you list.

There are plenty of younger people interested but you have to be selective about who knows. 50 years of TV and the press treating the hobby as a freak show means that being public about it can be detrimental to your career and relationships due to the innate social prejudice.

I'm really pleased to see this program in particularl bucking that trend.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Not sure age says anything about achievement. Mozart was a child prodigy and died at 35, leaving behind a remarkable body of work. My favourite still performing pianist is Yuja Wang, a child prodigy and still not old.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

I think the BWWMRC chairman who was showing Francis around might be a little upset if you told him he was as old as the others you list.

There are plenty of younger people interested but you have to be selective about who knows. 50 years of TV and the press treating the hobby as a freak show means that being public about it can be detrimental to your career and relationships due to the innate social prejudice.

I'm really pleased to see this program in particularl bucking that trend.

I'm sure Greg will be pleased to see that!!! Hasn't stopped us all taking the mick out of him for being called the 'Club President' haha!!!! What you saw from the clips of our club  were legit, nothing was staged. 

Nathan...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Who the f@ck are they?

'Popular musical entertainers, m'Lord..'

Regarding last night's airing; ;the better half took one look at the track-plan, and said 'he's going to get bored very quickly with that'. It should be said that her first train-set was the Channel Tunnel...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Pete Waterman's Leamington Spa layout was interesting to see. He made a comment about it being good not to be able to see all the railway at once. Just like the real thing. 

Having been fortunate enough to visit Pete's layout a few years ago, it came across to me that not being able to see the whole layout was its biggest downside.

Although the points, signals, etc, were controlled from alongside the station(s), the trains IIRC were driven from the fiddle yard(*), which was in a different room. This meant that the driver had no vision of the state of the signals and was driving blind. Consequently all he could do was drive the train round the circuit and back to where it came from. Stopping in the platform, or crossing between the GWR and LMS lines were virtually impossible.

(*) There may have been some local controls for shunting the goods yard etc, but this was effectively independent operation from the main lines.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Really? I just get the enthusiasm and pleasure and the joyous fact that the producers aren’t out for a sly dig all the time. And I thought the Sutton club chairman was doing very well for an old ‘un too, why, he even had an earring. Oh Hang on, so did Francis.

And everyone (hopefully) gets to be old, so it’s a positive anyway!!

Beckenham & West Wickham club. Their Chairman was (& still is) Greg Marshall. Certainly not an "old 'un" but a very active modeller & I felt he portrayed our hobby very positively.

I may be biased with that though, because I know Greg & we get on very well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2023 at 11:44, Fat Controller said:

'Popular musical entertainers, m'Lord..'

Regarding last night's airing; ;the better half took one look at the track-plan, and said 'he's going to get bored very quickly with that'. It should be said that her first train-set was the Channel Tunnel...

But the Channel Tunnel is basically a giant roundy because it has return loops at each end and the trains go round and round (or did she find that boring too?)

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But the Channel Tunnel is basically a giant roundy because it has return loops at each end and the trains go round and round (or did she find that boring too?)

We used to send a few to the fiddle yards, or 'National Railways', as management used call them....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Apart from the subsea Strategic Reserve fiddleyards.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

Slightly more excited w.r.t. Rossi episode as am Southern EMU guy - sadly (for me) wrong line - my line was Kent Coast! 

Anyway, anyone identify the software used to plan Rossi's layout?  Looks like it was running on Macbook?  Specifically intrigued by moving train option?

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2023 at 10:27, Not Jeremy said:

Who the f@ck are they?

On 03/11/2023 at 10:31, jjb1970 said:

Not sure age says anything about achievement. Mozart was a child prodigy and died at 35, leaving behind a remarkable body of work. My favourite still performing pianist is Yuja Wang, a child prodigy and still not old.

Well ….Status Who ?  And my appreciation of the above belies my musical tastes.Yuja Wang is a true superstar of the  Steinway Grand . Lucky to hear her live in Turin several years ago. Be that as it may,I did watch that Live Aid concert. 1985 I believe…but the only memory I have of that evening  was unfortunately interrupted by the sound of breaking glass.My then 14 yo son practising his inswingers managed to pitch one squarely into the French window in the dining room . So no memory of Francis Rossi I’m afraid. But what another genial and absorbing programme it is.It really demonstrates the very best of model railways and its following.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Like 5