Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modeller survey 2023

AY Mod

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

i'm most interested to see how many model or have an interest in European railway modelling.

9.2% of respondents so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Has there been any previous survey with which the results of the present one can be compared?

I do have some data from 2014 when I did a survey; or extracts from it that I can look if there's any useful comparisons although the questions are different.

This was an interesting table mapping age against scales modelled at that time.

image.png 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Comparison of that alone will be interesting. Will that 50s/60s bulge have moved on to become a 60s/70s bulge or will this survey show (as I suspect) that there's a steady influx of people newly in their 50s, with children past the age of being totally exhausting, taking up or returning to the hobby?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Even before the survey's done, seems there's interesting stuff emerging in the conversation - I'm not suggesting it will be representative of the overall survey picture of course.  Hope it's OK to share some thoughts:

51 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

9.2% of respondents so far.

A healthy percentage (yes, I am biased).   I wonder if connecting with others with similar interests, through Forums like RMweb, may be a bigger part of the hobby for modellers of overseas railways (from a UK perspective).  In my case, without lots of practical experience, the advice and encouragement I've had through RMweb made the difference between admiring European (and North American) modelling and actually trying it.

46 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I do have some data from 2014 when I did a survey; or extracts from it that I can look if there's any useful comparisons although the questions are different.

image.png 

Seems that N-Gauge modellers were around 20% of those modelling 4mm-OO, higher than I believe the overall UK average is understood to be (estimated as 10% of the total).  That doesn't surprise me - I'd expect a 'silent majority' of OO gauge modellers happily enjoying the hobby without belonging to or reading Forums like RMweb.  Perhaps another variation on my comment about modellers of European railways above?

Oh, and before I get too serious...

57 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

For anyone grumbling that there wasn't an option for their specific interest e.g. Mongolian pre-1920 Narrow Gauge or whatever don't worry about it

I think that's a trick question - I don't think there were any railways in Mongolia until the 1930s, although I believe the first one was then narrow gauge.  The trans-Mongolian railway is, I believe, post-war, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, dave55uk said:

I've just done the survey and have found (because I had to add up my stock) that I have far too much rolling stock. Over 500 wagons alone!

Which would need bout 150ft of track. You must have a big layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Which would need bout 150ft of track. You must have a big layout.

Just to keep things in proportion, if all the Midland Railway's wagon stock was lined up on the main line, it would have stretched from St Pancras to Carlisle and back again as far as Sheffield. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

For anyone grumbling that there wasn't an option for their specific interest

Firstly, guilty as charged.

Secondly and more constructively, when next you run this, maybe a few more 'Other' options to reduce the posts from Mongolophiles and other whingers? Or even 'Other - European' plus 'Other - American', and 'Other - Asian' if it seems that subdividing will be informative. And, perhaps, non-UK outline instead of 'Other' in places.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A survey like this wants to get responses in the broadest categories, to reveal the large-scale trends and also, importantly, to reduce the amount of analysis to be done. I don't think the number of responses would be sufficient for any statistically-significant conclusion to be drawn as to whether modelling of Mongolian railways was on the up or down.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Does the hobby change over the years? Most certainly so!  At least, I think so....

The age demographic will always change, as older people pass on. Manufacturers  need new markets; witness the re-emergence  of TT, and the continued popularity of narrow gauge-based scales. I think that some manufacturers have made their last steam models of the earlier  eras, simply because newer modellers can have difficulty relating to those periods. 

I can foresee a time when an implanted chip will run the model railway, with the ability to change operating functions by thought waves alone.

Late News! My implanted chip has just instructed me to go out & purchase 20x 16-ton mineral wagons. The download didn't specify a scale....

A hundred years hence... Archaeologists find a locked door in the ruins of Westwood. Unlocking the door, they find a skeleton seated at a desk, with a model of Flying Scotsman clutched tightly in its bony hands. A looped tape continues to play...

"My Precious! My Precious! Keep away! It's mine! It's mine!"   

• Funny 7

37 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Or a “my wife’s watching” answer to click. 

I've always wondered if it was an old chestnut or whether there really are some of you who have to hide the truth from the Mrs?

It's never been an issue in my house, but then my other half is a bit mad anyway.

And long may she remain so, it keeps things interesting.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

however under the question asking which area I model it would not let me select Scotland, the box simply wouldn't tick,

It must be working as there's around 100 so far for that. Or is that Forfar?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Forfar - five. East Fife - four 

Apparently that’s never happened. 

But it’s Burns night tomorrow so anything could happen. Anyone modelling Rogart Halt in Z?  😅

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've always wondered if it was an old chestnut or whether there really are some of you who have to hide the truth from the Mrs? ....

A bit of both I reckon. It's not an issue for me personally either but in the days when I was trading I saw plenty of examples of blokes hiding purchases and/or downplaying prices. Some regulars asked for goods to go in supermarket carriers or (for example) Smiffs bags. One chap brought a couple of box files to put purchases in - sorry darling, bringing work home again... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Forfar - five. East Fife - four 

Apparently that’s never happened. 

But it’s Burns night tomorrow so anything could happen. Anyone modelling Rogart Halt in Z?  😅

O. T. But it has happened once. On penalties...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Just completed as accurately as I can. My only suggestion would be to add 'other' to the manufacturer list. No survey of this kind can be exhaustive, but for those of us interested in overseas railways that option would capture the numbers buying stuff other than the UK outline producers.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

image.png 

One of the outcomes of interest will be if the peak in the age graph has shifted either towards the younger or older end. Two issues, has it done so by age as a total and also by age per scale. 

That would assist Show Managers in assessing what is currently “on trend” for scales.

• Like 2