RMweb

Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I would have liked to see one of the unbranded triple grey locos (of which there were quite a few in the late 90s / 2000s), as this would have been perfect not only for modelling locos in that condition but as a perfect candidate for renumbering to other sectors / Transrail / Loadhaul / Mainline / EWS large logo.  Hopefully one for the next batch!

Finger is currently itching over 60059 seeing as I have yet to weather my renumbered Hornby model of this loco which has the logo in the wrong place on one side making it the perfect candidate for an upgrade.... 

I have always liked my Hornby 60s, but I think looking at the CAD this will be another of those where once I've seen the more accurate model I am going to struggle to live with what I have.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Oh goody, hopefully a load of second hand Hornby stuff will become available. As I think that model is good enough for me.

I've been waiting for that to happen with the Bachmann Deltic, but selling prices haven't changed much over the last year.

I didn't expect a new 60 would be announced. It looks great!

The Hornby 60 is still an excellent model and I don't see many people parting with theirs. I'll certainly be keeping all mine but hopefully adding some superior Cavalex ones in the future. Hornby will need to drop their prices to shift theirs.

It's a shame the only Scottish named one in this batch has already been done by Hornby. Hopefully batch 2 will have more Scottish named ones that haven't been done by Hornby. A Mainline blue Ailsa Craig would be nice!

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

An excellent choice by Cav and Alex to take on the 60. It’s a loco I’ve always liked from when they first appeared. I thought I was quite happy with my Hornby ones until I was shared the renders and photos of the 3D print which I will get a proper look at in Glasgow. Knowing how far Cav can push the cad designs this will be an exceptionally good model and as Alex said in the video it really captures the cab shape well. 

I will certainly be adding a few of these to my own collection.

We are fortunate to be a Cavalex stockist and the full range are available to pre-order now from us with just a £30 deposit to secure the 60 of your choice. You can order any variant and just pop a note if you want sound fitted at this stage. I’m sure the price will be very competitive as with the 56. 

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/

All the best

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17
  • Like 6

Fantastic news, I've been deliberately holding back on the alternative model in expectation of one of the newcomers bringing out a competing model so I'll be up for a couple with noise.  The spec looks superb and the news it is nearly in tooling is brilliant.  MI5 would be impressed with that level of secrecy.

"They" might have snatched the 91 but you are now 2-1 up in the game, loco wise.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Fantastic news, I've been deliberately holding back on the alternative model in expectation of one of the newcomers bringing out a competing model so I'll be up for a couple with noise.  The spec looks superb and the news it is nearly in tooling is brilliant.  MI5 would be impressed with that level of secrecy.

"They" might have snatched the 91 but you are now 2-1 up in the game, loco wise.

It is currently in tooling Mark.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very tempting, and I am a 7mm modeller. Despite apparent rarity I've seen, and photographed, 3 in 5 minutes here in York. And often to be seen when having a pint at The Tap on York station. The nicest published photo I have is the frontispiece of David Monk-Steel's MGR book for the HMRS. So colourful, so varied even about 25 years ago https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class60/ee6c1b074

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class60

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news. 👍

Here's GBRf 60087, when fresh from its repaint, at Colne Bridge on 18th July 2021 working 6M51, Doncaster Down Decoy to Liverpool Biomass Terminal, empty biomass hoppers.

1035283401_600876M51ColneBridge18072021RMweb.jpg.2772dda2f5c112f767a0c135e75f1840.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, 4630 said:

Excellent news. 👍

Here's GBRf 60087, when fresh from its repaint, at Colne Bridge on 18th July 2021 working 6M51, Doncaster Down Decoy to Liverpool Biomass Terminal, empty biomass hoppers.

1035283401_600876M51ColneBridge18072021RMweb.jpg.2772dda2f5c112f767a0c135e75f1840.jpg

What a cracking photo! I don’t know why, but the GBRF livery sits really nicely on the 60, I have relatively little interest in the modern day Railway scene, but I think the GBRF 60 will be on my Rule 1 list! Very much looking forward to the painted sample of the 60 in GBRF…

Will

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Scafell will be joining my Hornby Helvelyn as soon as I can get one. I tend not to worry about eras these days. If I like a loco I buy it (funds allowing). This loco looks right up there with the very high standards that are expected these days.

Would love 60081 IKB, but I expect Hornby to put that one out now that Cavalex have thrown their hat into the CL 60 ring.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Southwich said:

What a cracking photo! I don’t know why, but the GBRF livery sits really nicely on the 60, I have relatively little interest in the modern day Railway scene, but I think the GBRF 60 will be on my Rule 1 list! Very much looking forward to the painted sample of the 60 in GBRF…

Will

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that this was 60087s first revenue working after its repaint.  The 6M51 working, which is Sundays Only and runs from Doncaster Down Decoy rather than direct from Drax Power Station, is frequently used by GBRf to cycle locomotives from maintenance onto the biomass circuit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

Looks like Scafell will be joining my Hornby Helvelyn as soon as I can get one. I tend not to worry about eras these days. If I like a loco I buy it (funds allowing). This loco looks right up there with the very high standards that are expected these days.

Would love 60081 IKB, but I expect Hornby to put that one out now that Cavalex have thrown their hat into the CL 60 ring.

I doubt it. The one they did was a limited edition for rail express - they risk p&ssing off a lot of people .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

I wonder how many times people in the know have to say that ""their"" 91 wasn't designed to gazump Cavalex before people stop saying it was. 

• Agree 4