The London Festival of Railway Modelling: March 18 & 19, Alexandra Palace

SteveCole

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have just been looking at my online booked ticket and there is no option anywhere to change it from the Saturday to the Sunday.  Can I just turn up with my Saturday ticket on the Sunday and be let in?

I'll need to refer that to @SteveCole and @keeley tansley for guidance.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

RMT signallers strikes have been suspended. Whilst there is no news yet on the TOC strikes, this is likely to mean a much greater capacity to operate services next week.

I do hope so....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

For anyone who's checking in with this thread, but may have missed the announcement on the BRM forum, @Phil Parker has announced the layout project to be given away to someone at the Ally Pally show. 

Purely in terms of the monetary value of the parts used, it's already a decent prize, and it looks like it has loads of potential even in the current exhibitable state. Laser cut baseboards and the 'Really Useful' brand 77 litre plastic box they fit into, low-relief warehouses from JS Models, and a really nice exhibition-ready pelmet and lid. Plus all the other goodies as seen in the video.

As yet, nobody has commented confirming that they have entered. I don't know if anyone has entered, but based on the previous round having fewer than 20 entries, I'm guessing whoever decides to enter this won't have much competition. There's no announcement on World of Railways this time (that I can see anyway), and the YouTube video is unlisted - just the above post on RMweb. Good luck to whoever enters - you'll probably have a good chance of winning.

Edited by JamFjord
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The proposed schedule for Saturday should be known and input into National Rail Enquiries database  sometime tomorrow all being well.

Got my fingers crossed that some common sense will be used and a reasonable network wide service will be run but unfortunately I fear the simple 'can't be bothered - just cancel everything' attitude may still prevail...

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had hoped to be there on Saturday by train and was expecting to be a no-show but I now appear to be helping with a layout all weekend.....injury substitution.....going up on Friday...

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With a week to go to the exhibition here's a couple of photos of New Sodbury from the Thornbury and South Gloucestershire MRC.

If the modern scene is your thing please come by and say hello. Its properly signalled with by-directional working (that should keep us on our toes..).

Second photo credit M Wardrobe.

NewSodbury.jpg

NewSodbury2.jpg

• Like 10

I have checked TfL's website and this is their latest information:

National rail strikes
Saturday 18 March 
Elizabeth line:
Due to the national rail strike today, there will be:

No Elizabeth line service between Shenfield and Brentwood before 07:00 and after 23:00
No Elizabeth line service between Maidenhead and Reading before 07:00 and after 19:00
The rest of the line will run as normal.

Other TfL services:
Other TfL services will run as normal

National rail services:
There will be reduced services across many parts of the national rail network
For further details, check the National Rail website

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2023 at 17:20, John M Upton said:

The proposed schedule for Saturday should be known and input into National Rail Enquiries database  sometime tomorrow all being well.

Got my fingers crossed that some common sense will be used and a reasonable network wide service will be run but unfortunately I fear the simple 'can't be bothered - just cancel everything' attitude may still prevail...

National Rail are showing tickets available for the hourly L&NWR Euston - Crewe service. The underground is operating so that's okay for Euston to Wood Green. Then walk/catch the free bus.

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, TomE said:

Had the following e-mail this morning. Caused a minor heart flutter! 

Our apologies, looks like a picnic issue.

• Funny 4

The MRC stand - just inside the entrance in the Great Hall - is a must-visit part of the show:

You can see the announcement of a number of new products on Saturday, plus on the test tracks you can see prototypes of a number of already announced products in action.

On Sunday at 2, its the British Railway Modelling Awards ceremony - come and see if you voted for the winners.

Find out more about The MRC - including our special show offer for new members

We've also got a series of short interviews with some of the key manufacturers, including (in no particular order)

• Fran Burke and Paul Isles - Accurascale
  • Chris Hunt - West Hill Wagon Works 
  • Richard Proudman -  Bachman
  • Ben Ando - Revolution Trains
  • Michael Revell - KR Models
  • Andrew Hardy - Rapido
  • Neil Morrll - Dapol

Follow our social media for confirmed times and updates, and we hope to record the interviews and upload them to socials if you can't get there :

Twitter - @modelrailclub

Instagram - TheModelRailwayClub

Facebook - The Model Railway Club

#LFORM

Edited by tc
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

According to the National Rail TT enquiry site the service they are showing  is now correct for 18 Match.

On GWR there are trains on most routes from/to Paddington but at reduced frequencies - for example Didcot - Paddington stoppers/semi-fasts are running hourly (last train from Paddintgton 17.27) and with what looks like more station calls east of Slough than usual (roll on the new timetable please).  Services are also running on the Thames Valley branches.

Crossrail, for those who have no other choice, is running half hourly interval to/from Reading from 06.00; last train from Paddington 22.38

When I last checked it looks as if KX - Ally pally is running as well - half hourly interval shown on Real Y Time Trains as 'STP' which implies it is a re-timed train plan.

So I can get there and all i need to do is find a means of paying to get in!!

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Southernfrance said:

I'm feeling a bit p@@d off at the moment as having avoided Covid for three years it finally got me last week, and is still around, meaning I can't be there with "James Street". I hope the show goes well for all.

Dave

Dave, fully understand you! We'd dodged it for the whole time, then went away for a few days last month and promptly came down with it. Over it now, we'd had 4 jabs and I suspect it's not as potent a bug as it once was, but not fun nonetheless. It's definitely still out there - sorry you'll have to miss the show though! 😢

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Southernfrance said:

It wasn't even much of a dose either, I had a cold that was worse just after Xmas.

And I've felt good for a week but still testing positive......grrrrr!

Dave

I tested positive right up to the middle of the tenth day but was clear on the eleventh when I had to test when work asked me for urgent cover. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1