Original etched brass kits

doilum

27 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Nowhere near the oldest, but this is a fairly elderly and by current standards crude looking kit which has popped up on Ebay.

Another new supplier on me - John Grey?

I think the John Grey kits aren't as old as you think - I understand they were drawn for N gauge, and subsequently 'blown up' for 4mm - possibly sold by/through A1 models. I've built a 'Dolphin' bogie rail&sleeper wagon and its very basic.

Jon

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

John Grey did a range of wagon kits in 4mm, and presumably in 2mm also, i remember seeing the list a long time ago, but it's lost in the tumbleweed dust bowl which passes for my brain these days.

I've got one of his bogie weltrol wagons, and if I remember correctly, it's more S scale than 4mm.

Tru Scale is another old-ish manufacturer of etched brass kits, a bit tricky and basic in places but build up into a half decent model, the owner is still with us, living in Spain I believe.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

The date on the etch is 1989 and 'm not surprised by what you say abot it being blown up from 2mm, Jon - the gaps in the planking on the overlay look huge for 4mm.

There's a man you know who lives in Sandal, a stone's throw from Walton,  who may well know more about John Grey...

Edited by Pint of Adnams
spelling correction

• 2 weeks later...

Model Railways magazine did son surveys  in the mid to late 70's on kits by Harry Drummond, in the coaches Survey part 2 (December 78) these were mentioned

Etched zinc kits

Red Rose

Etched brass

Mallard

Kemilway

Colin Waite

Jidenco

David Gray

Pendon

Metal models

In a wagons section these other makes are mentioned

Studiolith

Ray Hammond

Dick Ganderton

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

John,

the John Grey kit is a little unusual for what is most probably hand drawn etch artwork. 

Most kits of that type usually had the outlines drawn with 1mm or so black ink with Rotring or similar tubular pens. The spaces between parts weren't usually blacked in to etch away, as in that kit. There was usually just a narrow etched section around the parts with retaining tags.

The MR Magazine doesn't mention Trevor Charlton etched parts, which were very similar to Philip Millard's Rose Rose range, although I think TC did a much larger range. I thought they were available around the same time.

Jol

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

I have built one of his H&BR Suburban Coaches, other than very thin brass it was all ok. I have never found another one (so far) !!. A few years ago I think it only came as sides and ends at the time.

image.png.e2814d92a819874eb2628bc7c65ea976.png

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I knew Tony Hammond quite well when he lived in Prestatyn.

Several times when I visited he was doing battle with an etched kit for an 08 shunter.  One feature In particular I seem to remember figured highly was the radiator grill assembly!

Someone will probably be able to put a name to the manufacturer of the 08 kit …………

I’ve a feeling Tony “withdrew” from  the modelling world and (I might be wrong here) became a union officer of some sort

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Lissadell said:

I knew Tony Hammond quite well when he lived in Prestatyn.

Several times when I visited he was doing battle with an etched kit for an 08 shunter.  One feature In particular I seem to remember figured highly was the radiator grill assembly!

Someone will probably be able to put a name to the manufacturer of the 08 kit …………

I’ve a feeling Tony “withdrew” from  the modelling world and (I might be wrong here) became a union officer of some sort

MOK?

Mike.

• Agree 1

It would have been MOK.

Made up into a lovely model at s time ehen the offerings from Hornby and Lima were really basic... I seem to remember Hornby's version didn't even have outside frames?

There was also a Class 40 from the same stable which featured in an early MRJ?

• Agree 1