Little Trains & Big Names with Pete Waterman

montyburns56

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2023 at 09:50, Legend said:

Wow , you know how to stir it !  

Enjoyable program although I thought the Francis Rossi one was a bit tenuous as he hadn't actually got a railway . He did seem enthused while operating the model railway clubs layout . I wonder if he will persevere. He seemed confused by the laser cut station .

Looking forward to James May , who we know is already into trains ,next week. 

It was a same not to see some of Francis's work.

All we got was lots of what you can & need to do with little in the way of any progress.

As a stand alone programme (I haven't seen 1 or 2) it was rather disappointing.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2023 at 01:57, BachelorBoy said:

Look at it dispassionately. 

A hobby needs to expand its appeal in order to thrive.

Some members of the public are prejudiced in thinking that the hobby is exclusively for one particular group of people. Call it market segment, A.

TV programmes that show people from segments, B, C, D etc also enjoying the hobby will help to expand its appeal.

Members of segment A probably enjoy TV programmes about the hobby that only show members of segment A enjoying it. That's great if you're a programme maker or TV channel targeted at segment A.

But such programmes will confirm the public's prejudice, and give the impression that the hobby is not for segments B, C, D, etc.

This hampers efforts to expand the hobby among people in segments B, C, D, etc.

I doubt it.  What the series has shown so far is a very valid route towards arriving at a constructive hobby which can involve a model railway - read my earlier post.  That can apply to people of all agaes because even theh young have memories of things.  Equally you need to consider how most youngsters nowadays first experience 'railways' and for the vast majority it is a Santa event on a preserved/heritage/leisure railway.  One day that mght be the memory that sparks their interest in creating some sort of model if you follow the theme used by Pete Waterman.

Hornby TT120 has reportedly built up a considerable following on 'social media' - which in turn suggests that it could well be doing what Hornby aimed for andis creating a new market outside traditional (whatever that is?) involvement in railway modelling.   Equally do not discount the simple fact of practicality - many younger people have neither the time nor the space for what we might regard as 'a model railway'.  Most of of us who had mortgages and spent time trying to do all the other things that happen in young families often had little time, or no space, to indulge various hobby interests.  Model railways require money (which is likely to be tight for many younger people), time (again in short supply), and space (same again in modern dwellings).  As we age so  for many people those factors become less critical which creates the necessary for whatever takes your fancy - including building a model railway.  The only factor which might be missing for some youngsters  (but clearly not all as we can see at most shows) is today's reduced emphasis on the need to develop physical skills to make or repair things - so they need to buy their way out of that situation or develop the skills when time permits.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tonight’s offering featuring James May offers potential to be the best in the series. I enjoyed his enthusiasm for the hobby in his Toy Stories series a few years back. A first class presenter in his own right.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

On 05/11/2023 at 23:11, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't go lot on the series about Hornby, because I don't consider it appropriate to push the commercial interests and products of any one particular manufacturer.  But what I like about Pete Waterman's series is that it's not made by the usual media types who just keep banging on about "train spotters" and "anoraks".

What I have noticed about TV programmes is that German TV often shows influential people (high-ranking politcians etc) showing their layouts - whereas a British politican would be well advised to keep off the subject of railways or model railways because of this prejudice by the British media.  Portillo only gets away with it because he's given up hope of future high office, and I assume he's getting a decent remuneration as well as the opportunity to travel the world's railways on expenses.

I believe there is a sitting MP (currently) who is a keen modeller. I think he represents a Kent or Essex constituency. 

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoyed the James May episode . Clearly he likes restoring old trains . What a selection . I observed Tri-ang, Hornby, Wrenn, Mainline, Heljan , Fleischmann, Roco . I would have thought he would have had a wee layout to appreciate them running . That was the only disappointment . Much better than the Francis Rossi episode where the link to trains was tenuous .

Only 4 people know about this said James May. Well not really we had seen him before , was it in a Timewatch program playing trains with his friends . And of course there's the program where he restores his Flying Scotsman to good health . Very enjoyable . I thought the Jools Holland one and this one were the best .

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

As I'm in the UK at the moment, I was able to watch last night's episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. James May's undoubted skills as a train fixer were good to see and his sheer joy when driving the DMU was infectious. I'll try to catch the Jules Holland episode as I'm a big fan of his - musically and railway-wise. I remember his Channel 4 series about 40 years ago.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Overall a really good series which I have enjoyed throughout albeit with some high spots and some not so high spots.  The first (Jools Holland) and the last (James May) were overall my favourites although the Pendon coverage was a little disappointing as far as I was concerned (but obviously all the old crowd I knew there are no longer involved - well it was 50 years ago!!!).

I do hope there will be a second series as there are plenty of others in the world of 'popular music' for Pete to inveigle into appearuing.  I wonder if Rod Sr tewart still has his N  gauge layout which I think was inspired to some extent by the ECML?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was great, Pete is such a good “compère” with his obvious enthusiasm and knowledge, a very talented bloke in so many ways. Apart from everything, what I really liked was the sense that the joy and enthusiasm of the subject is open to everyone, he might have been talking to “celebrities” but nothing was really made of that aspect of the whole thing. Absolutely brilliant TV, well done to Pete and all involved - here’s to more!

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s called taking your happiness seriously 🤣

There's a big model shop (all varieties) in Sydney, HobbyCo, whose slogan is "For people who take their fun seriously".

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that was a series of four really good programmes, each one nicely different.  I suspect the "big name" aspect was just a hook to help them get made.  After a while you forgot they were famous names as their enthusiasm for the subject came through.

Let's hope it got good ratings and series two can be made.

As a "Tri-ang baby",  (1st trainset in 1962ish was an RS15) I'd love a visit to James May's workshop.  All those enticing red & yellow boxes.  Plus Minic motorway in the Jools Holland episode.  Fantastic stuff.

Well done Channel 4!

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

Just watched the last episode and found it very enjoyable. Whether the series will attract any new modellers is open to debate. It does present the hobby in a good light though.

What I did find teeth grindingly annoying was the pointless recap after every ad break. I resent it being assumed that I’m too brain dead to remember what was happening two minutes earlier.

steve

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I enjoyed this episode as well, top stuff. It really cleared up what a DMU is for me, as well.

Me too. Also the "four pole" motor (on the diagram explaining commutators), followed by a Jinty that would not start ( as I assume would be an issue with a a real four pole motor lol 😁)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, steve1 said:

What I did find teeth grindingly annoying was the pointless recap after every ad break. I resent it being assumed that I’m too brain dead to remember what was happening two minutes earlier.

I'm afraid that is the prevailing pattern in all such productions these days, probably imported from across the pond. Usually at some point accompanied by an excruciating simulation as to what might happen if... - also boringly repeated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2023 at 14:18, Captain Kernow said:

CTMK and I thought that the James May one was excellent, probably the best of the lot.

absolutely agree, James May and Pete Waterman made a great double act, really complementary, wouldn't they make a brilliant pairing for their own series? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

Just watched the James May episode.

The "model railway" side of it was excellent, but the commentary and prototype film clips - oh dear! I'm surprised at someone like Pete not knowing the difference between a diesel loco and a DMU (the class 29 is NOT a DMU!), and several of the "DMUs" shown on film were either loco hauled stock or EMUs.

Overall though, it's been a great series and I hope we can see more like this.

• Agree 6

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm surprised at someone like Pete not knowing the difference between a diesel loco and a DMU (the class 29 is NOT a DMU!), and several of the "DMUs" shown on film were either loco hauled stock or EMUs.

It's quite common for editors to not know what the words actually mean and which footage does or doesn't go with them. Neither PW or JM are the guilty parties. Get in touch with the production company.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

On 09/11/2023 at 11:22, The Stationmaster said:

Equally you need to consider how most youngsters nowadays first experience 'railways' and for the vast majority it is a Santa event on a preserved/heritage/leisure railway.  One day that mght be the memory that sparks their interest in creating some sort of model if you follow the theme used by Pete Waterman.

Interesting point, but a smilar number probably first encounter railways on Thomas weekend.

I suppose that market is already pretty well served though.

A great series that defiantly put a different light on the hobby. Was great being in episode three with my newly acquired layout Acton Parkway, which was set up for the first time at the Beckenham and West Wickham club for testing, check out the layouts thread for more. Was great talking to Pete about the hobby and how far its come on in terms of detail etc. Hopefully a second series will be commissioned to hopefully delve into the hobby more, possibly looking at how the models are manufactured and exhibitions.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1