Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modeller survey 2023

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Andy

just tried filling it out and could not post replies since it seems one or more of the questions have changed.

May I note some omissions or oversights:

Producers - Rails and Locomotion not mentioned

Some questions do not allow multiple answers others do.  For example subscriptions to magazines I receive both paper and digital copies depending on the magazine.

H0e not mentioned - do we treat this as H0 scale or 009?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Some questions do not allow multiple answers

I agree with Andy H., many of the questions need multiple selections, e.g. some of my layouts have hand built track, others use ready to lay only, also I own completed layouts and I'm building layouts.

Andi

• Agree 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

just tried filling it out and could not post replies since it seems one or more of the questions have changed.

I had to remove the 'other' option in some categories as it was being misused by too many feeling that their niche should have a different category when, in reality, it was already covered within the options given.

4 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Producers - Rails and Locomotion not mentioned

Because (apart from some of Rails 3D prints) they are produced by established manufacturers.

4 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

H0e not mentioned - do we treat this as H0 scale or 009?

If it's 4mm scale narrow gauge just do it as OO9.

• Thanks 1

Just filled out the form, maybe the question about "which manufacturers do you buy from" could be changed to which have you bought from as I would buy from all on that list if there was something I needed/wanted, or maybe  that option could be included. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
Just now, Dagworth said:

many of the questions need multiple selections, e.g. some of my layouts have hand built track, others use ready to lay only, also I own completed layouts and I'm

I'm just after broad classifications rather than too many options; just go with what you feel best applies.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just filled it out, had to "frig" a few responses for which there was no "button" appropriate to my own brand of lunacy and practice(!)

good fun, look forward to seeing the results!

Simon

Cheered me up after the dentist too, churrs....

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Just filled it out, had to "frig" a few responses for which there was no "button" appropriate to my own brand of lunacy and practice(!)

good fun, look forward to seeing the results!

Agree. But I've never yet met the survey, questionnaire, or form that corresponded to my case... 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Only one answer I couldn't respond to truthfully was the digital vs print consumption of magazines. My answer would have been "both" - as I take BRM and RM digitally and MRJ, which will probably never be digital...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I tried to answer as good as possible - there was one I had problems with. Where do you buy - I use all 3 channels - so the choice shouldn't say 'mostly on the internet'. I will for sure also scan the second hand stuff on shows, and sometimes grab some new stuff from a Highstreet retailer. 

Nice survey - what will you do with the outcome? 

• Agree 2

Done it!  Although in a couple of instances, "Which do you prefer....."?  All of them!

A few questions that I note for their absence:

What got you interested in railway modelling?

How long have you been interested in railway modelling?

What aspect(s) of the hobby interests you?

Where would you rate your skill level?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I filled it in solely for my modern 2-rail system and some of the totals were guesses. I’ve ignored my collectable H Dublo and that would add another 15 locomotives, and probably well over 150 other rolling stock items. 

I also noted no category for modellers of miniature railways, my 7mm tick was for On9 and the G scale one for Gn15. A minority interest so not significant but posted here so it does get noticed.

Also no do you buy modelling items from other genres? I get paints from war gaming suppliers, for example, and some military kits for the vehicles.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium

Nice survey, Andy.

I would have probably added a question on buying from retailers or direct from manufacturers.

Also I didn’t include my HOm stuff as it wasn’t one of your scale/gauge options.  Understandably, perhaps:  it’s a bit niche anyway...

• Like 1