Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

It sounds like some people on here are being disrespectful because I have spoken out my views and there is really no need to have this attitude. I respect other peoples views without the need to make snide remarks. Like the example below. 

1 hour ago, SulzerPeak said:

Im sure all will be revealed in a splendid self indulgent, niave youtube review!

Nice one, no I really mean it. I wish Cavalex Models all the best with their model. I wasn't slating it for being A1A but I am a Class 60 fanatic and I love those locomotives. I just prefer realistic running and powertrain. I am not here to argue or start a mud slinging contests, all I was doing was airing my views with no offence intended. I am unsubscribing from this forum and I wish Cavalex Models all the best as I said before. 

Bye. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, BritishRail60062 said:

It sounds like some people on here are being disrespectful because I have spoken out my views and there is really no need to have this attitude. I respect other peoples views without the need to make snide remarks. Like the example below. 

Nice one, no I really mean it. I wish Cavalex Models all the best with their model. I wasn't slating it for being A1A but I am a Class 60 fanatic and I love those locomotives. I just prefer realistic running and powertrain. I am not here to argue or start a mud slinging contests, all I was doing was airing my views with no offence intended. I am unsubscribing from this forum and I wish Cavalex Models all the best as I said before. 

Bye. 

The problem is you are saying that our 60 will not have realistic running, but it will. As I said, it will haul whatever the prototype can. The number of driven wheels doesn't equate to realistic running.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, RBE said:

The problem is you are saying that our 60 will not have realistic running, but it will. As I said, it will haul whatever the prototype can. The number of driven wheels doesn't equate to realistic running.

Have no fear I have just spotted his 56091 is for sale on eBay! 8 wheel drive just too much to deal with.

Looks like Cavalex and the forum are going to miss out!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Bye. 

Not disrespectful, rather puzzled by some of your statements. If you are that on having realistic running and power train, surely that would mean replacing the electric motor and gears with a miniature diesel engine, turbo, generator, traction motors?

The real Class 60 is one of the best locomotives we have in the UK for hauling long heavy trains. The Cavalex Class 56 is equally sure-footed and able to haul its equivalent train, what more do we need?

Roy

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not disrespectful, rather puzzled by some of your statements. If you are that on having realistic running and power train, surely that would mean replacing the electric motor and gears with a miniature diesel engine, turbo, generator, traction motors?

The real Class 60 is one of the best locomotives we have in the UK for hauling long heavy trains. The Cavalex Class 56 is equally sure-footed and able to haul its equivalent train, what more do we need?

Roy

Love it. Maybe one day when nano technology really takes off and we have AI robots making that kind of thing, it could be possible. But that's for another time. I have enough people on here that hate me as it is sadly. I love the Class 60's myself mate and I would be more than happy to talk about the real things via PM if you want as I don't want to russell anymore feathers. 

Back on topic and moving onto the model. 

Whos gonna tell him that oo gauge isnt realistic? :-p

people dont seem to understand the whole centre axle thing. Its starting to irk me 

if the centre axle is FLOATING it means just that. Its not taking the weight of the loco. 

this means that having the centre axle powered, would achieve nothing! As it has no weight on it!

:-) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Whos gonna tell him that oo gauge isnt realistic? :-p

people dont seem to understand the whole centre axle thing. Its starting to irk me 

if the centre axle is FLOATING it means just that. Its not taking the weight of the loco. 

this means that having the centre axle powered, would achieve nothing! As it has no weight on it!

:-) 

Yes but if it was powered, it wouldn’t be floating. Either way, Cavalex has done the correct thing but having it the way they have. Much better for road holding and no chance of pivoting and coming off the track 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, this thread has taken off!!

I fed the word 'floating' in my initial comments a few pages back, to ensure those who do understand could - as stated above that there's minimal weight on the non-powered axle, effectively meaning the stability is there, but also there's a higher axle load on those which are powered than if she were all wheel drive, so traction should be excellent, which it is.

Look, each to their own.  If the thought of axles powered in 1:1 are not powered disturbs, then so be it - their money, their model.  For me, I like looking at models close up, but will probably never see that the centres are not powered.  The model is absolutely superb.  Fit, finish, detail, paint joins are fantastic and finish even more so.

My 56 is a keeper for me and I'm looking forwards to the 60 coming out.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, RBE said:

As I have said before, we are not preaching that it will be the most powerful loco in the world, we are saying it will be more sure footed in OO, and especially the finer scales, because of the design which to us is more important than brute strength. As long as the loco can haul in model form what the prototype can in real life that's what matters, and it will.

Once run in, I will load test my 56 on my heavier wagon rakes of 20-30 wagons. If it passes, I will look forward to a class 60 or 2.

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

Once run in, I will load test my 56 on my heavier wagon rakes of 20-30 wagons. If it passes, I will look forward to a class 60 or 2.

Well if it can't do this you are using it wrong. 😉

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Bye. 

Adding extra gearing for the powered centre axle increases drag, which affects haulage performance.  Try an experiment, take the gears off the centre powered axles on a comparative US loco and see how much its performance increases, it'll surprise you.

There where a number of 6-axle US loco's whose drive train was A-1-A, to spread the weight for increased traction, adding the associated traction motors and gearing would have increased the weight and actually reduced the available power for haulage.  The 6-axle monsters on the railroads today are very high powered and the extra weight and drag taken up by those traction motors and gearing is negated.

With my delivery of Cavalex class 56 from ultimate model railways today, the paperwork with the receipt was a short list of coming soon items from ultimate and one was "the upcoming class 60 (including our upcoming exclusive edition)" has that been mentioned in this thread before? If so I'll just go and curl up in the corner :)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

With my delivery of Cavalex class 56 from ultimate model railways today, the paperwork with the receipt was a short list of coming soon items from ultimate and one was "the upcoming class 60 (including our upcoming exclusive edition)" has that been mentioned in this thread before? If so I'll just go and curl up in the corner :)

So Ultimate Model Railways are having there own limited edition? So we have 60062 & 60081 for rails and now another for ultimate to look forward too…

6 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Do Ultimate Model Railways have a telephone number? I cannot see one on their website.

I don’t think they’ve announced what it is yet, probably to be announced later on…

• Thanks 1

I know its the first EP but will the buffer beam issue be resolved? There is no gap in reality, the buffers are snug to the base of the 'body'.

As can be seen in this lovely photo I found on Flickr..

60066 + 60044 "Dowlow"

25 minutes ago, Ravel said:

I know its the first EP but will the buffer beam issue be resolved? There is no gap in reality, the buffers are snug to the base of the 'body'.

60066 + 60044 "Dowlow"

Yes that will be sorted out don't worry. There is a reason it's like it is and we are aware of the issue. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ravel said:

60066 + 60044 "Dowlow"

Sometimes I can no longer tell if a photo is of a model or the real thing.

• Agree 1