Locomotion Models Exclusive Flying Scotsman models

AY Mod

• Moderators

Exclusive Flying Scotsman models released for locomotive’s centenary year

Friday 24th February 2023, marks 100 years since Flying Scotsman – the world’s most famous steam locomotive – set off on its first journey from the sheds at Doncaster Works. To mark the centenary, model manufacturers Locomotion Models and Hornby have worked in partnership to release an exclusive model of Flying Scotsman as part of the National Collection in Miniature Series. 

Pre-orders for the ‘Flying Scotsman’ 1924 British Empire Exhibition Condition – available from summer 2023 – open today from https://locomotionmodels.com/flying-scotsman-100-years_1/flying-scotsman-1924-british-empire-exhibition-condition-deposit_1 Also launched today and available immediately are four souvenir Centenary Wagons, commemorating the history of Flying Scotsman’s livery and numbers over the last century.  

Flying Scotsman is a star attraction in the collection of the National Railway Museum (part of the Science Museum Group) in York, where it is a working museum exhibit. Synonymous with the golden age of rail travel, the locomotive is renowned as a feat of design and engineering. Designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, it was the first locomotive of the newly formed LNER (London and North Eastern Railway) and originally numbered 1472. It was given its name in 1924 after the daily 10am London King’s Cross to Edinburgh Waverley rail service. 

Supported by lead centenary sponsor Hornby, the Museum has put together an unmissable centenary programme for 2023, supported by lead sponsor Hornby, which means families and rail enthusiasts from across the UK can book tickets to an event near them by visiting the National Railway Museum’s website.

Simon Kohler, Marketing & Development Director of Hornby, said:

"Quite a few years ago I managed to persuade my then CEO that Hornby should create a suite of tools that would allow us to produce as many variants of Flying Scotsman as possible. Through these models, Hornby has had the privilege of forging a strong relationship with both the NRM and the Science Museum. We are proud and honoured to be part of Flying Scotsman’s centenary celebrations.”

The Exclusive locos and wagons being produced are as follows: 

To commemorate 100 years of the world’s most famous steam engine, we are releasing four Flying Scotsman centenary wagons. Each of these wagons represents a chapter in the life of this iconic locomotive and shows a different livery to celebrate the different appearances the engine has sported throughout the century.

_MG_2388.jpg

R60171 Centenary Wagon - LNER Green 4472

By February 1924, the locomotive appeared in its LNER apple green livery. It had also been named ‘Flying Scotsman’ after the daily service between London and Edinburgh, and given the number 4472, as shown in our first centenary wagon. 

R60171 Centenary Wagon - LNER Black 103

In common with all railway stock, Flying Scotsman was painted wartime black during the second world war to comply with blackout measures. During this time, it also held the number 103 as a result of Nigel Gresley’s successor, Edward Thompson’s, new numbering system, introduced in 1946. It is this period of the engine’s history that our second Centenary Wagon commemorates. 

R60171 Centenary Wagon – BR Blue 60103

In 1948, when British Railways was formed and rail travel was nationalised, Flying Scotsman was given its new number, 60103. It was also painted in BR Blue for a time, as represented in our third centenary wagon.

R60171 Centenary Wagon - BR Green 60103

Our fourth and final centenary wagon celebrates Flying Scotsman in its BR Green livery with the number 60103. The locomotive remained in this livery until 1963 when it was retired by British Rail. After multiple restoration projects, the engine is currently preserved in its BR Green livery, and still carries the number 60103.

_MG_2385.jpg

The wagons are available to buy now for £25 each plus postage.

R30295 LNER A1 4-6-2 No.4472 ‘Flying Scotsman’ 1924 British Empire Exhibition Condition

R30295_FS100_LNER_A1_Flying_Scotsman_Locomotion-Models_s360_3D_FR.jpg

The British Empire Exhibition Condition Flying Scotsman is available to pre-order today with a £30 deposit, or to pay in full £250 plus postage.

R30295_FS100_LNER_A1_Flying_Scotsman_Locomotion-Models_s360_3D_BK.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

The only positive I can think of is that if they sell at least the NRM gets some extra cash to make up the money they spent on this waste of metal.  Otherwise, not a fan of Flying Jockstrap, the Katie Price of locos and about as annoying.

Annoying perhaps, and I agree with you it's over-rated but its ability to draw new blood into the hobby more than justifies its publicity and exposure IMO

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Just checking if that tooling is 100 years old.

Yes, it's some very early tooling from the Hornby factory at Margate which as the documentary said, has been there for nearly a century.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

as the documentary said, has been there for nearly a century

Must be true then! ;)

I can't blame the producers for it though; depends what a researcher was told.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

this waste of metal.

Curious. Why is it “a waste of metal”? Any more than any other steam locomotive?

53 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Flying Jockstrap

Laugh!? I thought I’d never start…

(See also “Farcebook”, “Ebay”, “Trigger’s Broom”, “kettle” and all the other flogged-to-death “witticisms”)

RichardT

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of a christmas tune..

Its still the Original tooling but its had..

5 sets of wheels

4 new couplings

3 revised bodies

2 new containers

and a new box to put it all In.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Well that's my flabber well and truly gasted.  But at leats we now know where the 'Flying Scotsman; version missing from Hornby;s recently announced 'a Flyin g Scotsman for all eras' collection has got to.   But the Conflats seem like an over-priced joke in rather poor taste although plenty of US tourists do visit the NRM so might get the connection.  And maybe some collectors might actually be prepared to lash out £100 on four ;very exclusive' wagons?? 👀

And this subject is really one where the old full range of emojis could be put to good use.  And just as I was about to press the 'submit' button our mains power supply. crashed (not just ours but the whole road..  Either too many people round here are recharging their Teslas and Beemers or someone has got it in for centenarian Conflats.

• RMweb Gold

I think Mr Kohler has a set up a "Flying Scotsman intensifier ray" on the moon and very soon we will reach...

The Flying Scotsman Event Horizon, when the only things bought and sold in the world are Flying Scotsmen, and the world economy collapses.

Can I press the button now, Teach?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Considering todays the anniversary day, ive not seen much on the news about 4472.

indeed I only see its in Edinburgh now, and its back to Bury tonight.

A bit low profile, that said there is other high profile anniversary news today.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Didn't they say multiple announcements throughout the day?

So far it's nearly 2pm and we've only had this. I state 'only' as the wording suggested something entirely new, not just four conflats and yet another Scotsman (with an inaccurate image on the front of the box).

Also rather disappointed to see that the exclusive 60800 is now being flogged for £180. Bad news for me who paid the full £230, but good news for those who couldn't justify the original price tag. 

Cheers,

Edit: a further annoyance of mine is that production slots for things like the conflats and pre-grouping Scotsman coach could have been used for more worthwhile things, like say an LNER IC 225, or locos and stock actually related to Scotsman and the train from which it's name came. 

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Considering todays the anniversary day, ive not seen much on the news about 4472.

indeed I only see its in Edinburgh now, and its back to Bury tonight.

A bit low profile, that said there is other high profile anniversary news today.

According to the BBC, it carried the number 10000 at one point !!!  (look at the photos...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64758467

• Funny 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, big jim said:

I lasted 4 seconds before switching it off, once I heard the word phantasmagoria that was enough for me! 

Betjeman or Auden it ain't!

Old Nigel came up with a design for it.

The man with the marketing plan

Calling it the Flying Scotsman.

Every grandad had a go at driving it

But we know they're all full of ....

Where's my Laureate?

• Funny 3