EFE Rail Class 143/144 Pacer

AY Mod

40 minutes ago, Pillar said:

I've been test running my T&W PTE version. In general it runs ok, but at low speeds and when starting off it has quite a severe 'cogging' effect. Has anyone else experienced this with theirs or am I looking at a faulty example?

I'm running it on a Loksound V5 from Legomanbiffo (which is excellent as always).

Same with mine

• Agree 1

Funnily enough I could see a market for the 140 despite it being a one off freak and only coming in one livery, as it went everywhere trying to persuade people who might fund a fleet that going back to four wheels was a good idea.  It even ran in service in the Midlands before WMPTE flatly refused to have Nodders.  Given it ran right across the country from Scotland to the West Country, stabiliser rail territory excepted, it could make for a surprising seller given anyone could justify a Rule 1 version on test.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Funnily enough I could see a market for the 140 despite it being a one off freak and only coming in one livery, as it went everywhere trying to persuade people who might fund a fleet that going back to four wheels was a good idea.  It even ran in service in the Midlands before WMPTE flatly refused to have Nodders.  Given it ran right across the country from Scotland to the West Country, stabiliser rail territory excepted, it could make for a surprising seller given anyone could justify a Rule 1 version on test.

I'm minded to agree on that. I'm sure the 141 would do well too, but a 1400 would have the 'quirk' appeal that the likes of KR Models and others have proven sells, and the geographical appeal too, though a single livery might count against it.  I'd definitely be tempted - though I'm still hovering over the Buy button for a TWPTE 143...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDW said:

I'm minded to agree on that. I'm sure the 141 would do well too, but a 1400 would have the 'quirk' appeal that the likes of KR Models and others have proven sells, and the geographical appeal too, though a single livery might count against it.  I'd definitely be tempted - though I'm still hovering over the Buy button for a TWPTE 143...

I too think a 141 could do well, I even saw one on test in Walsall when still carrying Barrow Blue and Highland Grey livery so I could just about justify one on that basis.  The Verona green and buttermilk WYPTE livery was especially attractive even if it did highlight their bus origins a bit more than the later red scheme!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JDW said:

The 140 will happen when I've built a kit of unknown origin that I happen to have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I too think a 141 could do well, I even saw one on test in Walsall when still carrying Barrow Blue and Highland Grey livery so I could just about justify one on that basis.  The Verona green and buttermilk WYPTE livery was especially attractive even if it did highlight their bus origins a bit more than the later red scheme!

Yes, I agree, but ...

2 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

The 140 will happen when I've built a kit of unknown origin that I happen to have.

...having already built a 141, I'm hoping for the 140!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Im happy with mine and it runs fine....but...i can't get the interior lights to come on. Cab and directional lights both working. Im hitting the function keys like Liberace but nothings happening. Am i doing something wrong or does it need to go back to the shop?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Legodino said:

Just fitted the decoder to the efe rail 144, so happy until I tried to run it. It wheel spins and gets stuck on straight track!

Saw a couple of videos on YouTube and it looked like there was some resistance/they get stuck. Not good really for a £200 plus model.

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2023 at 23:26, adb968008 said:

Just to add on what weve seen already, I went a little deeper under the hood today…

D7996A19-2A20-44D9-ACC0-400C73253461.jpeg.40ba360ce53609dd51c9dc6e8b415f2d.jpeg

If the Dapol 59 and Hattons 66 were cousins, then the Realtrack 143 and EFE 143 are really twins.

its harder finding the differences, than it is to find things the same, but differences there are…

A6FC0F11-91B5-4927-99B3-07CBE6A54304.jpeg.2ee9621c91c60319555a1df2e1b0243f.jpeg

Rectangle at frame level on 3rd window from the rear has been removed.

The EFE seats are somewhat less detailed…

67435074-FE0F-4339-BC51-28486897FFED.jpeg.6b77dcfa42e62f36c0316058c8967ce4.jpeg

the circuit board is upgraded and better

realtrack

979E37E6-F239-4998-B39C-C646EEA68CCA.jpeg.c093dd69c6a3b92b667e937caf9443c5.jpeg

efe.. note this odd stepped console in the centre of the drivers desk, and the firebottle is omitted…
7D0AC078-B110-43B5-94BF-5FB89163A906.jpeg.c29aaf41bd2c7757acf62efa7752ef2d.jpeg

now just for fun, I fitted the Realtrack body to the EFE chassis…

DEA5CAE1-23CF-4592-BE3E-D821605C7275.jpeg.ea7c10a3a2ba5af939fb983301ea1e15.jpeg

its a perfect fit.

2738243B-F980-42FC-A0FA-DF244A61EFC8.jpeg.76c383b5280f10cc821c17f93a502801.jpeg

inside the body the tooling marks are identical… look at the raised outlines…

B973EFBE-3B0D-497C-BA28-8B775EEAA56F.jpeg.3fb8c7932ccfc48ce3eb246e9f36e1ca.jpeg

even the fitting holes for the gangway…

7805B655-9939-4791-8B24-DC9671C1F668.jpeg.7b4bed5e73d1c97b0447e8d4e3c028c5.jpeg

The chassis itself is the same, but with modifications, the motor cradle for the Realtrack design is still present, but instead the model uses twin motors to each axle. The positions for the screws holding the coach floor weight are in different locations…

EB081E1B-B0F5-424D-A565-549C44CFCFE9.jpeg.be38b852595e0a33c59906a208fb1b20.jpeg

ive seen and handled thousands of models in my time, and not since the Replica /Dapol dispute of the HEA wagon in the 1990’s have I ever seen such close relationships between a model.

This is imo an apples to apples comparison, with a few tweaks to the chassis and electrics to bring it more current and upto date.…

even the old loos look the same.. not that passenger could see as both dont have a door way to enter !

54D9FA7B-13D9-4F08-B183-9D3EAAAA8466.jpeg.4bbb1403a1f8ff15bb11933cc9268544.jpeg

But wait.. the retaining lugs in the weight are different..

The Russians once said imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, when comparing the il62 to the vc10… whilst the two planes look similar, its clear one is inspired by the other, but when you scratch the surface, just like Concorde and the Tu144, its clear each  was its own unique work for a substantial part. 

But what we have here is a B52 and a Tu4…, or perhaps a SAMC built MD80… looking at these two models, whilst with tweaks and upgrades, they  are twins… slight differences but imo the same parentage.

great analysis. It’s triggered a thought - the 58 and 35 models - were they identical to the Heljan releases, or were there subtle differences / markings too? I don’t have the EFE versions of either to check myself

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, amwells said:

great analysis. It’s triggered a thought - the 58 and 35 models - were they identical to the Heljan releases, or were there subtle differences / markings too? I don’t have the EFE versions of either to check myself

I thought it was made clear at the time that they were produced with the agreement of Heljan

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Norski said:

Im happy with mine and it runs fine....but...i can't get the interior lights to come on. Cab and directional lights both working. Im hitting the function keys like Liberace but nothings happening. Am i doing something wrong or does it need to go back to the shop?

Thanks.

I have 2 and both are the same.

I've fitted 18 pin decoders and F0 needs to be on together with F1 for no 1 end lights and cab lights and F2 for no 2 end. Not found any combination that puts the interior lights on. I have only used a 4 function decoder however.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Legodino said:

Just fitted the decoder to the efe rail 144, so happy until I tried to run it. It wheel spins and gets stuck on straight track!

17 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

I added some weight to the powercar which seems to help but not to cure the problem.

3 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Saw a couple of videos on YouTube and it looked like there was some resistance/they get stuck. Not good really for a £200 plus model.

Picked up from another forum that slightly loosening the 2 screws either side of the wheels on the cab ends improves free running particularly over points and curves. 

I have tried that and there is a definite improvement but still get slight hesitancy at times. The screws are extremely tight.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, amwells said:

the 58 and 35 models - were they identical to the Heljan releases,

The Hymek was the same as the Heljan original before the recent lighting and circuitry upgrade.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 89A said:

I have 2 and both are the same.

I've fitted 18 pin decoders and F0 needs to be on together with F1 for no 1 end lights and cab lights and F2 for no 2 end. Not found any combination that puts the interior lights on. I have only used a 4 function decoder however.

Could the lights be wired to a function pin beyond what is supported on your 4 function decoder?

Edited by Pillar
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 89A said:

Picked up from another forum that slightly loosening the 2 screws either side of the wheels on the cab ends improves free running particularly over points and curves. 

I have tried that and there is a definite improvement but still get slight hesitancy at times. The screws are extremely tight.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pillar said:

Could the lights be wired to a function pin beyond what is supported on your 4 function decoder?

That's what I suspect but would appreciate any confirmation. No information in the supplied instructions.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 89A said:

That's what I suspect but would appreciate any confirmation. No information in the supplied instructions.

It had crossed my mind as id fitted a gauge master decoder which i usually don't. Im not familiar with this size decoder so just assumed any brand would support the functions the loco has. I take it that's not the case?