Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modeller survey 2023

AY Mod

3 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

What brands of stock do you buy? My answer is none of them from the list, I buy from a multitude of manufactures not on the list - Roco, Kato, Tomix, Piko etc. Perhaps an overseas manufacturer option (even if it is just an option of 'Overseas') may give a better answer-set. My selection of None may be a bit misleading, as that implies I scratchbuild my stock - I don't.

75% Agreement, plus Marklin, Trix, and (pre-Hornby) Rivarossi.

I also buy from auctions as well as e-Bay. Knowingly at my own risk as to whether the models run - a good local model repair shop is key.

4 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

What time period are you interested in modelling? All of the answers were UK, but I do not model UK, so none of the answers are relevant

50% true for me. US logging in steam in HO and HOe30, and Bavarian steam in HO, and German 1900-1970s in Z, plus LMS (and maybe some pre-LMS Midland) in OO. Does not fit so I answered with just the Big 4 option. Sigh.

thanks for the questionaire 

never easy as we are all very different in our modelling preferences . appreciated being able to give multiple answers as sometimes a single one is not enough

the one that would intrigue me is by gauge and maybe by manufacturer do we feel we get value for money

• Like 2

Question "What time period are you interested in modelling?" only allows UK responses bet question "Does your modelling have a defined area/region/interest?" allows me to choose European, and question "What scales/gauges do you currently model?" doesnt allow for European Narrow Gauge (H0e/H0m).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I didn't see a "I buy models so I can sell them on for a large profit" question?

Asking for a friend..........

Nor does it say I buy models, dismantle them and put them on eBay where the sum of the parts equates to five times the value of a complete runner, oh and don't forget another £25 for the box...

Seriously though, very interesting to fill out, perhaps we could go into greater detail, but where do we stop? And will the really niche information be useful or even relevant?

Hopefully we can see an overview of the results once collated, I'm sure that will make interesting reading.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'd like to find out a little more about general trends in the hobby, why we do some of the things we do and what may be changing.

Has there been any previous survey with which the results of the present one can be compared?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Agree. But I've never yet met the survey, questionnaire, or form that corresponded to my case... 

Perhaps because, although people claim that Model Railways is a broad church, it is actually a lot of different "religions", many of which don't overlap (other than people having models that usually run on two bits of metal with parallel spacing . Like you, I suspect, my answers were focussed around a minority "sector".

Many of those that I got to know through the years, from membership of several national Societies and a local "club"  don't frequent RMWeb and so their interests will, I suspect, not get a realistic representation in the survey results. So we have to accept that minority interests will not be fully represented in whatever statistics the survey gives Andy.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Done the survey but I note that there is no phone number to ring if you need help or counselling after answering one or two questions like "How many locos, coaches, wagons do you own?"

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15

• Moderators

For anyone grumbling that there wasn't an option for their specific interest e.g. Mongolian pre-1920 Narrow Gauge or whatever don't worry about it; you're on your own and the absence of that category is unlikely to have any bearing whatsoever on the overall trends.

One of the comments:

You didn't ask me about other interests.

No, nor did we ask you about your household income or first pet's name.

I did like this in the final comments field from one responder:

Victory before death in the loft.

We suffer for our art!

Some of the comments are just bizarrely hilarious. We go from the sensible, pragmatic and optimistic such as

Times change, people adapt and the hobby moves forward, never have we been so lucky as we are now with such great quality models available in all scales. Long my it continue.

Meanwhile:

Modelling press seems increasingly hostile to consumers.

Really?

And some useful words:

More trains should go clockwise around layouts. It's the future, mark my words.

😂

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

With RMWeb being a mostly British railway orientated forum, it will be interesting to see how many of us there are that model something other than that. In particular, i'm most interested to see how many model or have an interest in European railway modelling.

• Like 3