Every grandad had a go at driving it

But we know they're all full of ....

Where's my Laureate?

get in the queue….

There was a young man called gresley,

A statue was placed for all to see, 

It came with a duck,

people said what the ****,

And it was removed overnight quite promptly! 

Edited by big jim
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

One hundredth birthday, many happy returns, such good service to the country over all these years....

Oh no Woodenhead, not you too. I thought you were better than that!

RichardT

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

According to the BBC, it carried the number 10000 at one point !!!  (look at the photos...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64758467

That was painful to read. When it left the LNER?! And many, many other awful bits.

To coin a phrase, it started badly, got worse in the middle, and the less said about the end the better.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Oh no Woodenhead, not you too. I thought you were better than that!

RichardT

I apply Triggers Broom to all steam locomotives.

You have to give it to the LNER they created a marketing sensation that outlasted not only LNER but also BR, I think only Thomas is better known around the world.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin smith said:

I like Armitage but I admit this isn't the literary equivalent of JMW Turner's 'Rain, Steam and Speed'. 

But how often do steam engines get poems written about them?

Here comes the supper train, the driver's name is Bertie. If you open wide he'll pop inside, unless his engine's dirty!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Confused. The product is called "British Empire Exhibition Condition", but isn't that what the Dublo R30207 condition is? 

At the BEE, Scotsman had the taller cab, with LNER and 4472 on the tender (like R30207). But the box for the locomotion models edition shows it with the lower cab and 4472 on the cab. 

Whilst this is arguably the most famous guise (LNER 4472 A1 corridor tender, the look she had for the majority of the LNER years), and was missing from the Dublo lineup, why is it being advertised as BEE? Also a "lower" price of £250 means presumably not Dublo (this diecast), even though it's the livery most people wanted.

Confusing and expensive 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I apply Triggers Broom to all steam locomotives.

I was speaking more in sorrow than in anger (as I’ve responded to The Johnster in another thread) not because I was hoping that you wouldn’t use that particular cliché!

The concept behind it is obviously universally applicable to any plant and machinery that requires maintenance and repair. It’s more astonishing that a lot of railway enthusiasts seem to think it only applies to FS.

RichardT

On 24/02/2023 at 19:25, Sam Szeto said:

Confused. The product is called "British Empire Exhibition Condition", but isn't that what the Dublo R30207 condition is? 

At the BEE, Scotsman had the taller cab, with LNER and 4472 on the tender (like R30207). But the box for the locomotion models edition shows it with the lower cab and 4472 on the cab. 

Whilst this is arguably the most famous guise (LNER 4472 A1 corridor tender, the look she had for the majority of the LNER years), and was missing from the Dublo lineup, why is it being advertised as BEE? Also a "lower" price of £250 means presumably not Dublo (this diecast), even though it's the livery most people wanted.

Confusing and expensive 

Have we been told exactly what will be inside the box? Is "BEE condition" the condition it was in around the time of the exhibition or the condition it was actually displayed in? RCTS 'Green book' vol. 2A fig.5 shows the loco displayed with a 6 wheel tender borrowed from class K3 (for display space reasons iirc). If the Locomotion version comes with an 8 wheel tender then this leaves yet another version for Hornby to exploit in 2024 for the centenary of the exhibition itself!

Edited by Tramshed
  • Like 3

Hopefully someone will write something Swindon style for Caerphilly Castle in August, whilst pointing out the superior merits of the Castle class and perhaps mentioning it was City of Truro that broke the 100mph barrier first! 🤭

Where's my tin hat!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, didcot said:

Hopefully someone will write something Swindon style for Caerphilly Castle in August, whilst pointing out the superior merits of the Castle class and perhaps mentioning it was City of Truro that broke the 100mph barrier first! 🤭

Where's my tin hat!

Surely if you're a gone wrong railway fan it should be a brass or copper hat?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2023 at 05:55, Bucoops said:

Surely if you're a gone wrong railway fan it should be a brass or copper hat?

As oppose to the hard hat station staff had to wear at stations on the Late Never Early Railway? 

• 10 months later...

The model is now in stock and ready to ship on the locomotion website (notified because I received an email from Locomotion). Not sure why it took so long, it appears to be the same as the Dublo 4472, but without the metal body, and £100 cheaper

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam Szeto said:

The model is now in stock and ready to ship on the locomotion website (notified because I received an email from Locomotion). Not sure why it took so long, it appears to be the same as the Dublo 4472, but without the metal body, and £100 cheaper

And correct cab and chimney!

• Like 1