Class 66, By Accurascale

2 minutes ago, McC said:

That issue only impacted a single batch of 37s that had been flashed with incorrect files after an ESU firmware update. 

ohhhhhh so that means the 66s will be ok and 37 as long as it  has had the update we can turn it back up??

8 hours ago, gooderz said:

I can confirm that the rad fans will be audible and if not loud enough, you can make them even louder with a cv tweak.

The fans have also been modelled as close as possible to how they operate on the real thing

This is fantastic news! Thank you very much Gooderz, really, really can't wait for this now! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

ohhhhhh so that means the 66s will be ok and 37 as long as it  has had the update we can turn it back up??

Like I said it was a single batch. Nothing before or since has been so impacted and if you have one and want it louder reach out to support for a fix. 

Edited by McC
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, McC said:

Like I said it was a single batch. Nothing before or since has been so impacted and if you have one and want it louder reach out to support for a fix. 

thank you McC i will do :) 

4 hours ago, McC said:

That issue only impacted a single batch of 37s that had been flashed with incorrect files after an ESU firmware update. 

At least you have got to the bottom of it, all 9 of my 37’s have the issue. Does the single batch include every 37 you have made to date?

Can you explain how the files changed the impedance of the speakers and how new files can correct it? Anybody with a background in electronics knows that the combined impedance of the two speakers is outside the spec of the Loksound.  Struggling to see how software can change a hardware issue. 

I would be interested to reblow my decoders with these files and report back my findings. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cliff - Exeter TMD said:

At least you have got to the bottom of it, all 9 of my 37’s have the issue. Does the single batch include every 37 you have made to date?

Can you explain how the files changed the impedance of the speakers and how new files can correct it? Anybody with a background in electronics knows that the combined impedance of the two speakers is outside the spec of the Loksound.  Struggling to see how software can change a hardware issue. 

I would be interested to reblow my decoders with these files and report back my findings. 

Hi Cliff

Unless all of your 37’s are from the same batch that’s new data for us. The impedance in the 37 is ESU specified and designed (to belabour an oft repeated point at this stage) and is identical to the IRM A class and the 55 for example none of which exhibited any issues. What changed was the tolerances of components on the loksound itself (which ESU then released firmware updates and new bass and treble controls to help with ).  

As always if you are experiencing any issue with any accurascale item we stand over them with a lifetime warranty and our support team are best placed to help

on a case by case basis where needed. (needless to say this is nothing to do with the imminent class 66)

Edited by McC
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Unfortunately, this video says nothing. In a few seconds a Class 66 flashes by at high speed. Of course, this says nothing about the real driving characteristics or the sound. Why doesn't Accurascale make a professional movie with sound from one of their prototypes. There must be one available already, right?

Not sure if this has been asked before, (also meant to ask yesterday at ally pally but forgot!) - will the sound upgrade option be compatible with previous Hattons 66’s? 

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, (also meant to ask yesterday at ally pally but forgot!) - will the sound upgrade option be compatible with previous Hattons 66’s? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

Unfortunately not as the accurascale 66 has been extensively retooled and a completely new PCB and wiring configuration used. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Passing Doncaster on the way down to Ally Pally 66171 was in yard still in EWS but looking like its up for regear to 66/6 so will get a new number and coat of red at Toton soon, apparently ten are getting done to lower their top speed to 65 and up the traction, 66221 is now 66651 after conversion.

• Informative/Useful 3

39 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Passing Doncaster on the way down to Ally Pally 66171 was in yard still in EWS but looking like its up for regear to 66/6 so will get a new number and coat of red at Toton soon, apparently ten are getting done to lower their top speed to 65 and up the traction, 66221 is now 66651 after conversion.

Strange, red paint on cars makes them faster not slower.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McC said:

Unfortunately not as the accurascale 66 has been extensively retooled and a completely new PCB and wiring configuration used. 

Is there a video of your class 66 sound functions? My old Hattons one had Legomanbiffo sound with bass speakers, which I sold to order yours.

Outside my office this morning. It chilled me to the bone realising I first saw 66001 26 years ago at Toton open day and I hadn't even started High School. Can't wait to shortly have Accurascale's 66001 in gleaming red EWS, before the paint faded on them all. 🙂

66001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Said to have been produced to fill in for other 'failing' Type 5 (former classification, but higher power) locomotives, to fill a need for better reliability / higher availability ...

26 years' operation is not too shabby.

What kind of mileage is on the 66's now?  With them being 'reliable' it must be pretty substantial by now!!

Al.

46 minutes ago, Ajax50046 said:

Outside my office this morning. It chilled me to the bone realising I first saw 66001 26 years ago at Toton open day and I hadn't even started High School. Can't wait to shortly have Accurascale's 66001 in gleaming red EWS, before the paint faded on them all. 🙂

66001.jpg

One loco that, like them or not, should be preserved. I don't know by who as the NRM is taking the last one (designated by the RHAB), which means there will be no 'legal' compulsion for DBC (or whatever they will be called by then) to offer it for preservation....

19 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

One loco that, like them or not, should be preserved. I don't know by who as the NRM is taking the last one (designated by the RHAB), which means there will be no 'legal' compulsion for DBC (or whatever they will be called by then) to offer it for preservation....

You'd like to think that when the operators come to dispose of them, 66001 (and several others) will have won over a new generation of enthusiasts to preserve them. I genuinely cannot think of another diesel that has had as much of an impact on the railway as the 66. They may not evoke as much passion, but they certainly do most jobs very well. 

I've even grown to like them and their sound, after years of dislike that they killed off so many 31's,33's, 37's, 47's, 56's, 58's...

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

GBRF will give Evening Star to the NRM when it reached end of working life, not sure on others

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, reddragon said:

Is there a video of your class 66 sound functions? My old Hattons one had Legomanbiffo sound with bass speakers, which I sold to order yours.

I’m sure Accurascale and Hornby Magazine will do a sound video together. Just give it time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, McC said:

thought so. Thanks for confirming 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

66001.jpg

a DB red 66001? Yes please from me* 👍🏻

*DB Schenker logos preferred (but I would take either!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We will indeed do a video featuring the sounds of the locos including the two different sound files in the first batch (depending on 66 variant).

As I’m sure you can appreciate it’s been very busy here the past few weeks since the 66 production samples arrived, with two big shows and arrivals in stock of the Mark 2s, banana vans and warwells. All these take up a lot of our time.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

You'd like to think that when the operators come to dispose of them, 66001 (and several others) will have won over a new generation of enthusiasts to preserve them. I genuinely cannot think of another diesel that has had as much of an impact on the railway as the 66. They may not evoke as much passion, but they certainly do most jobs very well. 

I've even grown to like them and their sound, after years of dislike that they killed off so many 31's,33's, 37's, 47's, 56's, 58's...

i think a lot of 66s will be preserved, but the option for preserving stock for them to pull has passed, so i’m not sure how useful they will be.

That said theres so many of them, they will be running mainline for years.

59’s are the bell weather… 59001 is knocking on 40 next year.

• Like 2

Off topic but the problem with preserving a 66 will be the GM prime mover / engine is currently a high value unit used in other applications especially marine so it could well prove very costly. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1