New Magnetic And Fixed Bar Dellner Couplings By Accurascale

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

For gods sake there’s just no pleasing some people. 

Sorry to disagree with you, but visually they are not much of an improvement over a simple fixed coupling. Hopefully they work as intended. But the context here is the increasingly high 'realism' bar set by Accurascale.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

So I like the idea of magnetic couplings but the main issue I see with them is how to uncouple without a big hand from the sky coming in.

It’s probably worth a separate thread but the only things I can think of are either a tiny electromagnet on the loco coupler or a wire from under the baseboard and then driving the loco against it with much wheel slip before it shoots off.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen some of the Marklin locomotives with their automated uncoupling ability, something like an electromagnet would be great. It would also stop the train leaping towards the loco when coupling if you could switch the electromagnet off until the loco was up against the train.

Saying that, I love the ease of taking stock on and off the track with magnetic couplings compared to the hassles of tension lock couplings. And the close coupling which it can offer makes a big difference too.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Sorry to disagree with you, but visually they are not much of an improvement over a simple fixed coupling. Hopefully they work as intended. But the context here is the increasingly high 'realism' bar set by Accurascale.

I just don't know why that these couplings don't also provide full electrical connection like the real ones, this is AS after all 😁

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I just don't know why that these couplings don't also provide full electrical connection like the real ones, this is AS after all 😁

Why would they need to?

• Funny 1

I just don't know why that these couplings don't also provide full electrical connection like the real ones, this is AS after all 

4 hours ago, McC said:

Why would they need to?

I hadn't thought about that before, but good idea to get power to coaches for lighting perhaps? The loco has a power circuit through the coupling to power coach lighting, or the end carriage/wagon tail light.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Damo666 said:

I hadn't thought about that before, but good idea to get power to coaches for lighting perhaps? The loco has a power circuit through the coupling to power coach lighting, or the end carriage/wagon tail light.

I was joking!!!

Interestingly, I use Hunt Elite couplings on all my stock-was very pleasantly  surprised when I found the supplied Accurascale magnetic couplings fitted to MK5s are exactly the right hight and firmly mate with Hunt Elite! 

Edited by miles73128
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

Interestingly, I use Hunt Elite couplings on all my stock-was very presently surprised when I found the supplied Accurascale magnetic couplings fitted to MK5s are exactly the right hight and firmly mate with Hunt Elite! 

Ooooh, wasn't expecting that - damn we seem to have a defacto standard :)

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jut got mine, the problem I see is the length. There is obviously no proper standard for coupling length (or NEM pocket position...). Accurascale went for the safe way, if a coupling is too long it is only a visible problem, if it's too short it means derailment. I replaced the couplings on my Hornby class 156, but between the units I left the original ones, as with the Deller's they are good 5mm apart. I use the Dellner's only at the end of the units. 

Edited by Vecchio

57 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

There is obviously no proper standard for coupling length (or NEM pocket position...)

There are indeed proper standards, it's just the UK industry has been very inconsistent on applying the NEM standards, at least in the past hence this mess we have with short, long and cranked tension lock couplers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, frobisher said:

There are indeed proper standards, it's just the UK industry has been very inconsistent on applying the NEM standards, at least in the past hence this mess we have with short, long and cranked tension lock couplers.

Hi @frobisher,

This is very true, which is why we really put every effort in having ours at correct recommended height. We can see this causing a bit of head scratching with our TPE Mark 5s when it couples to the Class 68 as there is a difference.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

Evening all, I wasn't sure if this question would be best in this thread or the MK5 one so I'll post it in both. Please can anyone advise on the best magnetic coupling to purchase for the TPE MK5s to allow the 68 to push without derailment? I tested my set the other night & pushing with the standard Dapol NEM was just impossible without buffer clash.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Testing Hornby couplings , I found the buckeye version works very well with the Accurascale HOP wagons, which were brought together buffer to buffer, but as these are Accurascale products the sprung buffers work well, even on 24" radius curves, and being reversed through medium radius point work.  Taking a point made earlier, it would be great if magnetic couplings could be produced to conduct from the loco to the train, providing power for coach lighting. 

I've yet to purchase the chain link couplings for wagons....