Little Trains & Big Names with Pete Waterman

montyburns56

• RMweb Premium

A most enjoyable look at model railways and an insight into the reason why  Jules Holland built the layout being able to look back to how London was in his childhood and his parents and grandparents. Thought the model of Euston Arch was stunning.

It can only be good for hobby and hopefully get some much needed 50 and 60 year olds interested.

Next week’s episode will be interesting.

Terry 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS What I took from the trails to be Eddie Izzard's layout looked remarkably like one we have seen in the past in another tv series being constructed 'for a customer'.  It's going to be interesting to hear all about that one

Eddie's layout is located here https://www.bexhillmuseum.org.uk/our-patron-eddie-izzard/eddie-izzards-wwii-model-railway/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Really glad this series got flagged up on this thread, just seen the first episode via Channel 4 app.

When Jools Holland's layout was featured in both Railway Modeller and Continental modeller I had to get both mags.  The different eras of personal history it covers was very interesting.  Both Pete Waterman and Jools Holland are very entertaining of course.

The layout also incorporated a very important philosophy for lofts, have the layout run round the sides and stand in the middle so you can't see everything at once!

Also great to see a serious program on model railways.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

Also I liked Jools Holland's story about buying a model of Victor Hugo's house for his layout in, er, Victor Hugo's house. Presumably the house in Paris rather than Guernsey. Coming back into the UK, Customs officials couldn't work out what this was and why he was bringing it in and got the sniffer dogs out...

But it didn't contain anything it shouldn't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

The layout also incorporated a very important philosophy for lofts, have the layout run round the sides and stand in the middle so you can't see everything at once!

My philosophy exactly for my loft layout, to the extent that I don't even have any hidden staging or fiddleyard at all.

Works for me. 

I also echo other comments about Jools Holland's layout. In print it didn't seem to make much sense, and some of it is very "train setty", with setrack curves and points, but his explanations behind it show it to be a very personal model, that makes a great deal of sense to him. Loved the stop-motion animations too!! Movement beyond the trains & road vehicles - that's the next Holy Grail for model railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the first episode. It showed real enjoyment, delight and enthusiasm from both Jools and Pete. This is the key to all modelling in my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Just caught the last ten minutes of the repeated showing yesterday (Saturday), having spotted on odd looking title on the EPG. Found it on More4 last evening and added to my list for catch-up. Mrs Pint (aka Mrs Half of Wild Wave), bless her little cotton socks, is quite happy watching trains too but we will miss next week's episode as it's her birthday and we'll be out for a family meal. She was very surprised to see it will feature Izzie Edard 🤭

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Also I liked Jools Holland's story about buying a model of Victor Hugo's house for his layout in, er, Victor Hugo's house. Presumably the house in Paris rather than Guernsey. Coming back into the UK, Customs officials couldn't work out what this was and why he was bringing it in and got the sniffer dogs out...

But it didn't contain anything it shouldn't.

When it was mentioned I was looking for a model of the Guernsey house and was at first rather confused by the model on the layout!

• Like 1

Just caught up with it.

I found it excellent, with the enthusiasm coming across rather well. The social history was unobtrusive to me, but I like that sort of thing, it might have come across as excessive to others.

It used train set type curves, but the running was faultless, far better than certain finescale layouts that I have seen.

The research into the buildings fascinated me, especially parts of London and Berlin that appeared to look real, even though mixed up as to actual location. The Pendonesque idea of plug in complete buildings, shown by removing a scene, gave an insight as to how the layout was built. The Euston arch, depicted very near the end, rather than in it's glory days. Looking forward to the next programme.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

Excellent series, a shame there are only four in it. I would have hoped more well known modellers would have been involved, Peter Snow, Anne Diamond, Rod Stewart and no doubt more, still possible series two fodder? 

Maybe the omissions, particularly of Rod Stewart and Phil Collins, leave room for a second seres to be commissioned if this one is considered a commercial success?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe the omissions, particularly of Rod Stewart and Phil Collins, leave room for a second seres to be commissioned if this one is considered a commercial success?

I'd like to see Neil Young's set-up. Apparently much of it has been influenced by his wish to build a layout that his disabled son can operate.

Graham 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 23/10/2023 at 19:10, dagrizz said:

I'd like to see Neil Young's set-up. Apparently much of it has been influenced by his wish to build a layout that his disabled son can operate.

Graham 

I thought he'd actually bought Liomel when they ran into difficulties? Next week's programme features Francis Rossi; at least, at least that who Lynne identified him as being.

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I thought he'd actually bought Liomel when they ran into difficulties? Next week's programme features Francis Rossi; at least, at least that who Lynne identified him as being.

Yes I thought he'd bought the Lionel company but the website doesn't mention it. I don't know what the current situation is with the company or Neil Young's layout.

Graham

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Ahh thats who that was !  Good programs .