EFE Rail Class 143/144 Pacer

AY Mod

15 hours ago, 89A said:

That's what I suspect but would appreciate any confirmation. No information in the supplied instructions.

When I tested my LMB sound chip on a decoder tester, I seem to recall that the function light which lit for interior lights was further up the scale than 4. I'll check when I get a chance,  but seems this could well be the problem.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cs233 said:

Do any of these exist that run correctly? Get constant wheel spin. Surely Bachmann tested these before the release! 

No wheel spin on mine when running on a 3rd radius loop. It is coggy at very low speed though.

• Agree 1

Regional Railways unit is running well on 2nd and 3rd radius loop with crossover.However very slow speed is as reported a bit coggy.All light functions work as they should. Dapol Imperial 2,6 function decoder.

0     To enable functions   

1      Front lights and destination board

2      Rear lights 

3     Coach lighting 

4     Rear cab light in direction of travel 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLIBOD17 said:

If one was to remove the weathering from the EFE 144’s what would be the best method please ? The factory weathering is a little heavy for my liking. Many Thanks.

It may be worth waiting to see whats in the next set of releases before deweathering.

• Round of applause 1

On 22/02/2023 at 12:09, Pillar said:

I've been test running my T&W PTE version. In general it runs ok, but at low speeds and when starting off it has quite a severe 'cogging' effect. Has anyone else experienced this with theirs or am I looking at a faulty example?

I'm running it on a Loksound V5 from Legomanbiffo (which is excellent as always).

We have had some niggles with the running of the ESU Decoders in these EFE models, not sure exactly what this is about as the two here work fine, it seems that on 2nd radius corners things are 'tight' and this effects the running. Don't think the decoder is responsible for this, what is a constant issue is the lack of any good sounds from the pre-installed speaker.

Charlie DCKits-Legomanbiffo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DLIBOD17 said:

If one was to remove the weathering from the EFE 144’s what would be the best method please ? The factory weathering is a little heavy for my liking. Many Thanks.

I used T Cut on my 144011 certainly looks a lot better now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2023 at 15:52, Legodino said:

I will try that. I have tried it on DC and a non sound decoder and it seems to be a little better as soon as I put my sound decoder in it becomes really juddery 

If ESU try setting CV54 = 0.    Charlie DCKits-Legomanbiffo

On 24/02/2023 at 15:23, longsight said:

Regional Railways unit is running well on 2nd and 3rd radius loop with crossover.However very slow speed is as reported a bit coggy.All light functions work as they should. Dapol Imperial 2,6 function decoder.

0     To enable functions   

1      Front lights and destination board

2      Rear lights 

3     Coach lighting 

4     Rear cab light in direction of travel 

Legomanbiffo/DCKits 144/143 Sound decoders are as below:

F0 Directional Lights On / Off.                                     

F1 Engine Sound On/Off.                                                                          CV259=110   CV267=128 

F2 Playable High Note Horn.                                                                   CV435=128

F3 Playable Low Note Horn.                                                                    CV443=128

F4 Passenger Doors open/close.                                                          CV283=128

F5 Playable Brake Application/Brake Dump (When Stationery).      CV291=128

F6 Drivers Door open/close.                                                                   CV299=100

F7 Compressor Speed Up.

F8 Toilet Discharge/Flush.                                                                      CV315=100

F9 Flange/Wheel Squeel.                                                                        CV323=128                                           

F10 Despatch Whistle.                                                                            CV331=110

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Bell or Buzzer.                   CV339=70

F12 Air Conditioning/Blowers.                                                               CV347=110

F13 Not Used.

F14 Automatic Coupling & Uncoupling.                                               CV363=100

F15 Passenger Announcements.                                                         CV371=100

F16 Passenger Announcements.                                                         CV379=100

F17 Passenger Announcements.                                                         CV387=100

F18 Speed Dependant (flash enabled) Detonators.                         CV395=128

F19 Cab Lights. (EFE Design is not wired for leading cab)             CV419=128

F20 Interior Lights (EFE Design has no adjustments)                     

F21 Disable Trailor Car Lights (Rear) 

F22 Disable Driving Car Lights (Front)

F21 & F22 alow lighting to be correct if running in multiple

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/02/2023 at 08:04, Pillar said:

When I tested my LMB sound chip on a decoder tester, I seem to recall that the function light which lit for interior lights was further up the scale than 4. I'll check when I get a chance,  but seems this could well be the problem.

Try F19 Cab  and F20  Lights on DCKits/Legomanbiffo Soundf Decoders.

F19 Cab Lights. (EFE Design is not wired for leading cab)             

F20 Interior Lights (EFE Design has no adjustments)                     

F21 Disable Trailor Car Lights (Rear) 

F22 Disable Driving Car Lights (Front)

F21 & F22 alow lighting to be correct if running in multiple

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/02/2023 at 08:04, Pillar said:

Well i finally got round to testing this, and it turns out I was mistaken as the interior lights are definitely on the 3rd function ouput and nothing higher. Based on Rockhopper's post above, it seems more likely that the interior lights issue must be due to a poor contact somewhere, rather than anything decoder related.

Edited by Pillar

Our Legomanbiffo ESU V5 Project has been tested in the EFE model, so it does work the appropriate functions, sadly the model is almost certainly to blame.  I have two that seem fine but one is 'poorly' and needs looking at.

Just in case people don't know, the Legomanbiffo decoder comes with another speaker to replace the one actually fitted, I extended the wires and put it in the toilet area, fully sealed in its housing kit, I tried to get into the model to take out the one in there, but gave up as its quicker re the toilet location.

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2023 at 08:56, adb968008 said:

Imagine that as a future career for pacers.

Since you have wrote that, one has been converted as such at the wensleydale railway. It has a black livery, with 2 orange down the side.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 22/02/2023 at 15:21, JDW said:

I'm minded to agree on that. I'm sure the 141 would do well too, but a 1400 would have the 'quirk' appeal that the likes of KR Models and others have proven sells, and the geographical appeal too, though a single livery might count against it.  I'd definitely be tempted - though I'm still hovering over the Buy button for a TWPTE 143...

I'd prefer KR Models not to do it, anyone else please?

• Agree 2

Also Bachmann have announced as part of their 2023 spring announcements a 143 in original provincial 2 tone blue livery, and, a 144 in WYPTE livery 2 tone red and cream.

Edited by PieGuyRob
143 twice which didn't make sense
  • Agree 1

Now that these have been out in the wild a little while, has anyone managed to improve running? I’ve tried loosening the screws as previously mentioned but performance is still horrendous, especially at low speeds.

Has anyone been drastic enough to replace the motors with a better quality alternative? If so, any tips/recommendations?

13 hours ago, Cleeton said:

Now that these have been out in the wild a little while, has anyone managed to improve running? I’ve tried loosening the screws as previously mentioned but performance is still horrendous, especially at low speeds.

Has anyone been drastic enough to replace the motors with a better quality alternative? If so, any tips/recommendations?

I have asked about the remotoring option but not finding much on that at the moment. I would be interested to know if there's one out there that can be changed.